Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:59 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times

Advertisements

Timely topic...

An Iowa district court ruled Thursday that same-sex couples can marry based on the state constitution's guarantee of equal treatment, court documents show.

An Iowa district judge ruled in favor of same-sex marriage.

The ruling was in response to a December 2005 lawsuit brought by six same-sex couples seeking to wed. They were denied marriage licenses and claimed such treatment violates equal-protection and due-process clauses in the Iowa constitution.

The court also struck down a state law declaring valid marriages are only between a man and woman.

Iowa court rules same-sex couples can marry - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 09:03 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
bily4 I think same sex marriages or civil unions will be an eventuality in the US. The tide is turning on this social issue and even though many Americans have problems with this I don't think the majority is in favor of discrimination.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:09 PM

454 posts, read 1,339,415 times
But the majority are oddly not in favor of same sex marriage. Seems to me lots of people don't seem to understand the underlying issues.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:13 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
What are the underlying issues?

Old 08-30-2007, 10:05 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
If political, religious, and family values are honest and strong with a couple or family why would there be any fear in that relationship of two other consenting adults? Personally I don’t care what they do or don’t do in the privacy of their own. If a relationship of two same sex people is honest – they will not have problems in their marriage. It would probably be a much better relationship then most we have today.

I would hope that the Iowa court decision would be followed by other states in time. I can’t believe that any court could deny a man or woman the right to have a command relationship with a member of the same sex. It is not my lifestyle of choice but I don’t fear the choice of others and their choice has nothing to do with my life. I accept people for who they are not for what their sexual preference is. Again, consenting adults!

Old 08-30-2007, 10:34 PM

264 posts, read 695,090 times
Now Iowans will have to go to the trouble of amending their state constitution to prohibit this abomination. But we can count on them to do it, trouble or not. While they're at it, they might review their state's process for impeachment/recall of Supreme Court justices.

Last edited by Bellinghamite; 08-30-2007 at 10:52 PM..

Old 08-30-2007, 10:35 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
If political, religious, and family values are honest and strong with a couple or family why would there be any fear in that relationship of two other consenting adults? Personally I don’t care what they do or don’t do in the privacy of their own. If a relationship of two same sex people is honest – they will not have problems in their marriage. It would probably be a much better relationship then most we have today.

I would hope that the Iowa court decision would be followed by other states in time. I can’t believe that any court could deny a man or woman the right to have a command relationship with a member of the same sex. It is not my lifestyle of choice but I don’t fear the choice of others and their choice has nothing to do with my life. I accept people for who they are not for what their sexual preference is. Again, consenting adults!
Thankyou, you are a prime example of what america stands for... freedom of choice.. and freedom for all.. and extending that offer to minority groups even when you don't have to.. but because it is the right thing to do...
People like you are hero's ... and you might not even know it..
again thankyou...

Old 08-30-2007, 11:15 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
I just find it funny that people want to protect marriage are freaking out which is ok but we have a 50% divorce rate in the US.

The people who are most enthusiastic about getting married are gays. Massachusetts which is a very liberal state has the lowest divorce rate in the nation!

Old 08-30-2007, 11:19 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I just find it funny that people want to protect marriage are freaking out which is ok but we have a 50% divorce rate in the US.

The people who are most enthusiastic about getting married are gays. Massachusetts which is a very liberal state has the lowest divorce rate in the nation!

you beat me to it....

Old 08-30-2007, 11:23 PM

264 posts, read 695,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post

Massachusetts is the second-most Catholic state in the union (47%), and Catholics are tied with Lutherans for having the lowest divorce rate among Christians (21%).

Homosexual "marriage" was established in Massachusetts by judicial fiat, not by the legislature or by popular vote.

Last edited by Bellinghamite; 08-30-2007 at 11:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies