Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 03:13 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I meant what argument does the OP have? If all types of stem cell research is being performed and funded, why on Earth are people making a big deal about it "not" happening.
Because they were only allowed to use stem cells obtained prior to 2001. Now, more scientists will be able to do more trials and experiments, leading to faster innovations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 03:14 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
They only were allowed to use stem cells obtained prior to 2001.

Obama lifted that restriction and now they can use new stem cells.

Federal Policy [Stem Cell Information]
wrongo. they were free to use any and all stem cells.

copy and paste something from your link stating otherwise.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I meant what argument does the OP have? If all types of stem cell research is being performed and funded, why on Earth are people making a big deal about it "not" happening.
oh, that.
they didn't feel they were getting enough federal money to destroy additional embryos, is my guess.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
wrongo. they were free to use any and all stem cells.

copy and paste something from your link stating otherwise.
Bush's order specifically stated they could only use embryos and lines from 2001 and prior. It was listed out directly at my link.

Human Embryonic Stem Cell Policy Under Former President Bush (Aug. 9, 2001–Mar. xx, 2009) [Stem Cell Information]

On August 9th, 2001, Former President George W. Bush announced that federal funds may be awarded for research using human embryonic stem cells if the following criteria are met:

* The derivation process (which begins with the destruction of the embryo) was initiated prior to 9:00 P.M. EDT on August 9, 2001.

* The stem cells must have been derived from an embryo that was created for reproductive purposes and was no longer needed.
* Informed consent must have been obtained for the donation of the embryo and that donation must not have involved financial inducements.

Only the existing 60 stem cell lines could be funded by federal funds.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/20090307/sc_mcclatchy/3183224 (broken link)

Quote:
Bush's restrictions limited federal funding to research on stem cells that were derived from human embryos before Aug. 9, 2001 . However, an expectation of 60 qualifying stem cell lines shrank to 21 when most of them were found to be not viable.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Bush's order specifically stated they could only use embryos and lines from 2001 and prior. It was listed out directly at my link.

Human Embryonic Stem Cell Policy Under Former President Bush (Aug. 9, 2001–Mar. xx, 2009) [Stem Cell Information]

On August 9th, 2001, Former President George W. Bush announced that federal funds may be awarded for research using human embryonic stem cells if the following criteria are met:

* The derivation process (which begins with the destruction of the embryo) was initiated prior to 9:00 P.M. EDT on August 9, 2001.

* The stem cells must have been derived from an embryo that was created for reproductive purposes and was no longer needed.
* Informed consent must have been obtained for the donation of the embryo and that donation must not have involved financial inducements.

Only the existing 60 stem cell lines could be funded by federal funds.

Obama to lift restrictions on stem-cell research funding (http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/20090307/sc_mcclatchy/3183224 - broken link)
your link says nothing whatsoever about anyone being prohibited from using stem cells of any sort.

read it again and see.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
your link says nothing whatsoever about anyone being prohibited from using stem cells of any sort.

read it again and see.
Federal funding ONLY on embryonic stem cells obtained from embryos destroyed prior to 2001. That reduced the number of lines that could be studied down to 21. No new lines, no new embryos to obtain stem cells with, as of 9/2001. Both links.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Federal funding ONLY on embryonic stem cells obtained from embryos destroyed prior to 2001. That reduced the number of lines that could be studied down to 21. No new lines, no new embryos to obtain stem cells with, as of 9/2001. Both links.

prohibition, where? 'not allowed,' where?

i'm afraid i'm still not seeing it.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
prohibition, where? 'not allowed,' where?

i'm afraid i'm still not seeing it.
I don't understand where you could not see it based on exactly what I linked. I'm assuming you're trying to line up some kind of "Gotcha" post, but federal funding was severely restricted under Bush, I don't know how you could argue otherwise.

Background and Legal Issues Related to Stem Cell Research

Quote:
Executive Action. When President Bush took office in January, 2001, he announced he would conduct a review of the stem cell research issue and ordered the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to review the National Institutes of Health's (NIH) guidelines issued by the former administration. During the review period, NIH suspended its review of applications from researchers seeking federal funds to perform human embryonic stem cell research. On August 9, 2001, President Bush announced that federal funds would be available to support limited human embryonic stem cell research. The new policy provides that federal funds may be used for research on 64 existing stem cell lines that have already been derived or were already in existence as of the date of the announcement. In identifying the 64 stem cell lines as being eligible for federal funding, the President said these embryos, from which the existing stem cell lines were created, had been destroyed previously and could not develop as human beings.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
federal funding was severely restricted under Bush, I don't know how you could argue otherwise.
federal funding? why didn't you say so? hell, i already made that point hours ago in this very thread.

again- where is the prohibition on anyone, anywhere, using any sort of cell line they choose for research purposes?

you keep showing me the same link, which has nothing whatsoever preventing any research on any cell type, embryonic or otherwise.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:36 PM

We are discussing the lifting of the ban of Federal Funds being used for embryonic stem cell research, are we not?

I am not discussing general research - simply the Federally funded research, is that not what the post I initially quoted you on was regarding, and the links I provided you with regarding as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies