Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:58 AM

304 posts, read 1,304,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
25 million animals die every year because they have no hoe, sorry but I guess I care about animals.

I think we can agree the President is careful about whatever comes out of his mouth, as he would not want to create a problem. So why even mention they prefer a rescue dog? Why open himself up to that?
Oh, for Pete's sake! Most people care about animals. Most people _here_ care about animals; and on my lunch break, I'm going to the groomer with my latest rescue, who's deaf-blind, half-lame, seizure-prone, geriatric, and whose vet costs (so far) have topped the Gross National Product.

But this is getting unreasonable.

Obama didn't make a big deal about it -- we-the-public did, because we love dogs and want to promote adoption; and the media knows that we love dog stories.
Obama made two casual comments -- in a (Sept.) TV interview, he added three words ("a rescue dog") to Michelle's statement that "I think" [we'll get a shelter dog]. And when _the press_ raised the issue in his first (Nov.) press conference, he said they'd prefer a rescue, but that the kid's allergies also were a factor.
That's _it_.
But the media fanned this -- as did the Humane Society, via its (commendable) public campaign urging him to adopt a rescue, and then by saying he'd "announced" that he'd adopt ... when, really, he didn't.

I'm sure this guy did _not_ expect the dog to be a No. 1 issue, especially as -- among other things -- the U.S. economy went to flaming hell. And after Nov., the White House tried to low-key the dog frenzy: It just issued minimalist statements that didn't tout or promise anything.

Sometimes when we feel strongly about an issue, we "see" everything through those feelings -- via understandable wishful-thinking spins, or presuming that others are as fixated on the issue as we are.
But as the saying goes, feelings aren't facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 10:32 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,528 times
Oh good grief.
Adding a dog to your family is a very PERSONAL matter,as YOUR FAMILY will be the one raising,trainng & loving it. NOT the American people. Don't people have better things to do than worry about what kind of puppy the Obama girls have?
While I feel sorry for the animals in shelters,it IS a huge gamble to get a pet from one. You never know what kind of heartache you will be getting due to bad breeders. Some peeople PREFER pure breed dogs,and that is their right. This IS the good ol' USA, and the animal fanatics have not yet succeeded in putting an end to pure bred animals,try as they might!

Old 04-14-2009, 10:38 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
BO= Barrack Obama

The narcissism and arrogance cross over to every level of this administration it appears. Guess I should name my cat "lil"....

Old 04-14-2009, 10:41 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Oh good grief.
Adding a dog to your family is a very PERSONAL matter,as YOUR FAMILY will be the one raising,trainng & loving it. NOT the American people. Don't people have better things to do than worry about what kind of puppy the Obama girls have?
If it is such a personal thing, then why didn't Obama keep it private???? Why has Obama been spouting and joking about the dog thing for months. Obama and Meeechelle made it public....once something is made public, the public has a right to discuss and criticize.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:46 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
The narcissism and arrogance cross over to every level of this administration it appears. Guess I should name my cat "lil"....
Hmmmm...

"The president's daughters, Malia, 10, and Sasha, 7, have named the black-and-white puppy Bo, according to The Washington Post, because their cousins have a cat named Bo and first lady Michelle Obama's father was nicknamed Diddley. Like Bo Diddley. "

'Bo' Is a Go: Obamas Reportedly Pick a Dog - ABC News

Old 04-14-2009, 10:48 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Hmmmm...

"The president's daughters, Malia, 10, and Sasha, 7, have named the black-and-white puppy Bo, according to The Washington Post, because their cousins have a cat named Bo and first lady Michelle Obama's father was nicknamed Diddley. Like Bo Diddley. "

Oh please, what a made up story for marketing purposes. Obama is one packaged and marketed empty suit. Got to invent some history!

Old 04-14-2009, 10:55 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Hmmmm...

Bo Diddley, schmidley..... Try not to suck in everything you read, especially from the major "news" networks. It is clearly shortened name for The One, it is what narcissists do. Everything is about them.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:00 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,431 times
Bo isn't named after Bo Diddley; he's named after Bo Svensen.

Very few people realize it, but Obama is a HUGE Walking Tall fan, but thinks Joe Don Baker wasn't as good as that Nordic king, Bo Svensen. As a matter of fact, Barry use to cruise Chitown in a blue w/white stripes Camaro, just like in Walking Tall II. I hear he even ran shine in it, but I suspect that's a load of hogwash.

He's also made the pilgramage to see Buford Pusser's death car. I know, I know, hard to believe, but is it any harder to believe than the hoo-hah made over a dog?

Old 04-14-2009, 11:03 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders View Post
Oh, for Pete's sake! Most people care about animals. Most people _here_ care about animals; and on my lunch break, I'm going to the groomer with my latest rescue, who's deaf-blind, half-lame, seizure-prone, geriatric, and whose vet costs (so far) have topped the Gross National Product.

But this is getting unreasonable.

Obama didn't make a big deal about it -- we-the-public did, because we love dogs and want to promote adoption; and the media knows that we love dog stories.
Obama made two casual comments -- in a (Sept.) TV interview, he added three words ("a rescue dog") to Michelle's statement that "I think" [we'll get a shelter dog]. And when _the press_ raised the issue in his first (Nov.) press conference, he said they'd prefer a rescue, but that the kid's allergies also were a factor.
That's _it_.
But the media fanned this -- as did the Humane Society, via its (commendable) public campaign urging him to adopt a rescue, and then by saying he'd "announced" that he'd adopt ... when, really, he didn't.

I'm sure this guy did _not_ expect the dog to be a No. 1 issue, especially as -- among other things -- the U.S. economy went to flaming hell. And after Nov., the White House tried to low-key the dog frenzy: It just issued minimalist statements that didn't tout or promise anything.

Sometimes when we feel strongly about an issue, we "see" everything through those feelings -- via understandable wishful-thinking spins, or presuming that others are as fixated on the issue as we are.
But as the saying goes, feelings aren't facts.
Once again you don't think the President thinks ALOT about what he says before he says it? When you say you PREFER and those were the words it means thats what your leaning towards. He should not have said that if he didn't intend to atleast VISIT ONE SHELTER, which they did not do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Oh good grief.

While I feel sorry for the animals in shelters,it IS a huge gamble to get a pet from one.
Thats BS. In my life I have had 3 dogs and 5 cats all from shelters and all great pets who lived long and healthy. I have family memebers and firends who have the same, so yto say shelter animals are more of a risk than a oure bred is ridiculous. In fact there are many diseases now found in pure bred dogs because of the years of breeding.
Quote:
``There are over 350 known, inherited diseases among purebred dogs, and that's pretty scary,'' said Alison Schaffer, a researcher at the University of California at Davis' Veterinary Genetics Laboratory.
Link

Old 04-14-2009, 11:09 AM

304 posts, read 1,304,289 times
PS -- We also have a different view because we're not high-profile public figures.
When I adopt a dog, only the shelter notices.
But if O. had gotten a rescue, you _know_ that the big p.r. and fuss wouldn't stop -- with the shelter using it as publicity, humane groups and blogs covering every Obama-dog development forever, etc., etc. That would be understandable, but pretty invasive.

There'd also be no guarantee that the rescue would be suitable -- hypoallergenically or behaviorally.
(And I've had rescues whose behavioral oddities weren't immediately evident, and were OK with me, but would have been a bad thing around young kids.)
Even if the kids did a "test run" with a dog, it and the the shelter/rescue would get p.r., the public would regard this as an adoption, and people would be furious if the Obamas didn't seal the deal.
If there were any problems, there'd be insider-info leaks all over.
If (heaven forbid) the dog had to be re-homed, all public hell would break loose. It would be the No. 1 news issue -- even if the U.S. was consumed by pestilence, plague, and 10-gig Windows Vista patches.

Due to the pre-dog frenzy and groups' inflated claims of what O. had "promised," the O. family probably decided that a breeder PWD was sanest -- and more likely to preserve some shred of privacy, so the kids could just _have a dog._
And since the dog had links to Ted Kennedy (who's always had PWDs, is close to Obama, and is gravely ill), there was an emotional link as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies