Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:08 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,063,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
Oh but we do lose. We lose the respect and trust of every poor family in the Catholic countries, trying to deal with the realities of a large unplanned family, who would look to us with hope that we might persuade the Pope to listen to the full range of opinion on family planning issues.

This Pope for example pardoned a Cardinal recently only to find himself condemned for his action because the Cardinal was guilty of heinous behavior. The details were fully available on the internet, but no Pope had ever bothered with the net. Realizing how out of touch he was, the Pope has established an online presence and now keeps up to date with the online news. When you just walk away it may make a few people feel better, but it does nothing to advance our interests and nothing to help those who look to us for leadership.
The pope is like any other politician. It's easier to deal with him from a position of strength. We should have our choice of ambassador in at the Vatican, not the Pope's. The way to achieve that is as I proposed. If the Pope handpicks our ambassador those poor families will lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 12:10 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,607,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Never the less, if they didn't want Caroline kennedy , then all they had to say was, "No thanks, we need no one". Not, "and I say this as if they were whinning", "We don't want her because she is for pro-choice". They can pound sand as far as I'm concerned, don't give them anyone. Four acre country or not, pitiful little army or not. there still a bunch of pathetic old fools that I wouldn't give the time of day too, let alone kneel down before. I'd smack a nun and a preast in a heart beat if they ever laid a hand on me or my family, especially the pope.
You don't have to go into orbit over your anger Catholics view the pope as representing Christ. We don't bow to the pope but to he stands for. Catholics know the pope is just another man like anybody else but is the historical representative of the early church. Anyway, saying you would hit a priest or nun is disrespectful.

I do agree that there is no reason for a government to send an ambassador to a religious organization. It doesn't make sense to me & I would be in favor of stopping the practice.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:18 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
once again you are wrong the Vatican does have an army.
Where are you getting "once again".

I wouldn't exactly think of the Swiss Guard as an ARMY in the modern sense. It's much more de facto than anything.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:22 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,369,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Well, actually you did. You did bring up the very real dangers and consequences of overpopulation? That certainly wasn't in the original post. And you did bring up the idea of only sending prochoice ambassadors to Vatican City whatever the pope may think in an attempt to bring about...how did you put it?
Since the USA is not in fact the Interplanetary Dictatorship many on CD would have her be, I think calling attention to the issue in this way is an inspired and subtle way to communicate the point. I think he should continue to send the Vatican pro-choice nominees for the rest of his first term.
The OP referred to Ms. Kennedy being prochoice. Of course I discussed that. People were posting things like they thought Obama didn't understand the Pope wouldn't accept a pro-choice ambassador. What's a poor boy to do?

Quote:
'rubbing the popes nose in it'

Your words, not mine. The principal is the same as the Black Children back in my day who came every day to the door of the schoolhouse only to be turned away by the Governor of the State or the National Guard, or sat in a diner waiting to be served. They kept returning, not to harm or humiliate, but to educate.

Quote:
Now, if you believe that do you also believe in bringing about greater understanding and attention to the rabid anti -semitism of certain islamic theocracies? Or the rampant misogyny
There you go again. That's a completely different topic. You're bringing it in. I have said nothing about it. The "rabid anti -semitism of certain islamic theocracies...Or the rampant misogyny" has nothing to do with Ms. Kennedy or the Pope.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:12 PM

439 posts, read 616,817 times
Give Caroline Kennedy a lobotomy and move on. Were is doctor Freeman when you need him.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:52 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
Do tell, and what has Carolyn Kennedy done to you to cause such hatred?
she styed out of the political eye, raised her kids and has something to give back.
Moderator cut: No personal attacks, insults, or flaming

Last edited by vec101; 04-14-2009 at 05:18 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 02:17 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,777,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The fact is tho that it has more influenece than either the netherlands or Switzeland in every likelyhood whcih is why we appoint a ambassador. I am not a catholic but the Vadican has many influeneces aroiund the world, loom at the past Polish situation just as a example;Reagan made good use of the alliance with the pope then when the UN was powerless to act.
This is absolutely true, and it was brought about by a very diplomatic Pope John Paul, who had respect for free will, soveriegn nations and accepted diversity in religion. Pope Ratzinger is a cat of a different stripe. He's declared a holy war on moral relativism and means to dicatate to the world (where catholics reside in #'s within a nation) what secular law ought to be based on religious law. He's enjoying the bridges Pope John Paul built to keep dialogue going between many faiths so no faith based wars would be instigated, but this current pope IS exploiting those relationships for his own declared agenda AT THE EXPENSE OF THE RELIGION. He's got no faith, so he means to wrest power away from governments themselves through political action comittees. What has that got to do with getting people to take personal responsibility for themselves??? See how far they stray from the bible when they commit these abuses of authority.

The line must be drawn as to the limits of power religious law may impose upon a soveriegn nation. PERIOD. If we do not establish this limit, we might as well be having the vatican dictate to america who it's next president will be, and how to properly interpret our own constitution. This is the equivalent of american taliban. They've gone too far colluding with interfaith groups and politicians alike. This is about securing power for themselves, and has nothing to do with christianity. It's an abuse of christianity, and an abuse of the flock.

Shorebaby is wanting to make her/himself out to be a victim when they themselves have been the aggressor all along. They demand blind obedience from the whole world and if you question them, you're an anti catholic bigot. Race baiting? Playing the gender card? Playing the religion card. They're all rotten, and they are NOT christians or they'd be walking their talk.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:19 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,777,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
Give Caroline Kennedy a lobotomy and move on. Were is doctor Freeman when you need him.
Great advertisement for what's become of christendom in america. Moderator cut: No personal attacks, insults, or flaming

Last edited by vec101; 04-14-2009 at 05:19 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 02:26 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,296,378 times
Note this: " The 2008 yeahbook of the American and Canadian Church , a statistical listing of major religious bodies published by Nationa Coucil of Churches, reports 67,515,016 registered members of the Roman Catholic Church. The next largest Christian group is a Protestant denomination, the Souther Baptist Church, which reports only 16,306,246 members."

65 million Catholics live in the US as we speak. Now if you keep in mind that Obama is pushing to legalize 13+ million illegals and those 13 million have families so the number will be over 35 million new "Americans" in the US and guess what???? Hispanic people are usually Catholics. So that will add to the already staggering number of Catholics.

So for all you liberals who aren't getting the whole "Catholic" thing, get ready. In a few years the banks will be closed on Catholic holidays. You laugh? They are observed in Guam, Puerto Rico,etc.

Hispanic people are devout Catholics and as they become more and more of the majority in the US, you better start to study their teachings. Sooooo no politician is going to turn their backs on Catholics.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:31 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
A ambassador to anywhere they can reject that person.
To propose a pro-choice person for ambassador to the Holy See is slapping the Vatican in the face and Obama needs to stop. They are not in ah of him and going to stand their moral ground!

The Vatican? Moral ground?

Just WHAT moral code does their protection of pedophile priests fit into?

Moderator cut: No personal attacks, insults, or flaming

Last edited by vec101; 04-14-2009 at 05:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies