Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 02:19 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Boy do you have it wrong. We are exploiting the living as a reason to torture, i.e., we will torture to keep people alive.

If I had had a loved one die on 9/11, I would be the first in line with a bamboo shoot, ready to ram it under a terrorist's fingernails to get info.
For revenge?

Because you would take pleasure in inflicting pain on another person? Somehow it would help you deal with your loss?

And there's a difference between an individual advocating torture, and a country advocating torture. Especially a country that portrays itself as a model of humanity and justice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 02:21 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Bush, Cheney, et. al. need to be brought to justice once and for all for their war crimes. This is sickening. It reduces the U.S. to the same level as other fascist societies, in which no Rule of Law applies, and in which the government can perpetrate whatever horrors they wish on another human being. Not to mention their other brilliant successes: a country flooded with illegal immigrants, outsourced American Jobs, failing banks and businesses, the suspension of environmental protection laws, and a crashing economy. Obama needs to appoint a Special Prosecutor. And do it soon.

Please click on link to see released memo:

Emptywheel » Khalid Sheikh Mohammed Was Waterboarded 183 Times in One Month

Jonathan Turley's blog:

New Torture Memos Reveal Details of America’s Torture Program « JONATHAN TURLEY
Hmmm...

"How many times do I have to waterboard you to get the information? 1... 2... 3... 4... -(skip over a few)- 180... 181... 182... 183- One hundred and eighty-three!"

Waterboarding is really a method of annoying someone to the point that they give up. It isn't friendy and nice, it isn't considerate of the subject's feelings, but it isn't mutilation, it isn't electrocution, it isn't murder and it isn't rape. It is saying, "we can subject you to extreme discomfort indefinitely without killing or injuring you and your voluntary debriefing is an eventuality, not a possibility."

This is a humane interrogation technique and Khalid Sheik Mohammed perceived justice very acutely 183 times in one month.

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 04-22-2009 at 02:32 PM..

Old 04-22-2009, 02:22 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,216,694 times
Seems to me that unfortunately we have a LOT of very sadistic people in this country........or they just don't really "get" the issue of torture.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:24 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Really so you're ok with torture??remember you can't have it both ways..that means you're ok with our soldiers tortured.
Yeah, this attitude that we must torture them because they torture ours is incredibly short-sighted, circular logic, and you are EXACTLY right when you say that this means that we no longer have the right to complain about it when done to our own.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:29 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This propaganda piece proves nothing. Additionally, you leftists will call anything "torture" that might be uncomfortable for a prisoner. Most of what you call "torture", isn't. And I personally believe we have tortured no one.
Every independent observer, including Bush-appointed judges, knows otherwise.

Quote:
Obama's purpose in releasing interrogation information was to further incite hatred for the Bush administration, and discredit our military.
That's like trying to discredit the Gestapo or the KGB.

Quote:
One has to ask, "Is this President for us, or against us?" Sadly, I think we know the answer to that question.
Who's us? If he's against the interests of the war-loving, xenophobic faction of the American people, good for him.

Quote:
Finally, we must be allowed to use some rather harsh interrogation techniques, if we are going to get vital information from captured enemy combatants.
Must we allowed to break our own country's laws?

The prisoners at Guantanamo have been living in exceptionally good conditions, having been fed well with food of their choice for their religion, clothed, and sheltered. Their good living conditions have been well documented by people who have visited, including Congressmen and Senators.[/quote]

Google "Potemkin village."

Old 04-22-2009, 02:37 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,667,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Boy do you have it wrong. We are exploiting the living as a reason to torture, i.e., we will torture to keep people alive.

If I had had a loved one die on 9/11, I would be the first in line with a bamboo shoot, ready to ram it under a terrorist's fingernails to get info.
Good for you. The people I knew and loved would be disgusted to see what the US became in the name of their deaths.

It makes us just as bad as people who attacked us.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:42 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Seems to me that unfortunately we have a LOT of very sadistic people in this country........or they just don't really "get" the issue of torture.
It seems to me that we have a lot of people in this country who really don't "get" the world.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:43 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Good for you. The people I knew and loved would be disgusted to see what the US became in the name of their deaths.

It makes us just as bad as people who attacked us.
Funnily enough, most of the people I have talked to who lost loved ones on 9/11 aren't out for revenge. In fact, in thinking about it for a moment, not one has expressed a desire for revenge to me. Many of them can't stand Giuliani, by the way. My career takes me to NYC and Long Island often (actually, my significant other is from Port Jefferson, on the island), and most of them wrinkle their nose at Giuliani's name being mentioned. some display outright contempt for the man. I won't even get into what they think of Bush and his handling of events post-9/11.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:47 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,667,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
Funnily enough, most of the people I have talked to who lost loved ones on 9/11 aren't out for revenge. In fact, in thinking about it for a moment, not one has expressed a desire for revenge to me. Many of them can't stand Giuliani, by the way. My career takes me to NYC and Long Island often (actually, my significant other is from Port Jefferson, on the island), and most of them wrinkle their nose at Giuliani's name being mentioned. some display outright contempt for the man. I won't even get into what they think of Bush and his handling of events post-9/11.
Yup, and I find it ironic that the people screaming TORTURE THEM! are the ones who were hundreds or thousands of miles away when it happened.

Giuilani was never a popular person in NY, and the fact that he constantly drops 9/11 for his personal gain has made him even less liked.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:57 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
It seems to me that we have a lot of people in this country who really don't "get" the world.
WTF do people like you know about the world outside your grandpa's outhouse? You're full of nothing but racist innuendo and other habitual mental constructs that you absorbed from talk radio and the break room at Quick-Lube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies