Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 09:20 PM
pba

410 posts, read 917,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
Blacks used different restrooms than whites for a LONG time. How were those values not accepted when it took decades to change them? Are you honestly saying those traditions did NOT exist and were not accepted for quite a while until they were outlawed? You seem to imply that racism was not a major issue in our nation's history? Maybe the facts were exaggerated?

You're saying I'm pretending? Equal rights has to apply in a nation where we preach equality.
First of all, there's no such thing as equal rights. For most people there is a difference between right and wrong. I believe gay marriage is wrong and therefore do not want gays to have the same marriage rights as straight people. I do NOT believe in equal rights in this case and never will.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:21 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,544,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
This idiot now added to ignore.
More name calling when asked to answer tough questions. Why is it the conservatives think the liberals have a monopoly on the name calling?

Old 04-23-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pba View Post
First of all, there's no such thing as equal rights. For most people there is a difference between right and wrong. I believe gay marriage is wrong and therefore do not want gays to have the same marriage rights as straight people. I do NOT believe in equal rights in this case and never will.
Wow. No such thing as equal rights? Isn't that what our nation is all about "freedom and justice for all"? Isn't that a basic American value? Why should one group determine the rights of another?

Old 04-23-2009, 09:24 PM
pba

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Many people also believe that a couple should get married in church, yet here we've got thousands of couples getting married in city hall or having a non denominational ceremony. Where's the uproar?
I think the argument there has to do with religion which I'm not a big believer in. I can believe in God and the Bible but not in religion. If that's the case then the Church becomes irrelevant. It's the belief in God that matters.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pba View Post
My goal is for the following law to be enforced in every state in the country because gay marriage is a criminal act and also goes against the Bible.
And you have the right to your religious beliefs, as does everyone else. But you don't necessarily have the right to force your beliefs upon everyone else or expect everyone to live by your religious beliefs.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:28 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,326 times
Quote:
Blacks used different restrooms than whites for a LONG time.
Across the whole country or in selective parts?

Quote:
How were those values not accepted when it took decades to change them? Are you honestly saying those traditions did NOT exist and were not accepted for quite a while until they were outlawed?
Did that reflect the whole country like you continue to pretend or part? Are you saying that race is the same as sexual behavior?

A black cannot control being black while a homosexual can control their behavior which defines them.

Quote:
You seem to imply that racism was not a major issue in our nation's history? Maybe the facts were exaggerated?
Really? Just because I'm not Obama trying to lay the crimes of some on all I'm pretending racism has never been a problem?

Quote:
You're saying I'm pretending? Equal rights has to apply in a nation where we preach equality.
Well while not equality for predisposed pedophiles and alcoholics. what nerve do you have for telling a drunk to not drink and drive. It's his nature. Why should he abstain?

Last edited by Omahabound; 04-23-2009 at 09:44 PM..

Old 04-23-2009, 09:30 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You really think that the APA and every other medical organization in the country changed their stance on homosexuality because "gay activists" in the 1970s pressured them? And that those organizations just haven't had the will to challenge gay activists for all of these years?

Wow. You must think that gays have an awful lot of power.
No, I just do my research. Perhaps you should too.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:31 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
IF the gays are so tolerant then they'll respect her views.
I agree. However, let's not judge an entire group of people based on this one pageant and an obnoxious judge. I read a couple of comments today where people said they were gay & wish Perez Hilton would just shut up.

However, I don't see how Carrie Prejean can say for sure that her answer cost her the crown, because that's the same as telling Miss NC that she didn't deserve it. IMO she didn't word her answer well. (To me it sounds like a speech, not an answer.)

Why is she saying now that her sister is a gay right activist? Didn't she specifically said that "in my family" we believe marriage should be between a man & a woman? So does that mean her sister is not part of the family.

Exact words: "And you know what, in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody there, but that's how I was raised and that's how I think it should be, between a man and a woman."

I realize this isn't the Nobel Prize & these women aren't chosen because they're rocket scientists, but she could have used better phrasing. "I think I believe.." doesn't show she really knows what she believes. Also, what the heck is "opposite marriage?" I know I'm picking on her, and I realize she was nervous, but maybe that's what cost her the title, not her opinion. However, since I didn't watch the competition, I honestly can't give my opinion on who deserved it. It was a tough question and one I'd have trouble answering in such a short time.

Last edited by justNancy; 04-23-2009 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: fix post

Old 04-23-2009, 09:33 PM
pba

Quote:
Wow. No such thing as equal rights? Isn't that what our nation is all about "freedom and justice for all"? Isn't that a basic American value? Why should one group determine the rights of another?
No, that's not what our nation was based on. Originally, blacks weren't equals, women weren't equals, only land-owners could vote, etc. etc. The idea that this country was based on 'freedom and justice' * for all should have come with a disclaimer (unfortunately).

* except for blacks, women, gays or any other group that the majority of Americans ever wants to discriminate against.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:35 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Quote:
So you have no problem with NAMBLA huh? I mean, isnt our nation about freedom and justice for all? Who are you to detirmine the rights of others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies