Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2009, 09:07 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,573,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You do realize that homosexuals and those who advocate for their rights have been standing up for what they believe in for decades now, right?

Same with those who opposed slavery while your ideology supported it.

Same with those who liberated women while your ideology sought to oppress them.

Same with those who liberated blacks while your ideology sought to keep them as second-class citizens.

Perez Hilton is a tool for sure, but you are missing the fact that the freedoms of our nation have been bulit by people standing up for what they believe in. You just don't see it because you're on the wrong side of history and support a social conservative ideology that has consistently oppressed peoples' right to stand up for what they believe in.
I thoght Lincoln was a republican and I thought he was the one that fought to end slavery.I am from mexico, I dont know ?
how dare you compare gay and lasbians with slavery. I do know that blacks lived throuhgt hell in those days. When were gay and lasbians sold on the market? and how much did they went for? When were they tied by a tree and whipped into becoming striaght agian? When were the gay and lasbians not allowed to vote?
The fact is they have always been free. What they really want is attantion,to be notice and be acepted by the american people. No law in the world can make people like what they do. If it goes agianst thier believes most americans are agianst gay mariage Just the people of California one of the most liberl state in the U.S.A.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:25 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,994,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
I thoght Lincoln was a republican and I thought he was the one that fought to end slavery.I am from mexico, I dont know ?
how dare you compare gay and lasbians with slavery. I do know that blacks lived throuhgt hell in those days. When were gay and lasbians sold on the market? and how much did they went for? When were they tied by a tree and whipped into becoming striaght agian? When were the gay and lasbians not allowed to vote?
The fact is they have always been free. What they really want is attantion,to be notice and be acepted by the american people. No law in the world can make people like what they do. If it goes agianst thier believes most americans are agianst gay mariage Just the people of California one of the most liberl state in the U.S.A.

You don't know anything about the history of this country.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:34 AM
pba

410 posts, read 917,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
oh dear.. I don't think I've ever had anyone pick my posts apart and quote the same post for so many responses one after another.. you have been a busy little bee haven't you..
while I was initially hesitant to engage you... on second thought.. what the hell..
so here it goes
I'll keep my response short so it's actually readable.....

• Creating laws against gay marriage does not discriminate against their civil rights. Nothing in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights says gays can marry so that's why the Supreme Court will need to have a final say in this.
  • Slavery in the Bible is not based on race. You conquer another set of people and they become your slaves. That's how the world worked for thousands of years. So the thought that the general consensus was that modern slavery was accepted based on religious beliefs is simply wrong and I would not have supported that.
  • You said, 'Hate is when you characterize people and treat them differently under the law'. No, it's not. It does reflect my willingness to not treat everyone equally though. We're only talking gay marriage here and when gays want to marry they should not be allowed to pretend they have the same rights as me. Marriage between a man and a woman is the foundation for building families and living as God wants us to. I don't hate gays but I disagree with their right to marry.
  • Everyone should be subjected to the laws of the Christian faith. We definitely disagree on that. Now there are parts of the Bible I struggle with so it's not like I'm going to stone someone to death for working on a Sunday. However, our current laws ARE based on the Bible so you've already missed that point.
  • The fact that you don't share a belief in God is caused by the fact that you are willfully pushing God away from you and if you continue to do that then you will NEVER truly know God.
  • You have no idea how old the earth is. 6,000 to 8,000 is the best range though according to the scriptures. Science points to carbon dating but this is just another example of Satan working to create doubt in people's minds to draw them further away from God.
  • Gays are second class citizens at best when it comes to marriage. Marriage is between one man and one woman. That's why polygamy is also something I'm against.
  • Your analogy of why whites couldn't marry blacks is ridiculous and is irrelevant to this discussion.
  • Anyone capable of saying this (which you did), "research male anal orgasms sometime" is so clearly being driven by Satan that I will truly pray for you and others like you. You could very well live a happy life while you're here on earth and enjoy the sins you are committing. However, the eternity that you will spend at the feet of Satan will be your future. I hope it's not. I hope you do find God some day but the plain fact is that millions like you will wind up 'burning in hell' as you mentioned.
Miss California gave an honest answer that reflects the beliefs of the majority of people in this country. Her millions of supporters are proud of her stance.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:50 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,390,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
of course not.. the laws on the books use to make being gay illegal.. they were challenged in the courts.. and overturned..
Sorry, you said constitutions. If a constitution is amended, then it's legal. If we amend the US Constitution to make homosexuality illegal, are you gonna act like it's all good?

The point being is it's not a matter of law at all with you. It's a matter of agenda.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:53 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,390,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I can't say that I'd be "completely" behind it because I understand that research can reveal new facts and lead us to different conclusions, but yes, if experts said that homosexuality was a disorder, I would take them seriously. At some point, I think we have to trust experts. There's no way for each of us to know everything about how the world works.
Sweet. So I suggest you go and research how the APA went about removing homosexuality as a disroder. It had nothing to do with science and their approach then has been anything but science. That whole healthy skepticism supposedly attributed to science is now completely absent from the APA when it comes to homosexuality. They do not tolerate any research that may lead to a determination that there's anything possibly negative about homosexuality.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:09 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,661,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
Sweet. So I suggest you go and research how the APA went about removing homosexuality as a disroder. It had nothing to do with science and their approach then has been anything but science. That whole healthy skepticism supposedly attributed to science is now completely absent from the APA when it comes to homosexuality. They do not tolerate any research that may lead to a determination that there's anything possibly negative about homosexuality.
That's preposterous.

You're saying that all of the major medical and psychological associations have been willing to allow millions of Americans to live with a mental illness due to the pressure of some homosexuals back in the 1970s?

And how would you explain the studies that show brain differences between gay men and straight men, and the differences in cognitive abilities between the two groups?

Old 05-02-2009, 04:23 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,284 times
Default a sin is still a sin...wherever it begins...regardless of the win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That's preposterous.

You're saying that all of the major medical and psychological associations have been willing to allow millions of Americans to live with a mental illness due to the pressure of some homosexuals back in the 1970s?

And how would you explain the studies that show brain differences between gay men and straight men, and the differences in cognitive abilities between the two groups?
the brains of both alcoholics and liars have also been studied, both pre and postmortem. chemical imbalances of dopamine and serotonin have led many researchers to conclude that these imbalances may lead to alcoholism and lying. in addition, the psychopathology of antisocial personality has shown some correlation between both a lack or excess of these same chemicals. the manifestation of antisocial personality, nonetheless, remains an aberrant occurence in the scheme of behavioral study. even with chemical imbalances, pharmacology can arrest or control some of one's impulses. one may even be able to refrain from acting out serial murder, aberrant sexual misconduct, and/or pathological lying. if not the case, the mere fact that an arcane group of individuals rebrands the behavior of a relative few as normal and acceptable behavior does not, in fact, make it true. the same is true with god. being a homosexual is not, in and of itself, condemation; it is the practice of homosexuality that is unacceptable to god. the action of the man: not the man. from the beginning of time, homosexuality has been an unnatural occurence and an unnatural behavior. man may seek the acceptance of the abberant, however, god does not...nor will he ever.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:29 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,441,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post

Old 05-02-2009, 04:32 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,441,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pba View Post
I'll keep my response short so it's actually readable.....

• Creating laws against gay marriage does not discriminate against their civil rights. Nothing in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights says gays can marry so that's why the Supreme Court will need to have a final say in this.
  • Slavery in the Bible is not based on race. You conquer another set of people and they become your slaves. That's how the world worked for thousands of years. So the thought that the general consensus was that modern slavery was accepted based on religious beliefs is simply wrong and I would not have supported that.
  • You said, 'Hate is when you characterize people and treat them differently under the law'. No, it's not. It does reflect my willingness to not treat everyone equally though. We're only talking gay marriage here and when gays want to marry they should not be allowed to pretend they have the same rights as me. Marriage between a man and a woman is the foundation for building families and living as God wants us to. I don't hate gays but I disagree with their right to marry.
  • Everyone should be subjected to the laws of the Christian faith. We definitely disagree on that. Now there are parts of the Bible I struggle with so it's not like I'm going to stone someone to death for working on a Sunday. However, our current laws ARE based on the Bible so you've already missed that point.
  • The fact that you don't share a belief in God is caused by the fact that you are willfully pushing God away from you and if you continue to do that then you will NEVER truly know God.
  • You have no idea how old the earth is. 6,000 to 8,000 is the best range though according to the scriptures. Science points to carbon dating but this is just another example of Satan working to create doubt in people's minds to draw them further away from God.
  • Gays are second class citizens at best when it comes to marriage. Marriage is between one man and one woman. That's why polygamy is also something I'm against.
  • Your analogy of why whites couldn't marry blacks is ridiculous and is irrelevant to this discussion.
  • Anyone capable of saying this (which you did), "research male anal orgasms sometime" is so clearly being driven by Satan that I will truly pray for you and others like you. You could very well live a happy life while you're here on earth and enjoy the sins you are committing. However, the eternity that you will spend at the feet of Satan will be your future. I hope it's not. I hope you do find God some day but the plain fact is that millions like you will wind up 'burning in hell' as you mentioned.
Miss California gave an honest answer that reflects the beliefs of the majority of people in this country. Her millions of supporters are proud of her stance.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:02 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,661,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
the brains of both alcoholics and liars have also been studied, both pre and postmortem. chemical imbalances of dopamine and serotonin have led many researchers to conclude that these imbalances may lead to alcoholism and lying. in addition, the psychopathology of antisocial personality has shown some correlation between both a lack or excess of these same chemicals. the manifestation of antisocial personality, nonetheless, remains an aberrant occurence in the scheme of behavioral study. even with chemical imbalances, pharmacology can arrest or control some of one's impulses. one may even be able to refrain from acting out serial murder, aberrant sexual misconduct, and/or pathological lying. if not the case, the mere fact that an arcane group of individuals rebrands the behavior of a relative few as normal and acceptable behavior does not, in fact, make it true. the same is true with god. being a homosexual is not, in and of itself, condemation; it is the practice of homosexuality that is unacceptable to god. the action of the man: not the man. from the beginning of time, homosexuality has been an unnatural occurence and an unnatural behavior. man may seek the acceptance of the abberant, however, god does not...nor will he ever.
My friend, you had me until you started babbling about "God". When you're talking about psychology and medicine, you need to stick with non-secular arguments if you want to be taken seriously by most Americans.

I could say that cancer is brought on by God, and that you just need to pray enough if you want it to go away. Who would take me seriously? (Well, maybe you would, but most wouldn't.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies