Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:53 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,326,558 times

Advertisements

Gore's expertise is looking serious and terrifying/indoctrinating a generation of school children into his sham.
He wants no part of any adult discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 10:55 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,298,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Sorry, but I'll never believe in a theory whose adherents unilaterally declare the debate over and begin to attempt to destroy anyone who disagrees with them. That is not science rigorous enough to base policy on. Usually when someone is afraid to debate with facts or answer questions, its because they're lying or hiding other agendas.
First of all, nobody's trying to "destroy" anybody. Don't be a drama queen.

Second, nobody's "afraid" to debate him. His position has already been debunked by the worldwide scientific community. Holding a "debate" with this person would be equal to holding a "debate" about Obama's place of birth.

Third, there is no "debate" over climate change. Ten years ago, yes. Now, no. And, unless you're a climate scientist, you don't have the intellectual capital to declare that the science is not "rigorous enough."

Fourth, if Gore is "lying" or "hiding other agendas," then so are the majority of other climate scientists across the globe. Must be an international conspiracy, I guess. An enormous, secret, GLOBAL, "liberal" plan to take money from the wealth through cap-and-trade.

People who live in the dark ages about climate change need to educate themselves on the issue. This isn't a game. And it certainly isn't a partisan issue (unless you're claiming that scientists the world over are in secret league with American "liberals"). This is the most serious issue in the history of humanity. I know you don't want to believe that. In fact, apparently, it is simply too large a threat for you to believe. Understandable. Back in Galileo's day, the majority of the populace (not to mention the Pope) thought he, was well, was not only "lying," but had an anti-God "agenda." In general, the people who are climate skeptics are people who've never made a good faith effort to truly understand the issues. They take their "information" from right-wing political pundits and blogs, preferring to wrap themselves in the cloak of ignorance and denial, rather than confront the facts and have their whole world view fall apart.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,679,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
They aren't "afraid" of what he has to say. Gore isn't going to "debate" every crackpot global warming skeptic that comes down the pike. This guy is a politically motivated crank.
Science is all about debate. New data comes about that can change a hypothesis. Dictating science will not win Gore friends.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:58 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,603,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
Plus they don't want to risk stealing more money from the tax payers.

Typical. Global warming is a scam and Gore is a scam artist that can't stand the light of truth.

Report: Democrats Refuse to Allow Skeptic to Testify Alongside Gore At Congressional Hearing | Climate Depot
i agree i love your photo a chimp refusing to listen to anything about global warming. this is prophetic. the pantomime is by a chimp the speech is by an ape, rush limbaugh.
america has found a cost effective way to deal with global warming, denial.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Look at one time the vast majority of scientists thought the earth was flat. I don't understand people running around with their fingers in their ears screaming it's decided, it's decided, there will be no more research must less debate.

Open your mind, all good scientists are skeptics.
If you were actually educated on the state of climate science, you would know that the debate is over. Ten-fifteen years ago, climate scientists who believed that accelerated climate change was likely anthropogenic were still willing to say that there was a possibility--however small--that they were mistaken. They are no longer willing to say that. And the climate scientists who were more skeptical about the anthropogenic nature of accelerated climate change are no longer skeptical. Many climate scientists, however, DO continue to disagree on a number of other issues, radiating from the now-established threat of anthropogenic climate change.

‘The scientists aren’t even sure’—No scientist ever is | How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: Responses to the most common skeptical arguments on global warming | Grist

Old 04-24-2009, 11:07 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,478,227 times
Quote:
Are you INSANE? If you truly think that the politically motivated anti-climate change idiocy promoted by ONE SCIENTIST--in concert with a right-wing, Republican organization--somehow overrides the opposite opinion, held by the VAST MAJORITY of the world's climate scientists, you are not living in the real world. That defies simple logic. Because what you are saying, in effect, is that world scientists are in on some nefarious plan to scam the people of the world about climate change. This is simply conspiracy theory of the tinfoil hat variety.

The environmentalist website I cited is highly reputable. The fact that you are so blinded by right-wing ideology that anything AT ALL that comes from a so-called "liberal" point of view--which actually doesn't apply in this case, since many, many climate scientists are apolitical--is somehow suspect--well, that's just sad.
Nope, Perfectly sane. And perfectly capable of listening to both sides of a debate unlike some others I can think of here.

Firest off, he's not just one scientist. There are many that disagree with the theory of man made global warming and what if any effect it will have on the planet. If you think every scientist that is skeptical on this issue is a right wong zealot, dupe or toadie and every scientist that agrees with you is pure as the wind driven snow - then you are the one buying the tin foil hat conspiracies.

The site you linked to is no less biased then the site called out by the other poster. I clicked on several of the questions I myself have about global warming on the page and found most of the answers full of drivel and based on the presumptions I found unconvincing. A cursory look at some other pages kind of sealed the deal for me. This global warming issue is becoming a religous crusade for some and do not expect to find answers about my doubts in about it from a church of hard core adherents. Many climate scientists may be apolitical but that site wasn't.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
And Gore's not?

Your side will never - never - win over people to your point of view unless you willing to debate & persuade them. Declaring the discussion over is self defeating. Every incident like this just builds the skepticism, and every skeptic is not going to do anything to change things.

So if you are really concerned about this issue drop the "debate is over" bull pucky and get to work CONVINCING people, not dictating to them.
Why should you be "persuaded"? Why don't you have the integrity of mind and intellect to actually inform yourself on the issue, rather than respond like a petulant child and challenge others to "persuade" you? There's no "persuading" or even "discussing" with people who refuse to invest the time in actually educating themselves on the issues. Especially when that refusal is grounded in a bizarre paranoia about political "agendas." I don't have a "side" or a "point of view" on climate change, any more than I have a "point of view" on whether water is wet. I'm sorry, but the discussion on whether climate change is here, in an accelerated form, and is anthropogenically caused, IS over. If you cannot--or will not--accept that, then you've simply decided that you refuse the overwhelming evidence by the world's climate scientists. And that is your prerogative. On another note, and just fyi, scientific discovery often ends debate--this is not unusual.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Science is all about debate. New data comes about that can change a hypothesis. Dictating science will not win Gore friends.
The repeated connection that right-wingers make between Gore and climate science exposes their ignorance about climate science. Gore did not invent climate science, he did not create the theories, he is not a climate scientist. He simply educated himself on the subject, and because he has children and is desperately concerned for their future--and the future of all children--he does his part in trying to share the information. Predictably, however, the right-wingers fly, like bats, out of the dark ignorance of their cave and begin to excoriate Gore. It's idiotic. Gore is beside the point.

Here's the leading venture capitalist in the U.S. on climate change. I guess he's in league with the nefarious underground "liberal" conspiracy, as well?

John Doerr sees salvation and profit in greentech | Video on TED.com

Old 04-24-2009, 11:20 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,478,227 times
Reply in bold

Quote:
First of all, nobody's trying to "destroy" anybody. Don't be a drama queen.

Really? Go talk to Bjorn Lomberg or some of the others who have dared question the dogma and see how its been for them.

Second, nobody's "afraid" to debate him. His position has already been debunked by the worldwide scientific community. Holding a "debate" with this person would be equal to holding a "debate" about Obama's place of birth.

Gore has consistantly run from debate after all ( in best wooden voice) "The da-bate is O-ver", right?

Third, there is no "debate" over climate change. Ten years ago, yes. Now, no. And, unless you're a climate scientist, you don't have the intellectual capital to declare that the science is not "rigorous enough."

So only climate scientist are allowed to participate? I can expect to see you not posting or engaging in debate on policy subjects about which you do not have a PHD in?

Fourth, if Gore is "lying" or "hiding other agendas," then so are the majority of other climate scientists across the globe. Must be an international conspiracy, I guess. An enormous, secret, GLOBAL, "liberal" plan to take money from the wealth through cap-and-trade.

No I see it as a vehicle beoing used to shape the world into their vision of how it should be, because if we don't do what they say THE WORLD WILL END!!!!

People who live in the dark ages about climate change need to educate themselves on the issue.

Funny how some leftist always claim their opponenets need to be "educated" when they themselves are not willing to be educated about facts that do not fit their preconvived beliefs.

This isn't a game. And it certainly isn't a partisan issue (unless you're claiming that scientists the world over are in secret league with American "liberals"). This is the most serious issue in the history of humanity. I know you don't want to believe that. In fact, apparently, it is simply too large a threat for you to believe. Understandable. Back in Galileo's day, the majority of the populace (not to mention the Pope) thought he, was well, was not only "lying," but had an anti-God "agenda."

And in todays world some are charged with lying and having an anti earth agenda.

In general, the people who are climate skeptics are people who've never made a good faith effort to truly understand the issues. They take their "information" from right-wing political pundits and blogs, preferring to wrap themselves in the cloak of ignorance and denial, rather than confront the facts and have their whole world view fall apart.

I'm not the one in this debate who won't confront facts I don't agree with.

Pot Meet Kettle.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Nope, Perfectly sane. And perfectly capable of listening to both sides of a debate unlike some others I can think of here.

Firest off, he's not just one scientist. There are many that disagree with the theory of man made global warming and what if any effect it will have on the planet. If you think every scientist that is skeptical on this issue is a right wong zealot, dupe or toadie and every scientist that agrees with you is pure as the wind driven snow - then you are the one buying the tin foil hat conspiracies.

The site you linked to is no less biased then the site called out by the other poster. I clicked on several of the questions I myself have about global warming on the page and found most of the answers full of drivel and based on the presumptions I found unconvincing. A cursory look at some other pages kind of sealed the deal for me. This global warming issue is becoming a religous crusade for some and do not expect to find answers about my doubts in about it from a church of hard core adherents. Many climate scientists may be apolitical but that site wasn't.
Yes, actually, the site IS apolitical--although I know you don't believe that. But this discussion is over, as far as I'm concerned. You know NOTHING about climate science; this is a COMPLETELY politicized issue for you; and I could spend MONTHS on this ONE THREAD trying to explain to you why the science is sound, and it wouldn't make any difference. I could cite source after source, read book after book aloud to you--by Nobel Peace Prize winners--and you would STILL insist that it's a subterranean liberal plot. Your position is, in fact, insane. It's functionally insane, but it's still insane. You have so much more faith in your paranoia, and are so much more profoundly emotionally invested in it--out of your hate for some imagined left-wing conspiracy--that any discussion with you on the issue is an exercise in self-flagellation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies