Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:16 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Sorry, but when one side won't participate in legislation on an issue that the majority of Americans want, what else can be done? All the GOP wants to do is obstruct this. They aren't playing nice.

I say go for it. Americans will cheer. And if there are problems, we'll have to fix them later.
And if the problems make things worse will fixing them too late make any difference? I think it will but there is a chance that since all white males who think a certain way have been called possible terrorists they may well pass some kind of restrictive laws that keep us from voting in 2010 and 2012. We of the far right wing terrorists, according to Ms. Napolitano may well be outlawed and in jail by 2010. i can't wait to see the problems caused by having to build all those new jails and feeding the millions of us just to keep us from voting but I think that Madame Pelosi and her HOuse of ill repute might try something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 10:26 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Try this one on -

Rasmussen Reports™: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Data Anywhere (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/issues2/articles/29_favor_national_health_insurance_overseen_by_fed eral_government - broken link)

Twenty-nine percent (29%) of American adults favor a national health insurance program overseen by the Federal Government. A Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey found that 39% oppose such a government-led initiative while 31% are not sure.

Like I said - its far from a settled issue and if there is going to be any real chance at successful reform its going to require a broad coalition to get done. Hopefully Pelosi & Reid aren't so mesmerized by their cheering section at the DailyKos they fail to relize this. I think Obama is.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:55 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Try this one on -

Rasmussen Reports™: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Data Anywhere (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/issues2/articles/29_favor_national_health_insurance_overseen_by_fed eral_government - broken link)

Twenty-nine percent (29%) of American adults favor a national health insurance program overseen by the Federal Government. A Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey found that 39% oppose such a government-led initiative while 31% are not sure.

Like I said - its far from a settled issue and if there is going to be any real chance at successful reform its going to require a broad coalition to get done. Hopefully Pelosi & Reid aren't so mesmerized by their cheering section at the DailyKos they fail to relize this. I think Obama is.
It was only a matter of time when someone brought in Rasmussen polls as something that truly represents America... (I've always wondered about why conservatives prefer Rasmussen) if your assumptions are true, why not let the democrats be held responsible for what comes with the reforms?

People will hate it, and fall in love with republicans all over again. After all, they voted for these policies in November... let them get a taste of what they asked for. May be, Repubs will get the love once again, and will have the opportunity to return to the Nixonian policy that they're in love with (no more than they are in love with the lobbyists though).

Old 04-24-2009, 11:06 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,217,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
And if the problems make things worse will fixing them too late make any difference? I think it will but there is a chance that since all white males who think a certain way have been called possible terrorists they may well pass some kind of restrictive laws that keep us from voting in 2010 and 2012. We of the far right wing terrorists, according to Ms. Napolitano may well be outlawed and in jail by 2010. i can't wait to see the problems caused by having to build all those new jails and feeding the millions of us just to keep us from voting but I think that Madame Pelosi and her HOuse of ill repute might try something like that.
Do you take it as a personal challenge to see just how much nonsense you can pack into one comment? I think there are at least 6 flat-out lies in there.

When someone starts babbling this incoherently, then it's time to just back away slowly, saying soothing things, and hoping that the nut doesn't follow you.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:33 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
If the Democrats are going to find ways to circumvent democracy, fine,
Circumvent democracy my ass. This 60 vote BS is relatively new (but in place back in the 90's) so are you claiming the US wasn't a democracy for the first 220 odd years of it's existence? Majority rule is democracy, bright boy.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:35 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
BTW Rasmussen is a horrible source because it does push polling. That's why all the other polling agencies dismiss Rasmussen results and have much, much higher accuracy in they're polling.

Of course the push polling, trying to talk people into polling how you want them to poll, is the main reason the right loves Rasmussen.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:41 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Who is going to pay for it? We are all ready trillions of dollars in debt and now the IRS is collecting less tax revenue due to job outsourcing, huge lay offs and poor consumer spending. Talk about adding insult to injury.
How about if the rich start paying social security tax on income over $97,000/year? That would generate a helluva lot of revenue, it seems to me.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:11 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
The LA Times is reporting that the dems may not need 60 votes to pass healthcare reform. Dems closed in a deal today to push through legislation that would require only 51 votes to pass healthcare legislation. With 58 dems, we don't need a single GOP Vote. The Dems may not even need the blue dogs.
Democrats may maneuver around GOP filibuster on healthcare legislation - Los Angeles Times

Classic hypocrisy!

"At a briefing with reporters this morning, Harry Reid said that Republicans attempted to "ruin our country" when some tried to change Senate rules so that only a simple majority would be needed to confirm judges, a legislative maneuver dubbed the "nuclear option."

The Weekly Standard

Someone explain to me how the Republicans are the party of "no" when we have yet to have a real debate about anything that has been done to date.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:16 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Obama ran on a platform. People voted for his policies. Repubs lost. They need to learn to deal with it.

Besides, their memory may not serve them well, but they got thru their major policies (most noticeably tax cuts in 2001 and 2003) using reconciliation. Time for them to go look at a mirror, wipe tears off, and come back with some ideas that are designed to help the nation, things people deserve and want. Until then...

Old 04-25-2009, 12:17 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Its the voters GOPers should be worried about. Like in 1993, they will do their best to see the bill is defeated. Losing it doesn't help them at all, politically (besides, their lobbyists would be mad as hell).
Have you forgotten what happened Nov. 1994?

Clinton went hard left (abortion, gun control, tax and spend) and paid the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies