Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:03 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times

Advertisements

The feminists would be bitching and moaning endlessly if a college comes out with a "mens' studies" program. They'd probably file tons and tons of their own lawsuits and the programs would likely be struck down by the courts.

Seems like modern society is sexist after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 09:38 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Taxes View Post
What you said earlier and what you said later are two different things. I have come across feminists and some of them do look down upon men, so perhaps you are one those people. Or perhaps, you didn't correctly explain yourself at first and then re-explained yourself which is a different stance, hence the backpedaling.

I have also come across men who look down upon women and people who look down upon others based on skin color. It unfortunate and not exclusive any specific sex or race.

But anyhow....

What is your problem? You write things like

Quote:
Who the hell would want to major in Women Studies? Its a useless degree that attracts women.

Quote:
[Womens studies] is a watered down liberal arts/sociology degree.

Quote:
Sigh...finding WS as a non applicable degree is not the same as putting women down. I find other degrees as non-applicable, such as literature, philosophy, art history, dance, and communication. Stop taking it personal.

And then you have the nerve to try and chastise Who?Me? because of the following comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Luckily I, along with a few million other women , learned not to care what men think, it's what we think that counts.

Based on your comments above, you are a perfect example of the kind of man whose opinions women, as well as men and women in those fields/practices of study, should not give a hoot about. Are you insecure about your own field of study and thus need to dismiss entirely other fields and those that work in them? Do you have any expertise in these fields that would make your dismissals credible? Or perhaps you are in a newer, more vocationally-oriented field and feel that the overt connection to the marketplace and, what I will assume based on your comments, higher percentage of men in that field somehow makes your work inalienably more valuable. And this value, in turn, makes your judgment on fields in which you most likely have no expertise worthwhile and true? Well, that is certainly one thought on 'value' and how it works. Perhaps you might try doing a little research on the different conceptions of "use" and "value." You'll most likely find that your conception isn't the only one and, to a number of people, certainly not the most worthwhile.

Last edited by helenejen; 04-27-2009 at 10:15 PM..

Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The feminists would be bitching and moaning endlessly if a college comes out with a "mens' studies" program. They'd probably file tons and tons of their own lawsuits and the programs would likely be struck down by the courts.

Seems like modern society is sexist after all.

I thought this had been explained already... history is littered with the accounts of men while undermining if not totally bypassing the importance of women. Occasionally we're a footnote, or even a few paragraphs but rarely are women the focus of attention. Why should anyone be offended that some women would want to learn about their own genders achievements? Who can we related to more than our fellow woman?

I learned history, I learned men's studies. I also learned women's studies and from both I think I have a fairly well rounded education of history.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:07 PM

654 posts, read 466,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
What is your problem? You write things like
I find it a non-applicable degree that does attract women. Perhaps I should have explained myself better. I would prefer to see more women in the hard sciences, where they would actually earn more, which would empower them more. So, I do believe that it is attracting them away from other potentially empowering fields. Of course, you can disagree with me. The only profession that you can actually apply a WS, is teaching WS. Why make a career about how hard women have hard to struggle instead of struggling to make an actual career? Sociology and liberal art degrees are just as good, if not better substitutes.

As regarding a "men's studies" degree, I would find that even more of useless degree. So, what is your theory on that?

Quote:
And then you have the nerve to try and chastise Who?Me? because of the following comment:
Yup, disregarding someone's opinion solely based on sex deserves chastising. Do you disagree?

Quote:
Based on your comments above, you are a perfect example of the kind of man whose opinions women and/or people in those fields of study should not give a hoot about.
If you they care, then that makes two of us. I find degrees in philosophy, communication, Latin, women's studies, men studies, dance, art history, and poetry useless. Sure there can be some value derived, but the actual use is limited. You have the right to disagree with me and you have the right to pursuit one of those degrees. Its your dime, not mine.

Quote:
Are you insecure about your own field of study and thus need to put down other fields and those that work in them? Perhaps you are in a newer, more vocationally-oriented field and feel that the overt connection to the marketplace somehow makes your work more valuable? That is certainly one thought on value.
My field of study has been around since 1776 and I am happy that more women are entering it and its not just a "good ol' boys club".

Quote:
Perhaps you might try doing a little research on the different conceptions of "use" and "value." You'll most likely find that your conception isn't the only one and, to a number of people, certainly not the most worthwhile one.
Obviously, people disagree with me. I can see the potential value of studying WS, but I don't see its use and it is not the only field of study I feel that way about.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:21 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
I find it a non-applicable degree that does attract women. Perhaps I should have explained myself better. I would prefer to see more women in the hard sciences, where they would actually earn more, which would empower them more. So, I do believe that it is attracting them away from other potentially empowering fields. Of course, you can disagree with me. The only profession that you can actually apply a WS, is teaching WS. Why make a career about how hard women have hard to struggle instead of struggling to make an actual career? Sociology and liberal art degrees are just as good, if not better substitutes.

As regarding a "men's studies" degree, I would find that even more of useless degree. So, what is your theory on that?

Yup, disregarding someone's opinion solely based on sex deserves chastising. Do you disagree?

If you they care, then that makes two of us. I find degrees in philosophy, communication, Latin, women's studies, men studies, dance, art history, and poetry useless. Sure there can be some value derived, but the actual use is limited. You have the right to disagree with me and you have the right to pursuit one of those degrees. Its your dime, not mine.

My field of study has been around since 1776 and I am happy that more women are entering it and its not just a "good ol' boys club".

Obviously, people disagree with me. I can see the potential value of studying WS, but I don't see its use and it is not the only field of study I feel that way about.

I see your point. Many women don't want to go into the sciences and that should be okay. Women are VERY empathetic for the most part which is why we excel in the social sciences. It comes very naturally to us, as we have that strong maternal instinct.

I myself got a degree in Music Composition and theory, got a few ASE certification, worked in an auto shop for a few years and I'm now in the Aerospace Industry. It was EXTREMELY difficult to succeed in the auto business and I was told numerous times (by men AND women) that they prefer me not to work on their car, as I was a women and they didn't trust me.

I think regardless of degree, if you choose something you love and study it you are doing your job. Obviously I'm not using my Music Theory degree, but the class I did take helped me land the job I'm currently at.

And as a quick p.s., earning power does NOT equal empowerment. I would not feel better about myself if I earned more money, but I would if I helped even ONE woman discover her true beauty.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:27 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I thought this had been explained already... history is littered with the accounts of men while undermining if not totally bypassing the importance of women. Occasionally we're a footnote, or even a few paragraphs but rarely are women the focus of attention. Why should anyone be offended that some women would want to learn about their own genders achievements? Who can we related to more than our fellow woman?

I learned history, I learned men's studies. I also learned women's studies and from both I think I have a fairly well rounded education of history.
I have to agree.

My point is that if a specific program devoted to "women's studies" should be permitted, a specific program for "men's studies" should be permitted as well. Anything less would be sexism....no more, no less.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:27 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Everything you need to learn about women is right here:

Men Are Better Than Women, by Dick Masterson

Old 04-27-2009, 10:28 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Economics!

(I'm too tired to respond to the rest, though I agree with SOME of your responses.)

Old 04-27-2009, 10:30 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
We have had, and continue to have, "Men's Studies"...it's called "History"....most history books lightly skim over anything related to women, women in general,and their significant, and EQUAL contribution to humankind.
It is called history. Bwahahahahhaahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:34 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Maybe they want to go into social services? Become a counselor in a womens shelter? Surprisingly there are things you can do with a womens studies degree...
Iron a mans pants? Oh, sorry...just looking at the financial situation in the US, UK, Mexico, Canada, Somalia...uhh...maybe a trend here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies