Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:13 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,964,372 times

Advertisements

I am always shock to see so many than think one man got us into this situation. There is plenty of blame to go around if you really want to look not just wall street or elected officals. There was alot of greed and basci don;t care attitude as logn as I get it by main street too.Just looking at the 140% of income on average spent says alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 08:15 AM

233 posts, read 701,822 times
Nothing much rational here, just the usual partisan anger and pointing of fingers. Let me try to be objective. Could you logically blame Obama for these disastrous first quarter numbers? That answer would be no of course. This is just a continuation of the deep economic recession that began late in the second term of George W Bush. So that would mean that once again it's all W's fault, right? I would say a dispassionate look at the record would show that there are lots of guilty parties. Do not let liberals off the hook because the Fannie Mae Freddie Mac part ot the debacle is mostly their fault. Do not forget the almost stupefying incompetence of the Fed, which helped to create the housing bubble, just as they caused the dot.com bubble that preceded it. In fact if you do a little historical research you'll find that the policies of the Fed usually have a toxic affect on the American economy. Why this unconstitutional bank is not obliterated from the landscape is beyond me. In any case there are lots of guilty parties responsible for the mess we're now in, and of course our most recent ex President is just one of many.

It will take some time before the Obama administration can be judged on its handling of the economy. Based on what has been done so far I'm not holding my breath for a return to real prosperity any time soon. Having people like Paul Volcker in decision making positions does nothing to inspire my confidence. Volcker and his predecessor did more to destroy American industry than any one person or event in our nation's history. Creating money out of thin air may eventually trigger a round of 70s style inflation without creating very many meaningful jobs. I appreciate the difficult position the new President has been put in, but his stimulus showed little vision or creativity and lots of old time waste and pork. Like Ollie once said to Stan "this is a fine mess you've gotten us into." Both parties are brain dead and the Republic is sinking like the Titanic. Now everyone can go back to the usual partisan bickering.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:08 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,159,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAI126 View Post
Nothing much rational here, just the usual partisan anger and pointing of fingers. Let me try to be objective. Could you logically blame Obama for these disastrous first quarter numbers? That answer would be no of course. This is just a continuation of the deep economic recession that began late in the second term of George W Bush. So that would mean that once again it's all W's fault, right? I would say a dispassionate look at the record would show that there are lots of guilty parties. Do not let liberals off the hook because the Fannie Mae Freddie Mac part ot the debacle is mostly their fault. Do not forget the almost stupefying incompetence of the Fed, which helped to create the housing bubble, just as they caused the dot.com bubble that preceded it. In fact if you do a little historical research you'll find that the policies of the Fed usually have a toxic affect on the American economy. Why this unconstitutional bank is not obliterated from the landscape is beyond me. In any case there are lots of guilty parties responsible for the mess we're now in, and of course our most recent ex President is just one of many.

It will take some time before the Obama administration can be judged on its handling of the economy. Based on what has been done so far I'm not holding my breath for a return to real prosperity any time soon. Having people like Paul Volcker in decision making positions does nothing to inspire my confidence. Volcker and his predecessor did more to destroy American industry than any one person or event in our nation's history. Creating money out of thin air may eventually trigger a round of 70s style inflation without creating very many meaningful jobs. I appreciate the difficult position the new President has been put in, but his stimulus showed little vision or creativity and lots of old time waste and pork. Like Ollie once said to Stan "this is a fine mess you've gotten us into." Both parties are brain dead and the Republic is sinking like the Titanic. Now everyone can go back to the usual partisan bickering.
Well said.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:19 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,547,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAI126 View Post

BEST POST EVER....I agree everyone could go back to bickering..

rep to you +10

Old 04-29-2009, 09:28 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,055,801 times
Yep, just wait 'till Government Motors gets going (down the toilet)

Old 04-29-2009, 10:53 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,535,204 times
I wish the hell we would go back to bickering. That would mean nothing is happening from the government. Without government, the economy would recover just fine.

Why is it people think something, anything has to be done? Do nothing, and thinks will turn out fine.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:57 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,260,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I wish the hell we would go back to bickering. That would mean nothing is happening from the government. Without government, the economy would recover just fine.

Why is it people think something, anything has to be done? Do nothing, and thinks will turn out fine.

Exactly. Government intervention is just accelerating the problem.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:14 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,055,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post

But if they did nothing they wouldn't be able to crow about how great they are and how stupid,criminal and inept the other party is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies