Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 08:24 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times

Advertisements

spending the RNC money vs spending personal funds, yet some of u cannot see the big difference what a shame, i wish i could make the letters bigger, cause obviously some of you didnt read thw story and the funy thing about it was that fellow republicans were criticizing her first mainly from mccains end
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 08:31 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Without even reading the thread or the comments, has anyone debunked this nonsense already? Because Michelle Obama goes to great pains, always has, to dress moedstly and within a reasonable budget. If she did splurge, $540.00 is alot cheaper than other wardrobes recently in the news. So I'm wondering why its even a story. She is also a brilliant woman, unlike the other one who wanted to be one 72 year old heartbeat away from being President, and racked up $150,000 tab for herself and her tribe in only three months

Payback time from the elitists

Old 05-02-2009, 08:34 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
michelle obama wants to be our queen. she believes she is entitled to it.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Regardless of politics, why does anybody need to wear shoes that cost so much? Is it the mentality that once you are one of the "elite" that this is okay?

Seriously folks, when people are suffering and starving in the world what kind of statement does this make. ESPECIALLY when speaking at a food bank where people are at their financial lows?

And I AM NOT making this an issue with Mrs. Obama's politics. Republicans are as guilty of this as anybody.

Can someone confirm why this kind of crap seems to be necessary with the wealthy and famous?

For crying out loud, if I were to win 30 million dollars tomorrow, I guarantee you that my clothes/shoes would still be bought to save the most money (BET on it).
If you make $200,000 a year, or more, you might even drive a car that costs $50,000.00 instead of one that cost $20,000.00.

It's really basic math.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:30 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
If you make $200,000 a year, or more, you might even drive a car that costs $50,000.00 instead of one that cost $20,000.00.

It's really basic math.

My math too is very basic. My cost of living expenses are very basic (i.e. I keep them WAY down). My earning power is ALSO between 170-200K/yr. My pre-owned AMERICAN made car is 12 yr old, and paid off. Basic. My house is very simple, nothing fancy, very basic. I don't own a dishwasher, microwave or toaster. Just basics. My clothes are nice, nothing fancy, very basic. Some nice articles found at GoodWill. I rarely take expensive vacations or globe trot. Just a basic little vacation once in a blue moon.

Oh....my "sneakers" cost $60. And that was too much. But yes, they are just basic.

Too bad the "first family" can't get a clue and lead by being frugal and timely in a very bad economy, when so many are suffering. Just basic common sense and propriety.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
My math too is very basic. My cost of living expenses are very basic (i.e. I keep them WAY down). My earning power is ALSO between 170-200K/yr. My pre-owned AMERICAN made car is 12 yr old, and paid off. Basic. My house is very simple, nothing fancy, very basic. I don't own a dishwasher, microwave or toaster. Just basics. My clothes are nice, nothing fancy, very basic. Some nice articles found at GoodWill. I rarely take expensive vacations or globe trot. Just a basic little vacation once in a blue moon.

Oh....my "sneakers" cost $60. And that was too much. But yes, they are just basic.

Too bad the "first family" can't get a clue and lead by being frugal and timely in a very bad economy, when so many are suffering. Just basic common sense and propriety.
And name the last fundraiser or photo op that you were the guest speaker at. Tell us about the garden you are planting to educate inner city children on the value of nutrition. And on and on and on.......

You can live frugally because you have common sense, Michelle Obama ALSO can live frugally because she has common sense and respect for the value of a dollar. As her wardrobe proves.

But our government was not so thrifty under the Republicans. And a good indicator of that was, in a campaign to elect the President, the Republican Party trotted out a Barbie Doll and outfitted her with $150,000 dollars on clothes. And told America: Take this woman seriously.

That is extremely symbolic, thats how they spent money for 8 years. And THAT is extremely disturbing. Cause those dollars they spent over the past 8 years are ones that you and I worked for.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:49 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
$500.00 is not alot of dough to spend on apair of kicks, she could of showed up in a conservative $1200.00 pair of cole hann's or Forzieri's something . People hate having a trendy first lady. BTW I wonder how many pairs of hand made Cowboy boots Bush has ?

Last edited by thriftylefty; 05-02-2009 at 10:20 AM..

Old 05-02-2009, 10:10 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Hmmm, let's see if all the lefty critics of Sarah Palin's eyeglasses come out and say anything about the first ladies shoes I'm guessing this gets buried, unlike the media circus that was, when Palin's wardrobe was at the forefront of her campaign.
Palin didn't pay for her own clothes, Sherlock... the real issue was Cindy McCain's $300K outfit or whatever it was... but that was another stupid issue for folks to pick up on... but let me get this stratight... are conservatives now going to begrudge success? Is that what it's come to in the bizzaro world of noe-conservatism?

Old 05-02-2009, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,773,471 times
Some of you are so bitter and attack Michelle to feel good about your crappy lives. Stop being so envious of her.

First of all, Lanvin probably sends the Obamas lots of free clothes/shoes and if so, I highly doubt Michelle knew how much they cost.

The designer of Lanvin loves Obama and even dedicated the end of his men's runway show in Paris to Barack with a look-alike Barack Obama model coming out at the end while "Hail to the Chief" music was playing.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:00 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Without even reading the thread or the comments, has anyone debunked this nonsense already? Because Michelle Obama goes to great pains, always has, to dress moedstly and within a reasonable budget. If she did splurge, $540.00 is alot cheaper than other wardrobes recently in the news. So I'm wondering why its even a story. She is also a brilliant woman, unlike the other one who wanted to be one 72 year old heartbeat away from being President, and racked up $150,000 tab for herself and her tribe in only three months

Payback time from the elitists
Doesn't matter what anyone else did or does. The facts are that the Obamas have tried to tell everyone that they are all about being part of the people, but in reality both of them are nothing but part of the elite class and nothing more. Anyone that would spend that much on shoes is an idiot and nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies