Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:14 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,958,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I believe that homosexuals are a bunch of limp wristed sodomites, who sound like a purse fell out of their mouth every time they open it. That doesn't mean I disrespect the right of someone to engage in homosexuality and incorporate that into their life.

Now, if my statement is not acceptable, then why is yours?
Excuse me! If I had you in my room right now you'd be the one with the purse honey.

You are entitled to your statement so it is acceptable to you

Old 05-01-2009, 11:16 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,699,815 times
Quote:
I believe that homosexuals are a bunch of limp wristed sodomites, who sound like a purse fell out of their mouth every time they open it. That doesn't mean I disrespect the right of someone to engage in homosexuality and incorporate that into their life.

Now, if my statement is not acceptable, then why is yours?
I think your statement is perfectly acceptable if you don't mind the majority disagreeing with you. In a debate, I think it's appropriate to speak with a little more verve than we normally would in order to make a point.

I actually laughed a little at your statement. I don't know if you were trying to be funny, but you got a laugh from me nonetheless.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:16 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,718,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
Excuse me! If I had you in my room right now you'd be the one with the purse honey.

You are entitled to your statement so it is acceptable to you
I appreciate your consistency; a rare trait amongst your kind. (Leftists that is, not homosexuals )

Old 05-01-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think your statement is perfectly acceptable if you don't mind the majority disagreeing with you. In a debate, I think it's appropriate to speak with a little more verve than we normally would in order to make a point.

I actually laughed a little at your statement. I don't know if you were trying to be funny, but you got a laugh from me nonetheless.
I was; and my comment to Mississauga applies to you as well. Although, I do wish that you/we could be a little more civil, though I guess that comes with the anonymity of the internet.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:21 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,699,815 times
Quote:
I was; and my comment to Mississauga applies to you as well. Although, I do wish that you/we could be a little more civil, though I guess that comes with the anonymity of the internet.
I think chances are good that we'd get along fine in real life. The anonymity of the internet does change the dynamics of communication quite a bit.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I think chances are good that we'd get along fine in real life. The anonymity of the internet does change the dynamics of communication quite a bit.
Agreed. Going to bed; 'night.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Going to bed; 'night.
Night babe. Don't y'all spell night - nite. R U part of the commonwealth?

Old 05-02-2009, 12:10 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,535,085 times
The same way we need out parents to guide us and our teachers when we went to school. Those "ancient fairy tales" have the wisdom of the ages in them.

Read it, live by it or not. I will live by it like I took what I learned from my parents and teachers to heart when growing up.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
The same way we need out parents to guide us and our teachers when we went to school. Those "ancient fairy tales" have the wisdom of the ages in them.

Read it, live by it or not. I will live by it like I took what I learned from my parents and teachers to heart when growing up.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 05-02-2009, 05:22 AM

38,648 posts, read 26,418,133 times
Quote:
I really don't understand. Is it that some people just can't cope with life on their own?

And then, not only do they use the Bible to guide them through life, they feel a need to use the Bible to pontificate and tell others how they should live.

If you can't figure out how to live your life without an ancient book of fairy tales telling you what to do, then why should anyone follow your lead? It sounds like the blind leading the blind.

If the Golden Rule is "do unto others as you would have them do unto you", I would like to add a second Golden Rule: Live and let live.
Allow me to explain. It isn't a matter of coping since so much of the Christian walk actually makes life far more difficult. For example, I am not at liberty to lie even when one simple shading of the truth would keep me from a far worse situation. I am an auto mechanic by trade, but I have walked away from the field because employers expect mechanics to lie to customers. In fact, the mechanics who lie the best generally make more money than those less effective at deception. In my case, I walked off a job one day because I was being pressured by a manager to wrongly diagnose a rubbing noise/binding as a rack instead of a far less expensive part. It became a situation in which I had to choose between my faith and my livelihood. It was a no-brainier. My 17 yr old niece will likely have to abandon her plans to become an RN because of BO and Congress rescinding the Freedom of Conscience laws that have protected medical personnel from being forced to participate in abortions. She is also paying a price for her faith in Christ. I could go on and on about the difficulties that arise for us because we have separated ourselves to Jesus. A lot of it most people wouldn't even think of because it doesn't come up in their lives. If life is too hard to cope with as is, becoming a Christian will certainly add to the difficulties.

Were the Bible an ancient book of fairy tales as you describe it, I could do as I like. I would be immune from the rejection (well illustrated by your comments) that being a Christian brings. I could hang out in bars with everyone else and not be the odd ball who doesn't show after work. I could join in the latest gossip, use all the profanity I liked, refuse to help, despise others, cheat on test, speed in my vehicle, litter or anything else that made life more convenient for me. But this is simply not the case. The Bible is it's own witness due to the fact that events that were to happen hundreds and thousands of years into the future have come to pass at the exact times predicted, In fact, excepting those still in the future, no prophesy recorded in the scriptures has failed to come to be at the correct time. It's a smoking gun.

Daniel (of lion's den fame) was given a number of prophecies that concerned events far into his future. He lived at a time when Israel was being punished for their rebellion as captive slaves in Babylon (Iraq) for a period of seventy years. The prophecies he was given explained what would take place in the future concerning the Jewish people, The Messiah (Jesus Christ), the church (those who accept Christ) and the time of the end. Other Prophets contributed to the account of these future events. Some was understood by those who originally recorded the scriptures, but much of it was not. As time has progressed much has been revealed to us as history has unfolded. The end of WW2 is a critical point since it marks the end of Israels extended punishment. They were already being punished, but then they continued to sin causing their punishment to be extended. This period ended in 1948. If you would honestly desire to know what makes Christians so certain of what they believe, certain enough to give up careers and life-long friends, take the time to study the material presented in the links below.

THE 70 WEEKS OF DANIEL

7 YEAR PEACE TREATY SIGNING: A NATION REBORN MAY 14 1948

10 Prophecies Fulfilled in 1948 - Talk Jesus | Christian Forums & Chat

http://net.bible.org/bible.php?book=Dan&chapter=1

http://www.faithalone.org/news/y1996/96march1.html (broken link)

This link is to a Hebrew/Julian converter in case you would like to verify dates.

Hebrew Date Converter - 15th of Nisan, 5769

This link explains part of why I even bothered, and satisfies both of your golden rules.

YouTube - Penn Says: A Gift of a Bible

Last edited by momonkey; 05-02-2009 at 05:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.