Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: AS a percent of population does America have a higher percentage of trashy people than ever before T
Yes, as a percentage of the population more people are trashy today 6 60.00%
NO! Americana's in general are getting better, remember the 1970s? 0 0%
It depends on your definition of trash 3 30.00%
No opinion 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 03:00 PM

943 posts, read 3,160,779 times

Advertisements

My parents are always telling me that they are convinced the the world is going mad. They admit that there has always been troubled and trashy people in the world and right here in their hometown but not to the levels that there is today. Just look at television and the movies and what is popular. Look at the Man on the Street interviews? Look at he Jerry Springer shows. Just look at what is going on in our schools and the poor quality workers in our places of work.

Is America going into a huge decline because there are just so many trashy people or has there always been a large number of trash but I just did not notice it?

Old 05-07-2009, 03:06 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
How old are your parents? If they are elderly, it makes perfect sense they would feel this way. The old folks tend to be very set in their ways.

As to the question, yes there has always been a large number of "trashy" people but I do feel there are more than there used to be. At the same time, everyone's definition of "trash" is different. That's a thought you should ponder.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:08 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
Yes there are, more than ever. Then again I do most of my shopping at a nearby Wal-Mart and that's where I do my people watching, so that might be biasing my perception.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:08 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
define trashy....

Old 05-07-2009, 03:11 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
My parents are always telling me that they are convinced the the world is going mad. They admit that there has always been troubled and trashy people in the world and right here in their hometown but not to the levels that there is today. Just look at television and the movies and what is popular. Look at the Man on the Street interviews? Look at he Jerry Springer shows. Just look at what is going on in our schools and the poor quality workers in our places of work.

Is America going into a huge decline because there are just so many trashy people or has there always been a large number of trash but I just did not notice it?
Looking at the Man on the Street Interviews and Jerry Springer is a bad indicator of how many trashy people there are. You do realize those shows are based solely on ratings, so the crazier people they get on there, the more people watch?

I think there have always been a HUGE amount of 'trashy' people around, but until recently with the advent of reality shows and make-your-own-tv/blogs they didn't have an avenue of expression yet.

Now, you can turn on the tv and see people do humiliating things for money, fake a persona for 'love' and put themselves through weird ordeals to become someones 'bff'.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 5,266 times
Trashy; people have no morals or scrupules or standards, no self-respect , they just know how to live off the system instead of getting an respectable job and taking full responsibilitities of one's life! They make it harder for the decent people, but, we all know that, the truth will prevail!!!!

Old 02-15-2011, 08:33 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post

America has been going down since the hippies of the 60s started becoming educators or having and raising children of their own.
Kind of like letting a puppy teach itself to not potty in the house (we all know how that would NOT work and that is America now)

Many want all things handed to the; expectations of jobs appearing out of thin air with high pay and benefits and half year long vacations. The stupidity and selfishness is off the hook IMO.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:36 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Most woman look for an excuse to look "trashy". Why do you think they love Halloween?

Old 02-15-2011, 10:11 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Because maybe we notice them more, because of the population boom, more nutcases out there today. We have always had our share of nuts, but with more people, now more nut's.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:18 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,450 times
The amount of trashy people has stayed consistent. It's just because of the rise of cable, youtube, facebook, etc. that they have a larger outlet. Otherwise, their percentages have always been the same, their just more able to let their freak flags fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies