Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What party do you assoicate yourself with
Democrats 20 51.28%
Republicans 10 25.64%
Other Party 2 5.13%
Independant 7 17.95%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:09 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,470,895 times

Advertisements

Republicans in Distress: Is the Party Over? - TIME

they do seem in trouble demographically if they dont adjust their message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 08:25 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,483,758 times
I'm a Republican, but I don't approve of a lot of the party platform.

I'm frustrated with the RW extremists/neo-cons and the fact that the party has become so fiscally liberal in recent years. Love to see a reform into a socially moderate, fiscally conservative party.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:37 AM

274 posts, read 197,836 times
I am an independent, I do not claim any party, because i disagree with alot of there stances and the fact that most politicians are crap. I very rarely vote democrat and always vote republican unless there is a 3rd party candidate running for office then i always vote for them, its time to end this 2 party tyranny crap.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:02 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,584,558 times
I would like to see a Republican party that supports both economic freedom and individual freedom.

That means a party that controls spending, doesn't tax everyone and everything, and doesn't give a **** about who you get married with as long as they are two consenting adults.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:07 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,881,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I would like to see a Republican party that supports both economic freedom and individual freedom.

That means a party that controls spending, doesn't tax everyone and everything, and doesn't give a **** about who you get married with as long as they are two consenting adults.
I agree, however, they bring in way too much money from the Fundamentalists to ever give up that golden goose, so they keep pushing the same tired agenda.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:41 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,965,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

I'm frustrated with the RW extremists/neo-cons and the fact that the party has become so fiscally liberal in recent years. Love to see a reform into a socially moderate, fiscally conservative party.
Glad to see there are still Republicans that understand what the Republican Party once stood for. As an Independent I would love to see both Parties take back their Party from the extremists that seem all too much in control, maybe I can then once again vote without having to hold my nose. As for the Republicans in particular they have allowed non-conservatives to take the lead and if they ever wish to be the power they once were they will need to revamp their leadership.I know more than one Republican that feels they have been left out in the cold by their own party, hence the rise of conservative Independents in the last couple of years. So the question arises, who's fault is it that we have the government that we do, the answer is simple, it is OUR fault. WE vote them in and we do not hold them accountable for their actions, instead we continue to allow them to remain in office and continue to ignore the will of the people. Stop playing partisan politics at the voting booth, vote bad politicians out of office, even if they are from your Party, vote for America over your Party. We get the government we deserve.
Casper

Old 05-09-2009, 10:52 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,483,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Glad to see there are still Republicans that understand what the Republican Party once stood for. As an Independent I would love to see both Parties take back their Party from the extremists that seem all too much in control, maybe I can then once again vote without having to hold my nose. As for the Republicans in particular they have allowed non-conservatives to take the lead and if they ever wish to be the power they once were they will need to revamp their leadership.I know more than one Republican that feels they have been left out in the cold by their own party, hence the rise of conservative Independents in the last couple of years. So the question arises, who's fault is it that we have the government that we do, the answer is simple, it is OUR fault. WE vote them in and we do not hold them accountable for their actions, instead we continue to allow them to remain in office and continue to ignore the will of the people. Stop playing partisan politics at the voting booth, vote bad politicians out of office, even if they are from your Party, vote for America over your Party. We get the government we deserve.
Casper
Casper, I agree completely with what you're saying about the terrible direction the Republican party has taken.

I will, however, keep voting red, largely because I want my vote to count for something. I don't want to take away from the GOP vote by voting Independent and I continue to find Republicans the lesser of two evils.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:20 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,965,968 times
Quote:
Casper, I agree completely with what you're saying about the terrible direction the Republican party has taken.

I will, however, keep voting red, largely because I want my vote to count for something. I don't want to take away from the GOP vote by voting Independent and I continue to find Republicans the lesser of two evils.
As long as you base your vote on studying the issues and where the candidates stand on them voting for those within your Party is not wrong. I vote for who I believe will do the best job, or in some cases, the lesser of evils. I rarely vote 100% for members of either Party since I have found that neither represents my stands on the issues across the board. I would love to see a new Party emerge, one that represents the Majority of Americans, one that is more toward the center than on one extreme fringe or the other, but that would take a grass roots movement and take years to accomplish, but if if the time is not ripe now when will it ever be.
Casper

Old 05-09-2009, 11:28 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,224,140 times
Quote:

I haven't said so yet, but I appreciate your presence here, afoigoiuskjfkajkok (how do you even remember that?). There have always been reasonable debates to have, and policies that can be solved through compromise. I wish we had the old GOP back, so that such debates could take place. Unfortunately, the modern GOP is being driven by the wingnuts, and there is no possibility of compromise with them.

I hope that the GOP will return to the values you espouse (even though I disagree with many of them) and to the attitude that you exhibit here.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:29 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,341,819 times
Maybe a successful candidate should run on a contract with its constituents that he/she will vote their demands and have the contract strictly enforceable by agreement to immediately resign for any breach.

All's you would need is an accurate polling of the constituency for each bill to be voted on.

Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies