Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:14 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Really? When he came out and said he would vote for obama, the libs totally changed their tune about Powell.

Did you forget the vitriol from the Left when Powell went before the UN regarding Iraq? He was definitely not a favorite of the Left then, was he?

Not being from the left, I can't comment.

But from a personal standpoint, I can say that I was disappointed that Powell was fed a bunch of lies that he then transmitted at the UN. I remember watching that little charade and thinking, "It's so thin! They must have more solid and more damning evidence that's classified and not available for public release."

But they didn't.

Like I said, I was disappointed in Powell. But I've been outraged at the chickenhawks who put him up to it. Cheney in particular. Bitter, angry, cowardly old Dick Cheney, the poster boy for chickenhawks. Yet still a hero to the willfully ignorant.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:19 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
Guess you haven't been watching the news about her part in the "torture" debacle.
You have not been LISTENING... it looks like she knew but she had no power to authorize or implement torture... she has no criminal culpability... but she should face her constituents for not saying anything back then... as well dozens of other congressmen.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:19 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Amazing how so many people want to turn this into a trash Obama thread and don't want to discuss Cheney's foolish remarks this morning that he'd rather go with Rush Limbaugh instead of Powell and snarkily imply that Powell is no longer a member of the GOP.
Nothing foolish about them but good dodging every post that disagreed with you.

Quote:
Cheney would rather go with a corpulent, drug-addled, lying blowhard like Limbaugh instead of a serious professional like Powell. Cheney simply proves why the GOP is in such disarray, which Powell addressed this past week and in so doing he ran afoul of the Rush the clown. Then Cheney gets on TV this morning and completes the exacta of stupidity with his sneering remarks.
I finally get it. You're pissed that anyone would dare say a bad word about Obama because lifelong Republicans like you just admire all his fiscally conservative moves and instead just want to **** and moan about Cheney.

Quote:
Who is Dick Cheney to pass judgement on Powell or any other GOP member?
More of a Republican than you'll ever be?

Quote:
Will the real GOP please stand up?
You were sitting down when you typed that I hope.

Quote:
No takers? Limbaugh is all you got?
I'm no Limbaugh fan but I'll take him over a supposed lifelong Republican who can't analyze a situation without bringing race into it.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post

But from a personal standpoint, I can say that I was disappointed that Powell was fed a bunch of lies that he then transmitted at the UN. I remember watching that little charade and thinking, "It's so thin! They must have more solid and more damning evidence that's classified and not available for public release."

But they didn't.

Like I said, I was disappointed in Powell. But I've been outraged at the chickenhawks who put him up to it. Cheney in particular. Bitter, angry, cowardly old Dick Cheney, the poster boy for chickenhawks. Yet still a hero to the willfully ignorant.
I was definetely furious at Powell... but at least once he found out that he had fed the world disinformation, he quit the administration... I think he still has his integrity intact. I know a lot liberals wanted him to come out against the administration forcefully once he left, but he's a soldier... you don't do that.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:

But they didn't.

The funny thing is you think Powell as the CJCS somehow didn't have access to the classified information he needed to be fully educated before going before the UN.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
You have not been LISTENING... it looks like she knew but she had no power to authorize or implement torture... she has no criminal culpability... but she should face her constituents for not saying anything back then... as well dozens of other congressmen.
Obviously you have zero clue about culpability and criminality. If you have knowledge and do nothing to stop it, you are culpable.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
The funny thing is you think Powell as the CJCS somehow didn't have access to the classified information he needed to be fully educated before going before the UN.
That is funny.

Tell me why I think that, Dr Freud.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
That is funny.

Tell me why I think that, Dr Freud.
It's not mind reading it's post reading and it's obvious you think he didn't have access to the classified information he needed as the CJCS. [mod cut]

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-10-2009 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: Personal attacks not allowed.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Obviously you have zero clue about culpability and criminality. If you have knowledge and do nothing to stop it, you are culpable.
LOLOL... ok, Mr. Prosecutor... you don't have any legal training so I'll let it pass. Succintly, you are wrong... you have no criminal liability for failure to act unless you have a legal duty to act. There was no legal duty and the Congressmen that were briefed had no ability to consult their counsel to ascertain the legality of what they were being told. Using your logic, every single Congressman who was briefed can be prosecuted... LOL... they can't... only those who authorized and implemented the torture have any potential legal liability. Don't get your legal training from the news.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
It's not mind reading it's post reading and it's obvious you think he didn't have access to the classified information he needed as the CJCS.

Well, you're half right, and that's a big improvement.

Go back and read my post again.

Then see if you can figure out if Powell's televised appearance before the UN was a public forum that may not appropriate for discussing classified info.

You can have three guesses, and the first two don't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies