Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 06:25 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,210,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
im thinking you forgot to add in the $4.00 gas under W....
That was the Bush health plan in a nutshell.

Push gasoline prices high enough that walking becomes the most attractive option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 06:54 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
'Hmmm.... I don't make 6 figuire income yet Democrats are directly responsible for making this middleclass boy (me) $50 a month poorer due to their tobacco tax and now I hear they are passing another tobacco tax?

And please don't tell me "just don't smoke"......no it is Democrats who took $50 a month out of my lifestyle.And what is this I hear about them wanting to pass a "carbon" tax that would make everybodies power bill go up?

Seems to me rich people won't be effected by their taxes though huh?,Rich people don't care if they have to pay more for power or cigarettes.......
Because you smoke the feds are taking $50 per month of your Lifestyle and YOU are taking years off your Life...seems a fair exchange. So when gas went up under Bush were the Republicans taking money from your lifestyle?

Old 05-14-2009, 07:22 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,177 times
Just think, if people stopped smoking, drinking and all drove 50 MPG plus cars government at nearly every level would go broke or be forced to reveal the real tax burden we all carry by recouping the losses in direct income tax.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:38 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
Just think, if people stopped smoking, drinking and all drove 50 MPG plus cars government at nearly every level would go broke or be forced to reveal the real tax burden we all carry by recouping the losses in direct income tax.
You are sooo right. Govt says things to win support from people as "concerned Govt" They would have a huge loss in revenue from taxes if everyone quit smoking... could you imagine how tax would go up.
In the UK the Govt put a charge on cars entering the heart of London of £5. They said it was to stop congestion and polution. They got a shock when many many people stopped driving into London. Their planned increase in revenue (under the guise of conservation) never happened and they have now massively increased the congestion charge to compensate for their losses.
If smokers stopped smoking, the fall in revenue would mean taxes being raised elsewhere to compensate.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:35 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,545,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
That's why it makes sense to tax things that are addictive - easily sustainable revenue streams. I still can't understand why marijuana isn't legal yet. Can you imagine all of the tax dollars that would bring in? My only guess is that the government is already profiting enough from it now that it doesn't make financial sense to legalize it and then tax it. That means they must be making a killing off it already.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:27 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
That's why it makes sense to tax things that are addictive - easily sustainable revenue streams. I still can't understand why marijuana isn't legal yet. Can you imagine all of the tax dollars that would bring in? My only guess is that the government is already profiting enough from it now that it doesn't make financial sense to legalize it and then tax it. That means they must be making a killing off it already.
Not only is government profiting from marijuana's illegality, in the form of police, judges, prosecutors, jails, fines, etc., but defense attorneys are making a tidy sum as well.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:53 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Not only is government profiting from marijuana's illegality, in the form of police, judges, prosecutors, jails, fines, etc., but defense attorneys are making a tidy sum as well.
Besides - marijuana is not addictive.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:13 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
How many times did the tobacco taxes go up under Bush?
Irrelevant, when you consider that the two largest tax increases in United States history happened as part of the SCHIP bill that Obama signed into law.

Tax increase of 2,653% for small cigars
Tax increase of 2,159% for loose tobacco

The latter affects me, and hundreds of thousands of other people - most with limited income (the very people that Obama promised wouldn't see any of their taxes raised), directly.

A one pound bag of the tobacco I use used to cost about $9. A whopping $1.10 of that was tax. That same bag now costs almost $35, and none of that additional money goes to the grower, processor, distributor or retailer. In fact, the retailer is actually making less in many cases, as their customers are often using credit/debit cards to pay for the tobacco. Along with the transaction fee, the card processors charge a percentage (around 3% or so) of the sale. So now instead of paying $0.27/bag in discount fees, the merchant is forced to pay $1.05 - about 4x as much - to sell that same bag of tobacco. In order to offset this additional cost, many have raised their prices even more, further affecting the very people who can least afford the added cost.

I'm so sick and tired of people always going back to Bush for everything. Yeah, he screwed a lot of things up. Yeah, you don't like him. We get it. We don't care. How about placing blame for the things that YOUR guy actually did, all by himself, where it belongs for once?

Old 05-18-2009, 10:18 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,545,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Besides - marijuana is not addictive.
I'll tell that to my younger brother who can't seem to give it up

Old 05-18-2009, 10:22 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Although I do support some kind if UHC I'm not sure if smokers are the only offenders. I mean, what do we do about people who are diabetic but refuse to follow a proper diet?
Not that specific example but that's the future. Congress will be voting on how much food you can feed your dogs and if they become over weight they will be confiscated. That's the end result. I bet that just sounds absolutely ridiculous doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies