Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 05:19 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,733,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
$50 a month? Wow! My heart pumps Kool-Aid.

On the other hand, millions of people have lost much, much more - home and stock values - thanks to the Republicans.
And millions of people have lost much more through there own idiocy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 05:24 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
'Hmmm.... I don't make 6 figuire income yet Democrats are directly responsible for making this middleclass boy (me) $50 a month poorer due to their tobacco tax and now I hear they are passing another tobacco tax?

And please don't tell me "just don't smoke"......no it is Democrats who took $50 a month out of my lifestyle.And what is this I hear about them wanting to pass a "carbon" tax that would make everybodies power bill go up?
Seems to me rich people won't be effected by their taxes though huh?,Rich people don't care if they have to pay more for power or cigarettes.......
Interesting that it is Democrats you blame, maybe that is who runs your area, but let me tell you, Repubs here in Texas never miss an opportunity to raise our "sin" taxes on Alchohol and Cigs. Sounds like politicians everywere see them as easy opportunities to take more.
Casper

Old 05-12-2009, 05:44 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Thank you for smoking. You are saving me tax money.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:46 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Sorry, but smoking is strictly voluntary. Your choice.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:47 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,844,425 times
republicans made home prices go down? seems to me, a house is only worth what you can get someone to pay. that's not a partisan issue.

Quote:

On the other hand, millions of people have lost much, much more - home and stock values - thanks to the Republicans.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:50 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,844,425 times
you need to pay more in taxes so they can give free health care to upper middle class kids that aren't yours. also, you will be happy to know that if you have a retirement account, the democrats are going to attack that next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
'Hmmm.... I don't make 6 figuire income yet Democrats are directly responsible for making this middleclass boy (me) $50 a month poorer due to their tobacco tax and now I hear they are passing another tobacco tax?

And please don't tell me "just don't smoke"......no it is Democrats who took $50 a month out of my lifestyle.And what is this I hear about them wanting to pass a "carbon" tax that would make everybodies power bill go up?

Seems to me rich people won't be effected by their taxes though huh?,Rich people don't care if they have to pay more for power or cigarettes.......

Old 05-12-2009, 07:01 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
please remember that smokers subsidize non smokers and social security.

please also remember that if no one smoked in the USA, the peoples taxes would be that much higher for all.
You are totally missing the point! Smokers have multiple and frequent hospital admissions for pneumonias and other respiratory complications.

When they have surgery, the patients who have smoked for 20 years or more have a huge increase in the incidence of complications which include, but not limited to;

Intensive care with extended ventilator support.

Pneumonias and respiratory complications.

Delayed wound healing and infections.

Cardiac problems.

All of these ADDED complications brought on by many years of smoking, increase the cost to Medicare for patients over 65. Look up the going rates to cover the medical care for these complications and ask yourself who should pay for this lifestyle.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:08 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh sure, people pay into the plan for 30,40 or 50 years, but should not reap any benefits. What about those who may be anerixic (spelling) or those with heart problems regardless of how well they have handled their lives? As far as smokers, well the government would make a heck of a lot of money if only those who have never smoked were elegible, until the last 20 years it was hard to find anyone that was not, at one time a smoker. It is still hard today when you are dealing with those over 55.

As for the problems being the republicans, how the heck did you come up with that thought?

Nita
Health insurance costs more for smokers. The insurance companies know what they are doing and why. Taxing cigs is a good way to increase the premium for Medicare.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:21 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times
lionking wrote;
Quote:
gOLFGOD on average I smoke a pack a day,only time I smoke more is when Im out drinking which isn't often.My cartons use to cost $30,April tax increase raised them to $37
Like I said, the tax increase in April was $0.62 per pack, so it looks like your retailer whacked you an extra $0.80 per carton.

Quote:
another passed increase soon to take effect raises them another $10 a carton making them $47.
Any references on this "passed increase soon to take effect", I haven't seen or heard anything about it.

Quote:
I buy 3 cartons a month which was $90,now they will be $141.
Actually you're WRONG on the math. Now doesn't and can't mean "will be". Now they are $37.00 so you're actually paying an extra $21.00 per month, not an extra $50.00.

Just to clarify things. Please give me a ref on the coming increase. I don't mean that "some guy at work" said that "Obama's going to hit us another $1.00 per pack", that's not a ref.

golfgod

Old 05-12-2009, 07:38 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:

There were no democrats in office?
Barney Frank, Chris Dodd had no hand in it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies