Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are taxes for?
Raising funds 9 75.00%
Stopping people from doing things you don't agree with 3 25.00%
Punishing the rich's success 3 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 01:00 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,333,943 times

Advertisements

This is a fundamental difference between the parties, but what do you believe?

I personally think that taxes should only be used in order to raise money for roads, bridges, military, etc. I do not think that taxes ought to be used in order to change people's behaviors. We see it often, some states (such as my "beloved" New York) tax things that they do not think should be used (like cigarettes) prohibitively.

If they tax cigarettes prohibitively, what else will they tax prohibitively? A $5000 tax on anti-Obama books? A 1000% tax on bullets?

If you want to stop people from doing something, make a law against it. Don't tax it to death so that you can save political face by not actually actually outlawing something.

So what do you all think taxes are for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 01:11 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
To pay government workers, politicians, and the military--what did you think they were for?

Old 05-17-2009, 01:15 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,846,286 times
they are so that charlie rangel can have a $1000 a month cadillac for his part time job on the tax payers dime.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:20 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,786 times
Taxes are just more government social engineering efforts. Has anyone ever wondered why tax codes are a convoluted run-around mangling of the English language.
You'd think that that's precisely the sort of thing they'd want to set down in third-grade English, just so everyone is clear about who needs to pay what.

That is, of course, unless the intent of the tax code's crafters was to nail most people while providing loopholes for others.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:26 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,333,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastersteve View Post
Taxes are just more government social engineering efforts. Has anyone ever wondered why tax codes are a convoluted run-around mangling of the English language.
I agree with you. Here's a tax proposal that anyone could understand, that I support.

22% national sales tax (1/4 is refundable for people making under $40,000). 10% capital gains taxes on everything but your primary residence, with a $20,000 exemption annually.

It's progressive, it's simple, and it would work.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:28 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,330,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
I agree with you. Here's a tax proposal that anyone could understand, that I support.

22% national sales tax (1/4 is refundable for people making under $40,000). 10% capital gains taxes on everything but your primary residence, with a $20,000 exemption annually.

Dumb post.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:05 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,786 times
Sales and income taxes are very regressive by nature and hurt the economy in the long run.
Land taxes, I still disapprove of because they nullify property rights, yet I will concede Henry George offers a better answer to the status quo, at least within an anti-authoritarian free market context .

In Progress and Poverty, George stated that the consequences of dire economic policies were moral issues rather than purely economic issues. So he posed moral questions: '"Why should a man benefit merely from the act of ownership, when he may render no services to the community in exchange?" and "What gives the wealthy the right to become rich -- not for service rendered to the community, but from the good fortune to have advantageously situated land?" He believed that economic problems stemmed from the unavailability of land for those who needed access to it. The injustices of rent robbed the working man of his wages and wild speculation in land led to poverty. He therefore suggested a single tax on land, to absorb all rents, with no tax whatsoever on wages or interest. (See figure 3) A single tax would eventually lead to the ownership of land as common property, rather than as individual property. He believed that the single tax would raise wages, increase earnings of capital, abolish poverty, give employment, and relieve the other economic ills, through a massive redistribution of wealth.
Henry George and the Single Tax

Old 05-17-2009, 02:14 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,755,750 times
Quote:

The huge national sales tax has me concerned. Wouldn't that just encourage people to spend their money out of country when they make large purchases? If I'm going to buy a computer that costs $2,000, wouldn't it make more sense to order it from Japan, where I actually pay $2,000, instead of buying in the U.S. where it would cost me $2,440?

I'd rather support a simple, flat income tax for everybody above the poverty line. No loopholes, no graduated income levels, no rebates, no exemptions...nothing. If I remember correctly, for this to work, the tax rate would only have to be like 18%. Also, as most Democrats like to complain (many times rightly so) that the wealthy, by being clever and exploiting loopholes, avoid paying much of their taxes, the system would also largely prevent that as well.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:16 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times
Quote:

I still prefer the Fair Tax that Neal Boortz has espoused to even yours. His takes all other taxes to the trash dump where they belong and just charges a 23% consumption tax on everything being sold for the first time. This means that there would be no federal tax on things like cars, boats and other things like that when they sell the second time.

Better than that the tax is partially refunded to everybody based on a household of 4 and gets some more with more people involved. Of course, with only 1 or 2 in the household the amount is adjusted, too. You get the prebate monthly and it is based on food, clothing, housing, and medical needs of the average household.

Since everybody pays the tax on things they buy everybody gets to pay some tax except for the fact that many who have enough people in the home end up about the same as they do now. Of course, the wealthy spend more so they get to pay more with only the same prebate as everyone gets. They want to have more and fancier food, they pay more taxes.

Just think what it would be like to get a whole check each payday without anything taken out. Just think what buying gasoline would be like without the hefty federal taxes on it. No federal taxes other than the Fair Tax on consumption. More people need to look into this one. I didn't like it until I listened to Boortz and started reading his explanations. It is the way to go because it gives the Congress only what they need to keep us going and they can't spend SS surplus or any other surpluses they tax to get.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:32 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,330,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastersteve View Post
In Progress and Poverty, George stated that the consequences of dire economic policies were moral issues rather than purely economic issues. So he posed moral questions: '"Why should a man benefit merely from the act of ownership, when he may render no services to the community in exchange?" and "What gives the wealthy the right to become rich -- not for service rendered to the community, but from the good fortune to have advantageously situated land?" He believed that economic problems stemmed from the unavailability of land for those who needed access to it. The injustices of rent robbed the working man of his wages and wild speculation in land led to poverty. He therefore suggested a single tax on land, to absorb all rents, with no tax whatsoever on wages or interest. (See figure 3) A single tax would eventually lead to the ownership of land as common property, rather than as individual property. He believed that the single tax would raise wages, increase earnings of capital, abolish poverty, give employment, and relieve the other economic ills, through a massive redistribution of wealth.
Henry George and the Single Tax
Why do you think there has never been a Federal Property Tax, while States have gone nuts with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies