Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the parents of Lawrence King be able to sue the foster home he was living in @ the time of hi
Yes 1 25.00%
No 2 50.00%
I'm not sure 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 07:09 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times

Advertisements

Lawrence King's Parents Score Legal Victory *|*News | Advocate.com (http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid84181.asp#Receipt - broken link)

Quote:
A judge ruled this week that the parents and brother of Lawrence King -- the gay 15-year-old California boy who was slain by a classmate in February 2008 -- can sue the foster home where he lived at the time of his death.
Greg and Dawn King will be able to bring a lawsuit against Casa Pacifica, a Camarillo, Calif., shelter for troubled children, for allegedly contributing to the death of their son.
Do you feel the "parents" of Lawrence King should be able to sue the foster home he was living in at the time of his death?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 07:20 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times
On what basis are you calling these parents "neglectful"? There's nothing in that article that hints they were neglectful. In fact, the article leads me to suspect the boy was in that placement because he had gender identification issues which caused conflict between him and his parents.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:39 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
On what basis are you calling these parents "neglectful"? There's nothing in that article that hints they were neglectful. In fact, the article leads me to suspect the boy was in that placement because he had gender identification issues which caused conflict between him and his parents.
I would think that any parent who cannot accept their child's gender issues or who wouldn't love their child unconditionally to the point where their child had to be placed in a foster home is a neglectful parent.

In an article I read a month or two after Lawrence King's murder, it said that the average stay at the group home/foster home he stayed at was 30 days. Lawrence King was there for four months.

This is a quote from the Newsweek,
Quote:
Larry's life was hard from the beginning. His biological mother was a drug user; his father wasn't in the picture.
Even in the home of his foster parents, there were allegations of abuse.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:45 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I would think that any parent who cannot accept their child's gender issues or who wouldn't love their child unconditionally to the point where their child had to be placed in a foster home is a neglectful parent.

In an article I read a month or two after Lawrence King's murder, it said that the average stay at the group home/foster home he stayed at was 30 days. Lawrence King was there for four months.

This is a quote from the Newsweek,

Even in the home of his foster parents, there were allegations of abuse.
I completely agree, and would rep you if I could.

As a parent I do feel qualified to say that if you give your child to foster care because he is gay you are a bad parent.
If your child is taken by protective services it is more then likely due to you being a bad parent.
Either way, there is not a lot of 'gray' area.
Perhaps if this boys mother was more interested in her child(ren) then her drugs just maybe he would not have been in that foster home and just maybe he would have had a stronger emotional base to withstand the abuse he was getting for being gay.
If anyone should be sued it is his bio parents for dropping the ball in the first place. That now they are suddenly concerned about their sons living arrangements is highly suspect to me. To quote a favorite movie of mine " I love my dead gay son!" well, that and the money the lawsuit will bring

Old 05-15-2009, 07:52 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
You would be wrong.

In our society it isn't unreasonable for parents to have trouble accepting gender issues when a child turns out not to be traditionally heterosexual. And it's simply wrong to assume that those parents don't love their children. Unconditional love doesn't mean accepting all a child is or does.

Quote:
That really is meaningless without knowing more. Is the placement a temporary shelter for kids until they can be placed elsewhere? How easy is it to place a boy with his gender identification issues? Don't make the assumption that other kids in that placement went home to their parents after a month or two.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:56 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Oh now they feel love for the child? Now they feel the loss?Where was this unconditional love when the child needed it most?
No they should not be allowed to sue anyone. In fact it is they who deserve to beon trial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies