Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 12:27 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
What tells you that it's about race? Couldn't it be that the public schools are not doing well, so parents that can afford it send their kids someplace else? I'm willing to bet that there are more private schools in the northeast than the south. Are they racist too or does that only apply to the south? Obama's kids go to a private school; I take it he's racist, as are the Clintons etc.

If the number of kids has tripled, I would assume that the number of families has increased as well. If only 300 of them go to public school, then the schools should be pretty well funded per capita because the property taxes of all those other families are going to pay for the 300 to attend the school.
Funny thing about that issue:

My family and I (extended family, that is) have discussed this ascpect, and they also give me the line about "Lousy public schools".

But then ya dig deeper:

I ask them how much it costs to send their kids to Porter Gaud, Mrs Mason's, etc, and is it worth it?

They all give me figures of at least $1,000 per child per semester, and complain about the cost, but say it's worth it. Though to a PERSON they say "if we just didn't have to support those damn public schools."

Then I reply: "Why not just take about 60-70% of what you are paying the acadamies and put that towards increased funding of the public schools- the VERY ONES we went to back before they integrated, circa 1970?"

And the charade re: money and lousy schools ends.

"We don't want our kids going to school with those people", they say. "It isn't safe."

And guess what "those people" have (statistical basis) vs my family, whose attitudes I'm convinced are the majoritarian ones?

Increased melanin levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 05:38 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,733,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Let's get one thing straight.

Sanford's objection was not that the money would put the put the country in debt, but that he could not spend it like he wanted to.
Sanford's objection to the money was we can't get out of debt by borrowing more money. Hell if we could nobody would be in debt.

He felt if they had to take it he wanted to be able to spend it paying off DEBT instead of just spending it.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:45 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Sanford's objection to the money was we can't get out of debt by borrowing more money. Hell if we could nobody would be in debt.

He felt if they had to take it he wanted to be able to spend it paying off DEBT instead of just spending it.
"Just spending it" with what goal in mind?

BIG HINT: South Carolina is fighting it out for the highest unemployment figures in the nation. We are at either #2 or #3 now.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:50 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,733,329 times
Quote:
"Just spending it" with what goal in mind?

BIG HINT: South Carolina is fighting it out for the highest unemployment figures in the nation. We are at either #2 or #3 now.
Yeah I know we have high unemployment here. We've been lucky in the upstate, it hasn't gone crazy at least not yet.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:29 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Funny thing about that issue:

My family and I (extended family, that is) have discussed this ascpect, and they also give me the line about "Lousy public schools".

But then ya dig deeper:

I ask them how much it costs to send their kids to Porter Gaud, Mrs Mason's, etc, and is it worth it?

They all give me figures of at least $1,000 per child per semester, and complain about the cost, but say it's worth it. Though to a PERSON they say "if we just didn't have to support those damn public schools."

Then I reply: "Why not just take about 60-70% of what you are paying the acadamies and put that towards increased funding of the public schools- the VERY ONES we went to back before they integrated, circa 1970?"

And the charade re: money and lousy schools ends.

"We don't want our kids going to school with those people", they say. "It isn't safe."

And guess what "those people" have (statistical basis) vs my family, whose attitudes I'm convinced are the majoritarian ones?

Increased melanin levels.
I can't speak with any authority on the views of your family.

There certainly are people that send their kids to private schools that complain about funding public schools because they don't use them. I think that's very short-sighted given that an educated public helps everyone.

Regarding the other complaint, based on what you say, it sounds like their view is that they don't want kids to go to a school that isn't as safe. Statistically speaking, the majority of incidents may involve minorities. Based on your statement, their concern isn't directly about minorities, but about safety first, and the factor of minority is mediated by the safety concern.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:

There certainly are people that send their kids to private schools that complain about funding public schools because they don't use them. I think that's very short-sighted given that an educated public helps everyone.

Regarding the other complaint, based on what you say, it sounds like their view is that they don't want kids to go to a school that isn't as safe. Statistically speaking, the majority of incidents may involve minorities. Based on your statement, their concern isn't directly about minorities, but about safety first, and the factor of minority is mediated by the safety concern.
You are aware of the reality behind the stats?

I used my familial situation here, because they represent the average view in SC on this subject.

And, if SC really supported public education, their schools would be safe.

But then, they would not be SC.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Safety, school rankings, religion, or a number of other things may be the official story, but when you get down to the nitty-gritty, you'll find that in South Carolina, it's really all about the pigmentation of the pupils.

Geechie's family and mine would probably get along famously. I will be married 32 years in August. My family is Baptist, my wife's is Catholic. There are still relatives who avoid her at the family reunions because we have a mixed marriage. Old attitudes not only die hard, they never die at all if the children can be indoctrinated successfully.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Safety, school rankings, religion, or a number of other things may be the official story, but when you get down to the nitty-gritty, you'll find that in South Carolina, it's really all about the pigmentation of the pupils.

Geechie's family and mine would probably get along famously. I will be married 32 years in August. My family is Baptist, hers is Catholic. There are still relatives who avoid her at the family reunions because we have a mixed marriage. Old attitudes not only die hard, they never die if the children can be indoctrinated.

To quote Mohandas Ghandi:

"Damn straight!"

Rough translation from the original Hindi.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post

To quote Mohandas Ghandi:

"Damn straight!"

Rough translation from the original Hindi.
Not all that rough.

I understood every word, and your syntax is impeccable.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:15 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Let's get one thing straight.

Sanford's objection was not that the money would put the put the country in debt, but that he could not spend it like he wanted to.
And if the lawsuit has no value the courts will promptly throw it out. Are you objecting to his right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies