Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 11:26 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
As far as Iraq,Bush [junior] went after a country that obviously didn't start with us.
You Lancet are ignorant of history: Washingtonpost.com: Iraq Special Report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 11:27 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Firstly I said it was not likely and personally I don't fear it because most who are muslim are NOT terrorists (even though some people believe they are).The muslim religion has spread rapidly through countries in Europe and in Africa but some countries there are still highly undeveloped and alot of tribes people are not going to change their historical ways.The main reason why it would never unite is because each country still hold $$$ as the most important thing,even more then religion and with the different sects,there will never be a compromise;they will just coexist.As far as Russia is concerned,it is not nearly as big as it used to be and for years now it has become separate areas.I should know,the majority of my family came from Ukraine originally.
Yeah that is true about Russia, but Russia can still control its Islamic south particularly in Dagistan and Chechnia (sp).

I agree not all Muslims are terrorists certainly I am generally refering to radical Islam on topics like this because many Muslims I know really are just like most Christians I know. They really do not advertise their religion or try to spread it. Even so I should state it instead of just relying on assupmtion. I am related to several Muslims who are in fact upstanding US citizens so I do not really associate the two and imply things via personal assumption when I discuss Islamic expansion sorry for the poor wording.

Second While Islam is growing in Europe there is a huge backlash. As big or bigger then our backlash against illegal immigration. I do not think they will ever make substantial gains there eventually they will be assimilated in one way or another.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:30 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
So if Israel defies us on issues as relatively mundane as settlement construction how can they be trusted on major security issues? The only answer is it is not possible to trust any other country. All you can trust is that other countries will act in their own interests and based on that you form alliances and strategies. While no two countries have the same interests all the time pretty much every country in the world has the same interests as another some of the time. It is complicated by that is what makes it interesting.
See if Germany came in and told us not to build on our border with Canada,we would say F U.That's what Israel is doing.We are still allies but they are just telling us to stay out of it in a matter of speaking. Based on religion,there could be alot of controversy.Jewish people who stick to the Torah are TOTALLY against the building because it's only supposed to be done before the arrival of the savior.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
You Lancet are ignorant of history: Washingtonpost.com: Iraq Special Report
Are you an idiot? We were talking about 9/11. Did Iraq attack us then? Obviously not and that's why it said JUNIOR!

Old 05-25-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
See if Germany came in and told us not to build on our border with Canada,we would say F U.That's what Israel is doing.We are still allies but they are just telling us to stay out of it in a matter of speaking. Based on religion,there could be alot of controversy.Jewish people who stick to the Torah are TOTALLY against the building because it's only supposed to be done before the arrival of the savior.
I am not saying we should not be allies with Israel at all. I think they are definitely a good ally to have. I am just saying we should triage our foreign aid money differently (though the conversation has strayed since then). There are plenty of ways other then the $3 billion the US and Israel support each other. I just think there are more fruitful ways to invest the money that is all.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Yeah that is true about Russia, but Russia can still control its Islamic south particularly in Dagistan and Chechnia (sp).

I agree not all Muslims are terrorists certainly I am generally refering to radical Islam on topics like this because many Muslims I know really are just like most Christians I know. They really do not advertise their religion or try to spread it. Even so I should state it instead of just relying on assupmtion. I am related to several Muslims who are in fact upstanding US citizens so I do not really associate the two and imply things via personal assumption when I discuss Islamic expansion sorry for the poor wording.

Second While Islam is growing in Europe there is a huge backlash. As big or bigger then our backlash against illegal immigration. I do not think they will ever make substantial gains there eventually they will be assimilated in one way or another.
Most people are born into and not converted.I personally am not phased because I have worked with many over the years and quite a few of my friends are from different faiths (muslim,hindu,buddhist) other then the more common (jewish,catholic) in the U.S.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
I am not saying we should not be allies with Israel at all. I think they are definitely a good ally to have. I am just saying we should triage our foreign aid money differently (though the conversation has strayed since then). There are plenty of ways other then the $3 billion the US and Israel support each other. I just think there are more fruitful ways to invest the money that is all.
I think you missed a few of my previous posts.Considering our economy I would significantly lessen our contribution because we have to think of ourselves first.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Most people are born into and not converted.I personally am not phased because I have worked with many over the years and quite a few of my friends are from different faiths (muslim,hindu,buddhist) other then the more common (jewish,catholic) in the U.S.
Yeah. I am related to people of pretty much every major religion except Hinduism. For most people it is not a big deal, but with everything some people will take it to unfortunate extremes. I am not bothered by anyone being any religion. I just get weirded out when the conversion talk come into it.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:38 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,334,456 times
Quote:
So if Israel defies us on issues as relatively mundane as settlement construction how can they be trusted on major security issues? The only answer is it is not possible to trust any other country. All you can trust is that other countries will act in their own interests and based on that you form alliances and strategies. While no two countries have the same interests all the time pretty much every country in the world has the same interests as another some of the time. It is complicated by that is what makes it interesting.
All I said was that the U.S., based on the U.S.'s actions, for whatever reason, seems to trust Israel more than any other middle eastern country. I never got into whether I thought Israel is trustworthy or not. You have to keep in mind that civilians, like us, don't know what's going on behind the curtain. For all we know, the U.S. could be telling them Israel one thing in public and something different in private. I don't think most people realize the amount of control Jewish lobbyists have over our politicians.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
I think you missed a few of my previous posts.Considering our economy I would significantly lessen our contribution because we have to think of ourselves first.
Na I got them I just do not think we have much disagreement. Still fun to talk though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies