Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 11:43 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Yeah. I am related to people of pretty much every major religion except Hinduism. For most people it is not a big deal, but with everything some people will take it to unfortunate extremes. I am not bothered by anyone being any religion. I just get weirded out when the conversion talk come into it.
My previos home was sold to me by a man from Afghanistan.I knew his brother Mohammad and they knew I was jewish but who cares. A person who is mean to you is an idiot first regardless of religion. Personally I have met some great people and idiots in every religion including my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 11:45 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
All I said was that the U.S., based on the U.S.'s actions, for whatever reason, seems to trust Israel more than any other middle eastern country. I never got into whether I thought Israel is trustworthy or not. You have to keep in mind that civilians, like us, don't know what's going on behind the curtain. For all we know, the U.S. could be telling them Israel one thing in public and something different in private. I don't think most people realize the amount of control Jewish lobbyists have over our politicians.
I believe I said why it is a while back. It is domestic politics. Similar reason we have an embargo on Cuba. Also most US citizens are largely ignorant on foreign affairs and gravitate to things that are comfortable rather then thinking them through. Everybody does it in some areas, where they lack familiarity nobody is an expert on everything and for the most part the average American really doesn't need to know about politics or international affairs for their professions and success in their daily lives. This is for the same reason most Americans do not need to know about plumbing, literature, physics, computer programming etc.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
All I said was that the U.S., based on the U.S.'s actions, for whatever reason, seems to trust Israel more than any other middle eastern country. I never got into whether I thought Israel is trustworthy or not. You have to keep in mind that civilians, like us, don't know what's going on behind the curtain. For all we know, the U.S. could be telling them Israel one thing in public and something different in private. I don't think most people realize the amount of control Jewish lobbyists have over our politicians.
You were right until your last sentence.When you have been friends with someone for a long time,you know you can push their buttons and sometimes take it to extremes and still know you're safe.That's Israel,we feel safe with them because even if we disagree with them,we know they'll never strike us and vice versa.There are alot of countries after 9/11 that offered help to us and we should have taken their hands.It could have led to some great friendships and trade relations. Saudi Arabia and Libya were two of the first that called.The Saudi prince even offered to donate millions to aid in the recovery but GWB and Rudy Guiliani turned it down, that was stupid.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:49 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
My previos home was sold to me by a man from Afghanistan.I knew his brother Mohammad and they knew I was jewish but who cares. A person who is mean to you is an idiot first regardless of religion. Personally I have met some great people and idiots in every religion including my own.
I agree completely

Old 05-26-2009, 12:13 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,874 times
Default Foolish!

"As far as Iraq,Bush [junior] went after a country that obviously didn't start with us."

Quote:
Are you [mossomo] an idiot? We were talking about 9/11. Did Iraq attack us then?
Am I an idiot?

We enforced UN No Fly Zones. Iraq tried to kill American pilots who enforced UN Resolutions. Saddam violated the cease fire and peace agreements. Saddam gassed his own citizens. Saddam bolstered he had WMD. He had already gassed 10,000 of his citizens, he already used chemical weapons against iran. Saddam obstructed UN inspectors.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:18 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,334,456 times
Quote:
You were right until your last sentence.
The Jewish lobbyists DO have a lot of power over the U.S. govt., even the Israeli's think so, it's all over The Haaretz.

The American Jews, at least the ones with money, power and access to our politicians, differ from Israeli Jews in their opinion of the future of Israel. The Israeli Jews worry that their fate will be decided by Jews not living in Israel (the Diaspora). The Israelis Jews are SO WORRIED over the power the American Jews have over Israel via the U.S. that there are a lot of topics posted about it in their daily newspaper.

From the Haaretz:

Quote:
If Obama (with US Jews at his back) forces Netanyahu’s hand (irrespective of Bibi’s coalition at home) would this be a success for the Jewish people? Or would it be the ultimate failure of the Jewish state, whose sovereignty will have been given over to the will of United States’ Jewry?

On the one hand, we might finally decommission the idea that the Diaspora has no say in Israel’s affairs. On the other hand, what of that old chestnut, “A free people in our land” – free even to make what others view as mistakes?

Is Obama, and his Jewish support, a threat to Israeli independence?
Makom

Quote:
The Israeli electorate leans right, while North American Jewry leans left...It might perhaps be easy for us to denigrate large organisations simply because they are large. Yet since the Holocaust, large international Jewish organisations have significantly contributed to the creation of the State of Israel, the freedom of movement for all Jews, the marginalisation of anti-Semitism in the Western world, and the remembrance of the Holocaust. Large organisations can do large things.
Makom

If a good portion of the country is so worried about this that it's a daily newspaper topic, I tend to believe that American Jews DO hold a lot of power, probably more than most of us realize.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
"As far as Iraq,Bush [junior] went after a country that obviously didn't start with us."

Am I an idiot?

We enforced UN No Fly Zones. Iraq tried to kill American pilots who enforced UN Resolutions. Saddam violated the cease fire and peace agreements. Saddam gassed his own citizens. Saddam bolstered he had WMD. He had already gassed 10,000 of his citizens, he already used chemical weapons against iran. Saddam obstructed UN inspectors.
You're still off topic. 9/11!!! Not George H.Bush,George W.Bush. You're getting sidetracked.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
The Jewish lobbyists DO have a lot of power over the U.S. govt., even the Israeli's think so, it's all over The Haaretz.

The American Jews, at least the ones with money, power and access to our politicians, differ from Israeli Jews in their opinion of the future of Israel. The Israeli Jews worry that their fate will be decided by Jews not living in Israel (the Diaspora). The Israelis Jews are SO WORRIED over the power the American Jews have over Israel via the U.S. that there are a lot of topics posted about it in their daily newspaper.

From the Haaretz:

Makom

Makom

If a good portion of the country is so worried about this that it's a daily newspaper topic, I tend to believe that American Jews DO hold a lot of power, probably more than most of us realize.
As far as us meddling,we have been doing this all over the world do whether it's Israel or anywhere else,what's the difference? We're overstepping our boundaries.Building in west bank is against the belief of most jews because it is supposed to be done ONLY before the coming of the messiah.You made a comment about jewish lobbyists.How about the catholic lobbyists or protestant ones? They all have their own opinions on relations and EQUAL power of their counterparts.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:38 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,334,456 times
Quote:
How about the catholic lobbyists or protestant ones? They all have their own opinions on relations and EQUAL power of their counterparts.
I'd be up for examining any evidence that you have.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:32 AM

142 posts, read 221,989 times
Lance, my point is anyone can say they have been in the military... for example:

"I am an 11c mortar maggot currently stationed in Germany..." blah blah blah. You may have served, who knows and who cares. Just because, if, you served does not make you an expert in politics or world affairs.

But why do you underestimate every country? Russia is somewhat outdated but do you honestly believe America is in any position to even think about attacking them? Do you honestly believe America could defeat China. Face it, America is not as strong anymore and the "playing field" is getting even. While America has been warring pretty much non-stop since WWII other countries have played it smart, such as China, and have been building up their military and economic strength. You over estimate American military power and you over estimate Israel too.

Iran is more updated than Russia? Oh come on. I guess that is why Iran is buying Russian technology?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies