Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 01:55 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/30/us...er=rss&emc=rss

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The Obama administration is supporting efforts by the Saudi royal family to defeat a long-running lawsuit seeking to hold it liable for the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.
Quote:
“I find this reprehensible,” said Kristen Breitweiser, a leader of the Sept. 11 families, whose husband was killed in the attacks on the World Trade Center. “One would have hoped that the Obama administration would have taken a different stance than the Bush administration, and you wonder what message this sends to victims of terrorism around the world.”
Well, well, well. Do you all remember that deep, deferential bow to the Saudi King that obama humiliated himself with?

Where are the photoshopped pictures of obama kissing his sandy butt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 01:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Hello NWO. One little step at a time and no one will notice.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:58 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Where are the photoshopped pictures of obama kissing his sandy butt?
Over there next to the ones of all the past Presidents doing the exact same thing.

Think of that next time you gas up your SUV.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:01 PM

Just as I thought. Are you shocked obama is doing this? Did you think he was capable of such a thing?

Old 05-30-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Just as I thought. Are you shocked obama is doing this? Did you think he was capable of such a thing?
No, I'm not shocked. Yes, I thought he was capable of such a thing. It's the politically/economically expedient thing to do if, indeed, the laws say otherwise. He isn't the first President to file a brief on the wrong side -- if it is, law-wise -- and he won't be the last.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
It's the politically/economically expedient thing to do if, indeed, the laws say otherwise.
How did you feel when Bush did it?

Old 05-30-2009, 02:08 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times
You left out the following ever so conveniently.

Quote:
The government said in its brief that the victims’ families never alleged that the Saudi government or members of the royal family “personally committed” the acts of terrorism against the United States “or directed others to do so.” And it said the claims that were made — that the Saudis helped to finance the plots — fell “outside the scope” of the legal parameters for suing foreign governments or leaders.
However, I hope they re-file in a manner that does allow this to be included in the scope of a case.

I would also like to point out the following.

Quote:
The plaintiffs face an obstacle in the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act, which a district court judge ruled prevented the insurance companies from suing the kingdom. Anticipating that result, most of the plaintiffs involved in the September 11, 2001 litigation did not try suing Saudi Arabia, despite its deep pockets
This was during the Bush administration in 2005.

Also there is this

Quote:
Some of the 9/11 victims’ relatives hold a rally at the US Capitol to protest what they fear are plans by the Bush administration to delay or block their lawsuit against prominent Saudi individuals for an alleged role in financing al-Qaeda.
9/11 Relatives, Suing Saudis, to Protest Today (washingtonpost.com)

Old 05-30-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
How did you feel when Bush did it?
I wasn't surprised, let alone shocked. I thought he was the doing the politcally/economically expedient thing. What response are you fishing for?

Old 05-30-2009, 02:17 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Think of that next time you gas up your SUV.
I gas up 3 SUV's - what am I suppose to "think" about??

Old 05-30-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
You left out the following ever so conveniently.
Have the TOS rules changed? If you like I can post the whole article. That's why the link is there, you know. So people can click it and actually read the story.

Let know if I can post more than just a few sentences - I know you allow some to do that, maybe the rules have changed and I'm just not aware of it.

THIS thread is about obama carrying on another Bush policy. What's the matter? It must be awful disappointing for you that obama is taking this stance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies