Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 11:41 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times

Advertisements

Why doesn't our President live up to this simple promise? I think if you have read my posts on this forum you know that I'm not an Obama hater. I did not vote for our new President, but I wish him success, as his success is OUR success. But I do have to point out when he doesn't follow up on one of his most basic promises to the American people. Why can he not allow the transparency that he promised?

Quote:
It seemed among the easiest of his transparency pledges and is entirely under his control, but President Obama is finagling his promise to post bills on the White House Web site for comment for five days before he signs them.
Mr. Obama last week signed four bills, each just a day or two after Congress passed and sent it over to him.
Obama ducks promise to delay bill signings - Washington Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 12:48 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Why doesn't our President live up to this simple promise? I think if you have read my posts on this forum you know that I'm not an Obama hater. I did not vote for our new President, but I wish him success, as his success is OUR success. But I do have to point out when he doesn't follow up on one of his most basic promises to the American people. Why can he not allow the transparency that he promised?

he's a politician. that's how they work.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Like it would matter if you saw these bills before they are signed ?

Old 05-26-2009, 02:28 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,752 times
You can't excuse Obama's reneging on promises he made during the campaign as his being "a politician." Once elected, they should cease to be politicians and become our duly elected officials, representing all the electorate. Obviously not every "pie in the sky" promise is going to be implemeted but following through (or not) on his promise to allow Americans the opportunity to review pending legislation is a decision well within his purview.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:18 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Like it would matter if you saw these bills before they are signed ?
After he promised us the 5 days he should give it to us. This is just more proof that he is a lying politician and like all the rest he makes campaign promises that are just to get some votes and be forgotten soon after the election. A liar is a liar, politician or not.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:30 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,617 times
If he follows through on that promise later in his first term, will that be promise satisfied?
Or is a promise once broken, forever broken?

Old 05-27-2009, 01:17 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Politicians say lots of things to get elected.

That's a non-Change you can always believe in.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:29 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post

As the article said, links to the final versions have been there from the White House site, while the bill is in the voting stage(out of committee, where changes occur) in congress. At that point it is either veto or sign. If someone wanted to, they can keep up with a bill easily. Most don't follow, or care, but they can be nit-picky when it is convenient.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:44 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
As the article said, links to the final versions have been there from the White House site, while the bill is in the voting stage(out of committee, where changes occur) in congress. At that point it is either veto or sign. If someone wanted to, they can keep up with a bill easily. Most don't follow, or care, but they can be nit-picky when it is convenient.
But the FINAL version is not posted for review, if you read the article. Last minute changes can be significant, as we've seen in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies