Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 02:35 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Straight male here with no desire whatsoever to go through the brown eye.
Me neither, but I couldn't care less if some like to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 02:42 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Hey I've had plenty of infractions for (IMO) very iffy posts.

I say its the same for both sides. It just doesnt seem like it to the individual.

But I never report posts. Who really cares what is said on here? I dont.
I agree. Who report's post's? A very bored (boring) person if you ask me!

Old 06-05-2009, 02:48 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I'm a female and I am married to a MAN who thinks "backdoor sex" is filthy.

Anal incontinence is often the result of having consistent "backdoor sex" and artificial anal sphincters are often necessary to correct the problem just one more simple reason not to have sexplay in your backside it's an EXIT not an ENTRANCE.
I agree with you. I have no interest in it and I don't want to drag this conversation into the gutter. I was merely pointing out that anal sex is not an act relegated to male on male sex, since the poster used it as a reason why homosexuality is "wrong". It is a very common and prevalent act in heterosexual couplings.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:49 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It makes sense: Conservatives like a "law and order" environment more than liberals do, so they're more likely to get upset when they see something that disturbs their sense of what is right and what is wrong.
Perhaps, but I do not believe that is the root of the issue at hand. And while I hate to generalize, I will say that Conservatives are generally brought up in an environment that is fundamentally different from one that a Liberal might come from. Conservatives generally come from small town/suburban/exurban or more rural backgrounds, Liberals generally come from an urban landscape. As such, I will admit that there are many things that a Conservative (such as myself) stumbles on that just doesn't seem normal. Not necessarily because it goes against my own perception of right and wrong, but rather due to the fact that I had never seen it before.

Unfortunately I do not have the time to go into better detail, but the best way I can describe my own reaction is similar to that of Hank Hill from KOTH. Like me Hank always means well, but sometimes certain lifestyles come as a culture shock to him (and me). I just haven't been around gays where I come from, never knew why anyone would drink fancy varieties of coffee, or how anyone could chose to be a vegetarian.

And I am not sure how the OP can form a thesis on how being squimish can make you Conservative. As a Conservative I often do my own yard work, my own pest control, clean my own fish, prepare my own deer, etc. That aisde, it seems to me that the Liberal vs. Conservative divide comes from the completely different backgrounds and lifestyles experienced at a younger age that influence our adult lives..

Maybe I will come back and better explain what I mean, but for now it looks like this thread is on a slipperly slope as is.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:51 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I agree. Who report's post's? A very bored (boring) person if you ask me!
I agree. But it is interesting to me to think about the relationship between conservatism - or at least social conservatism - and being easily disgusted and offended. It all makes sense to me. If a person is conservative without any libertarian leanings, that person is much more likely to get upset about all kinds of things.

Of course, I have to admit that there are liberals who don't have any libertarian leanings either. I call myself a liberal, but I'm not in step with a lot of other liberals because I have too much of a live-and-let-live philosophy when it comes to certain social issues, environmentalism, etc.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:56 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It seems that they are more easily offended and disgusted. We have evidence of it here on this forum. It's very easy to offend a conservative and have your post reported to a moderator, which then leads to liberal posters being banned more often than conservatives. I see conservatives making rude remarks regularly, but since liberals are less easily offended, they're less likely to report the posts.

For awhile, I thought there was a bias among some of the moderators - that may still be the case - but it's also possible that conservatives are simply more likely to be upset by someone's words. I've said things that I believed to be benign, only to have a conservative tell me that I'm "out of line" and then report my post. I was actually banned from posting for three days because I called a conservative a "smart-ass". I doubt that the moderator even noticed my post. It was likely reported by the conservative who I offended.

It makes sense: Conservatives like a "law and order" environment more than liberals do, so they're more likely to get upset when they see something that disturbs their sense of what is right and what is wrong.
Sorry but my last infraction was because a liberal that was rude to me was a whimp and went crying to a moderator when I stood my ground. I guess that proves liberals are whimps and conservatives are real men.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:59 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,711 times
Quote:
Hey I've had plenty of infractions for (IMO) very iffy posts.

I say its the same for both sides. It just doesnt seem like it to the individual.

But I never report posts. Who really cares what is said on here? I dont.
Too bad liberals are such whimps. All my infractions are from liberal whimps that can dish it out but not take it. Not that I have had many infractions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Maybe I will come back and better explain what I mean, but for now it looks like this thread is on a slipperly slope as is.
Yes, but thanks to you (and me, I would like to believe), this thread can still be rescued.

I agree with much of what you said. Again, I think it's the libertarian component that is the determinant of whether or not one is easily offended or disgusted. Yes, I'm biased because I consider myself a liberal, but my rule is this: If I meet a conservative who has no libertarian leanings, I try to steer clear of that individual. Chances are that person is going to find something about me that he or she doesn't approve of. I don't like being around people like that - and yes, sometimes they are liberals. I've spoken here about my liberal aunt who had to leave the room for a few minutes to compose herself after I told her I bought a Hummer.

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I'm a female and I am married to a MAN who thinks "backdoor sex" is filthy.

Anal incontinence is often the result of having consistent "backdoor sex" and artificial anal sphincters are often necessary to correct the problem just one more simple reason not to have sexplay in your backside it's an EXIT not an ENTRANCE.
Artificial Anal Sphincters? My god, capitalism knows no limits!

Old 06-05-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Sorry but my last infraction was because a liberal that was rude to me was a whimp and went crying to a moderator when I stood my ground. I guess that proves liberals are whimps and conservatives are real men.
No, I think your statement maybe just proves that we're all biased in how we see these things. Trust me - I've had conservatives get very upset with me for saying things that I thought were pretty benign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies