Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:06 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
According to a story I heard on NPR (sorry, no link), there is evidence that the charges were fabricated, and that they may have actually been kidnapped from S. Korea. I doubt they are being treated "just fine".
They were in China on the Tumen River and had crossed the river into North Korea. The cameraman took off running back across the river along with another dude that was with them.

Unfortunately there is not much we can do for them except to pay ransom. And that has always been a bad precedent.

I hope the liberals understand who exactly we are dealing with in North Korea. The only thing the NK's understand is strength and power. The diplomacy, ass kissing and payoffs hasn't worked.

For the person previously in this thread joking about waterboarding, I'd read up on what goes on in North Korean camps. It is unimaginable brutality and torture. Waterboarding is chocolate cake by comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 10:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
They were in China on the Tumen River and had crossed the river into North Korea. The cameraman took off running back across the river along with another dude that was with them.

Unfortunately there is not much we can do for them except to pay ransom. And that has always been a bad precedent.

I hope the liberals understand who exactly we are dealing with in North Korea. The only thing the NK's understand is strength and power. The diplomacy, ass kissing and payoffs hasn't worked.

For the person previously in this thread joking about waterboarding, I'd read up on what goes on in North Korean camps. It is unimaginable brutality and torture. Waterboarding is chocolate cake by comparison.
Uh, were you there? That is the "official" story. It may not be true.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Uh, were you there? That is the "official" story. It may not be true.
No I wasn't there but I can read a map. The Tumen River is on the Chinese/NK border.

For them to be randomly snatched out of South Korea would be a huge undertaking. It's been done by the north before, but I don't see it happening in this case. Two journalists from a tv channel five people and a dog watch are not that special.

Also there is no evidence such occurred. If so post a link.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:42 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
No I wasn't there but I can read a map. The Tumen River is on the Chinese/NK border.

For them to be randomly snatched out of South Korea would be a huge undertaking. It's been done by the north before, but I don't see it happening in this case. Two journalists from a tv channel five people and a dog watch are not that special.

With all the recent events though, I can see them doing it to get something to use when dealing with the rest of the world.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:15 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,897,149 times
Quote:
According to a story I heard on NPR (sorry, no link), there is evidence that the charges were fabricated, and that they may have actually been kidnapped from S. Korea. I doubt they are being treated "just fine".
If they were kidnapped then that changes everything. I believe along with many others they will be treated humanely simply for political image after their release (surprising NK's political image probably couldn't get much worse).

I'm very interested to see what Obama's plan of action will be on this one since NK is, as of this morning, provoking nuclear war.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:22 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i honestly sympathize with any president who has to deal with kim-jong-mentally-il.
it's like trying to talk down a 9-year old kid who stumbled onto your stashed bottle of wild turkey and your neighbor's loaded mossberg.

except that this particular kid will never sober up..
Agreed uggabugga. He's a crazy one.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:24 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:

I seriously doubt that these women were foolish enough to venture into North Korea. Especially considering the political climate lately, I wouldn't hesitate to think they were kidnapped from South Korea. Good post Katiana.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:35 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,897,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I seriously doubt that these women were foolish enough to venture into North Korea. Especially considering the political climate lately, I wouldn't hesitate to think they were kidnapped from South Korea. Good post Katiana.
You still have to look at it from a journalistic perspective. They will venture ANYWHERE. Hell, we had journalists in Somalia in the early 90's. We had journalists in Baghdad when the insurgency was at it's worst and contractors/journalists were being beheaded.

I will admit I had not thought of the prospect they may have been kidnapped, but it's just as possible they were out to get the story of the year.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:

Right here (was too tired last night to dig around on NPR):

N. Korea Sentences Two U.S. Journalists : NPR

"The two were reporting about the trafficking of North Korean women at the time of their arrest, and it's unclear if they strayed into the North or were grabbed by aggressive border guards who crossed into China."

The story I heard on NPR used the word "kidnpapped".

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 06-09-2009 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 06-09-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Right here (was too tired last night to dig around on NPR):

N. Korea Sentences Two U.S. Journalists : NPR

"The two were reporting about the trafficking of North Korean women at the time of their arrest, and it's unclear if they strayed into the North or were grabbed by aggressive border guards who crossed into China."

The story I heard on NPR used the word "kidnpapped".
Well you had said they were kidnapped from South Korea in your original post. Clearly not.

I agree it could have been possible to have been snatched from across the river, however the first reports I remember from the cameraman was that they had crossed the river into North Korea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies