Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 01:37 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ahhh, the S&P 500 is pretty much where it was when Bush left, lower for the year, pretty much disputes all of the "Stock market increases due to Obama" threads started here, dont it?
So you are not going to honestly own that your original statement was false?

Game-playing, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 01:40 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
So you are not going to honestly own that your original statement was false?

Game-playing, huh?
I think I confirmed that I mis-spoke on the Marketwatch story (which of course I didnt write), are you going to be honest that Obama had NOTHING to do with the stock market increase that we had recently?

If he did have something to do with the increase, then of course he holds responsibilty for the fall over the last week.

If he didnt have anything to do with the increase, then Bush didnt have anything to do with the decrease..

Which do you prefer? What argument will liberals take today on the topic?

Old 06-22-2009, 01:44 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
Bush has been out of office for more than five months, and the market is lower than when he left. Will Democrats continue to blame Bush, or will they now come to their senses and play partisan over the fact that the president does not control the market?
I think you need an econ and history class. Probably several of them.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I think you need an econ and history class. Probably several of them.
Really? I note you didnt dispute anything with FACTS, other than your pretend fantasy land that presidents control the market or are you now claiming that Obama is to blame for the current drop?

Old 06-22-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I think I confirmed that I mis-spoke on the Marketwatch story (which of course I didnt write), are you going to be honest that Obama had NOTHING to do with the stock market increase that we had recently?

If he did have something to do with the increase, then of course he holds responsibilty for the fall over the last week.

If he didnt have anything to do with the increase, then Bush didnt have anything to do with the decrease..

Which do you prefer? What argument will liberals take today on the topic?
What argument will I take today on the topic? Hmmm, think, think, think!

It's coming to me....., yep, by George I think I've got it! Presidents are never 100% responsible for what happens on the stock market, and they're hardly ever 0% responsible. The stock market is a peculiar animal, a gambling device, really, and as such is strikingly unpredictable. But it's not just a gamble, it's also an investment. So it demands a certain level of optimism, a confidence in the future, not just in a specific company, but in the economy as well. Economic stability and growth is entwined with political stability. And the political stability of a country is largely dependent on the actions of its leaders. So, President Bush played some part in the economic downturns, but he certainly wasn't 100% responsible. And in the five months that he's been in office, President Obama has played some part in the roller coaster in the markets that we've seen thus far. Your either/or scenario is not a reality-based proposition.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
What argument will I take today on the topic? Hmmm, think, think, think!

It's coming to me....., yep, by George I think I've got it! Presidents are never 100% responsible for what happens on the stock market, and they're hardly ever 0% responsible. The stock market is a peculiar animal, a gambling device, really, and as such is strikingly unpredictable. But it's not just a gamble, it's also an investment. So it demands a certain level of optimism, a confidence in the future, not just in a specific company, but in the economy as well. Economic stability and growth is entwined with political stability. And the political stability of a country is largely dependent on the actions of its leaders. So, President Bush played some part in the economic downturns, but he certainly wasn't 100% responsible. And in the five months that he's been in office, President Obama has played some part in the roller coaster in the markets that we've seen thus far. Your either/or scenario is not a reality-based proposition.
Thats a lot of talk to come to "Obama to blame for the fall".. That would have been so much quicker to say..

I note how this thread is not being joined by all of those liberals who jumped in to credit Obama when the market was going up...

Old 06-22-2009, 01:59 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
Really? I note you didnt dispute anything with FACTS, other than your pretend fantasy land that presidents control the market or are you now claiming that Obama is to blame for the current drop?
The numbers are what they are. What's to dispute? It's your hypothesis that is ignorant.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Thats a lot of talk to come to "Obama to blame for the fall".. That would have been so much quicker to say..

I note how this thread is not being joined by all of those liberals who jumped in to credit Obama when the market was going up...
That's a pretty impressive way to completely mis-state my post. Perhaps you didn't read it thoroughly.......

Old 06-22-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
That's a pretty impressive way to completely mis-state my post. Perhaps you didn't read it thoroughly.......
Ooh I read it completely through, you just didnt like my synopsis..
Quote:
President Obama has played some part in the roller coaster in the markets that we've seen thus far.
No other liberal want to join the topic? Wonder why?

Old 06-22-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
The numbers are what they are. What's to dispute? It's your hypothesis that is ignorant.
No more ignorant than how many threads we had to read about how great Obama was and about how Obama was causing the economic recover when the stock market was going down.

My "hypothesis", is simply a recap of the liberal "hypothesis" when the market was going up, but in reverse.. After all, if Obama is to credit for the market going up, then obviously, he is to blame when it goes down.. right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies