Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 10:38 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,619,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
How do you suggest I should have shown it? Itals wouldnt have been right. Quotes were the only way. I think they're correct in this case.
how about not making up fake quotes in the first place?
problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 10:39 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,192,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
how about not making up fake quotes in the first place?
problem solved.
Im sure you're not a stupid person, but I already told you I was paraphrasing Cynthia and the poster's attitude. If you dont understand that it's not my problem. I didnt claim anywhere to be quoting anyone.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:41 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,172,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
A fantastic debate. Thanks to those who responded with their beliefs.
I assume you don't want reseach for a cancer cure funded because there's always been cancer and will continue to be.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Looks like she won't be reelected....
Sadly, she may be. After all, she was elected!

Quote:
This was a while ago, but I remember getting vouchers for free food when I worked at McD's.
I think you have to be 16 to work there.

Quote:
I never implied that. Charities have been known to pick up the slack.
Have you been reading your local paper lately? Ours all talk of how donations to food banks are down and the need is up. Where do you live? Beverly Hills?

Quote:
C'mon, have some more faith in individuals.

I'm sure the charities are going quite well, and in my estimation is outpacing government assistance in helping people. I'm absolutely certain they're more efficient at feeding needy people.
See above. Since you are absolutely certain, please provide some statistics.

Quote:
They starved then and they starved now, with or without the government. That's all I'm trying to say. The government is powerless to actually help, IMHO. We also have no money to do so. Therfore, it can only be expressed in empty rhetoric, and that's not very nice.
Yeah, the starving we will always have with us.

Quote:
I wish people would trust their fellow man over of an inefficient bureaucracy.
I don't think trust has anything to do with it.

Quote:
I don't think they help, because the money that is used to fund those programs is extracted from other individuals forcefully, under the penalty of incarceration for resisting. Also, that money is extracted from small business owners who might otherwise have the money to employ this individual or others who'd have more money to help them out.
Are you familiar at all with the food stamp program? It started out as the old surplus food program; people were given food. My grandparents were recipients. The purpose was to shore up farm prices. The school lunch program has the same genesis. You are aware, too, that we pay farmers not to grow food?

In fact, this surplus food program is still going on.

Going Hungry in America: What Happened to the Food Surplus?

Quote:
The steep decline has been particularly startling because the system that supplies much-needed food has traditionally benefited both farmers and emergency food programs. When supplies of a commodity exceed demand and prices are low, the government buys up the surplus and gives it to food banks, food pantries and other assistance programs. In this way the USDA brings supply and demand more in line and helps shore up prices for key commodities such as milk, butter and wheat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leangk View Post
yeah humans are motivated by hunger... its called nazi germany.. hungry and desperate..

are people really that inconsiderate and sick that they truly believe that??? "its not my fault its not my children" is something I commonly hear, but they are children!! they didn't choose to be born. we all have a common responsibility to look after eachother
Famine brought many immigrants to the US.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:24 PM

37,176 posts, read 19,255,826 times
If a hungry child is nothing but a political football to someone, there is a serious problem, and it is not the hungry child.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:09 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,848,450 times
wow, an article from thinkprogress. thanks. outside of the onion, I don't know where to get better news.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:55 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,192,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
wow, an article from thinkprogress. thanks. outside of the onion, I don't know where to get better news.
? it's a direct quote from this woman's newsletter, plus a link to the newsletter.

I dont understand that sort of thinking. "Im afraid to accept the news article from source A, even though it's thoroughly sourced and even contains the same quotes as source B."

Old 06-23-2009, 01:57 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,307,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I assume you don't want reseach for a cancer cure funded because there's always been cancer and will continue to be.
Yes this broad has a low IQ and has no business in political.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:19 AM

37,176 posts, read 19,255,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
Yes this broad has a low IQ and has no business in political.
Broad?????

Old 06-23-2009, 04:26 AM

4,541 posts, read 6,813,077 times
If more people actually witnessed how these programs worked they would cry. First of all many of these "meals" are junk pimped by major food corporations. The breakfast program in my school is sugary cereal such as Frosted Flakes, Pop Tarts and high sugar "juice" that is sprinkled with vitamins to make it a "nutritious meal." Almost without exception, the kids rip apart the prepackaged breakfast, pull out the Pop Tart or juice box and toss the entire remains right into the garbage. My colleagues and I have asked to set up boxes for the unopened remaining items to give to the homeless shelters and have been told that it is against the law.

At lunch, many students take the entire lunch including the required milk and toss everything except the french fries right into the garbage. When they tried to get rid of the french fries and replace it with something more nutritious sales by paying customers went down. Paying customers are a necessary component to help subsidize the cost of the free and reduced recipients so they brought them back.

Parents should be held more accountable. Many are receiving welfare payments and W-I-C for the purpose of purchasing food and other necessities for their family. Recipients need to be accountable for managing the funds they receive. If the recipients are not using the money for the intended purposes then the social worker should counsel the recipient accordingly and make an intervention if the welfare of the children is being ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies