Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:29 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,729,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
You clearly have no idea how the court system works in this country.

Here are some facts for you.

Sotomayor has written over 200 opinions as an appellate judge. Of those, only five were deemed worthy for consideration by the Supreme Court. Of those five, three were overturned. Therefore, only three out of more than 200 opinions she wrote were overturned by the Supreme Court. That is an extremely GOOD record, and, in your words, "one that should not be ignored".
Nice try, but don't expect to change any of the Sotomayor detractors' minds with facts or logic. None are so blind as those who refuse to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 10:40 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,373,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
You've earned your handle.

She's not a racist in the least. If you have to go back to one sentence in one speech to make your case, you don't have one.

I'm sure that President Obama is proud to be nominating the first Latina to the court. And most reasonable people agree that it's a good idea to have diversity on the court. However, you see through that logic and you know that he has different motives.

You're amazing. Or something.
You don't have to agree with me, but don't insult me. I'm entitled to my opinion, and my opinion is what it is. Or are you just one of those arrogant people who thinks anyone who doesn't have the same opinion as you must be stupid?

Old 06-30-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So you think all those white males were chosen for white male support?
Nope, he's not pandering for their support. He is however, with his "DREAM" act and push for amnesty pandering for the support of a group of people who are the majority in many parts of the country.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:56 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,221,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
You don't have to agree with me, but don't insult me. I'm entitled to my opinion, and my opinion is what it is. Or are you just one of those arrogant people who thinks anyone who doesn't have the same opinion as you must be stupid?
Apparently, you have no problem insulting Sonia Sotomayor based on nothing. She's a highly accomplished and brilliant jurist, with a long history of success despite the odds against her. And you're just fine slamming her with a horrible insult.

I have no problem calling your "opinion" of her stupid. Becuase that's what it is. It's the "opinion" of a hack who has no interest in the truth - one who just wants to slam Sotomayor, and by extension, Obama.

You can lecture me about ettiquete when you practice it yourself.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:59 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,913,446 times
Quote:
Nope, he's not pandering for their support. He is however, with his "DREAM" act and push for amnesty pandering for the support of a group of people who are the majority in many parts of the country.

Because there can be no other reason to appoint Sotomayor besides her ethnicity? Her long service on the bench, her experience as a prosecutor, the many citations of her opinions? Her qualifications are neglible is what you are saying?

Old 06-30-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Apparently, you have no problem insulting Sonia Sotomayor based on nothing. She's a highly accomplished and brilliant jurist, with a long history of success despite the odds against her. And you're just fine slamming her with a horrible insult.
No, I don't have a problem personally attacking Sotomayor on this forum because that's my right. You however are not allowed to personally attack others because you don't agree with them. Read the TOS genuis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie
I have no problem calling your "opinion" of her stupid. Becuase that's what it is.
Also your opinion. If it makes you feel better, I think your opinion is asinine as well, and also think liberalism is a mental disorder. Opinions are great, aren't you glad we shared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie
It's the "opinion" of a hack who has no interest in the truth - one who just wants to slam Sotomayor, and by extension, Obama.
No no, I'm just not in denial of the truth. Look around, read up, you'll find many that share my opinion on Sotomayor. But we must all be idiots with baseless opinions, and you must be the only one with an intelligent opinion.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Because there can be no other reason to appoint Sotomayor besides her ethnicity? Her long service on the bench, her experience as a prosecutor, the many citations of her opinions? Her qualifications are neglible is what you are saying?
Not the only reason, but definitely at the least part of the reason.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:15 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,984,873 times
Quote:
one who just wants to slam Sotomayor, and by extension, Obama
And on the other side of the aisle, we have those who will support obama blindly and by extension, all of his policies and political appointees, without researching the issue or individual. Sheeple, in other words.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:

No no, I'm just not in denial of the truth. Look around, read up, you'll find many that share my opinion on Sotomayor. But we must all be idiots with baseless opinions, and you must be the only one with an intelligent opinion.
I'm confused about what you consider to be the truth. Just because other people share your opinion doesn't actually give your opinion more weight. If you picked six numbers for the lottery, and 12 million other people selected the same numbers, it wouldn't make those numbers more likely to win. I've asked you to support your opinion beyond a single sentence made in one speech years ago, and her membership in an organization that it can be argued only exists to advance acceptance of Hispanics in our society. She has served as a judge for 17 years, and issued hundreds of opinions. Where are the racist opinions? Where are the biased judgments?

Old 06-30-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Not the only reason, but definitely at the least part of the reason.
She has more experience as a jurist at this point in her career than any of the current justices had when they were nominated. Why should her ethnicity merit more consideration than her qualifications?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies