Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 12:45 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
How cheap/good do you think state schools are going to be as the state goes bankrupt? They pay as much for higher education as they do to Dept of Corrections as of the last budget.
Although the fees are subject to increases, the CSU system is one of the most affordable systems of higher education as compared to universities in other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 12:47 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
i am seeing such really good posts on this thread so much better than 2 years ago when everybody had to have an MBA at any cost like some sort of paris gown. jr college VE is looking a whole lot better these days.
debt is not meaningless, i like ronald reagan but he was certainlyi not an economist.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:47 AM

8 posts, read 4,846 times
If you go to jail, isn't college education free? plus free room and board? free medical coverage? plus no partying distractions.

Can't you even get a law degree?

Old 07-02-2009, 12:49 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajibamid View Post
If you go to jail, isn't college education free? plus free room and board? free medical coverage? plus no partying distractions.
I am totally against free college education for inmates. The purpose of jail is punishment not to provide perks that the general, law-abiding citizens don't get to enjoy.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:51 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Although the fees are subject to increases, the CSU system is one of the most affordable systems of higher education as compared to universities in other states.
And I'm stating that a lot of this is going to change as the state tanks because the state's priorities are off. They're already planning on an across the board 8% cut on all staff that work in the UC system.

I'm just saying how things are NOW regarding universities might change drastically in the next decade, which would be good. Not everyone needs to go to college. I remember my lower level courses were filled with people who didn't give a damn and were there because they felt they had to.

Quote:
I am totally against free college education for inmates. The purpose of jail is punishment not to provide perks that the general, law-abiding citizens don't get to enjoy.
No, the purpose is to make sure they can be mildly productive when they re-enter society so we don't spend more money sending them back to prison when they get out.

When I say California's priorities are out of whack this is pretty good example of what I'm referring to.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:40 AM

841 posts, read 2,260,592 times
I like this Article. It keeps conservatives that much stupider.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:41 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,191,607 times
College is not for education but for credentials. An education is free to anyone willing to do the self study.
If there were alternate ways to get credentials, colleges might lose their monopoly hold on credentials. Or worse, they'd have to lower their fees to be more competitive.

Frankly, if you really believe college is for an education, why would credentials from Harvard or Yale be superior to a State college? The volume and quality of the education is not a magnitude superior, nor are graduates imbued with a nimbus of superiority. And a student with a 4.0 GPA from State U can't be deemed inferior to a 2.5 GPA from an Ivy League institution... yet we all know "it" happens.

Suggestion: Offer credentials by examination, supervised by a public authority.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:29 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,298,733 times
Quote:
No, sentencing does take punishment into account to be sure but rehabilitation is also considered. In fact, the legal system is just as interested in rehabilitation as it is in punishment. Society is much better off if a perpetrator is rehabilitated than if he just does his time and then is realeased back into society. If a prisoner can be released with some education and/or skills we all benefit. Your view of sentencing being only for punishment is extremely short sightest.

- Reel

Old 07-02-2009, 04:52 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,298,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
College is not for education but for credentials. An education is free to anyone willing to do the self study.
If there were alternate ways to get credentials, colleges might lose their monopoly hold on credentials. Or worse, they'd have to lower their fees to be more competitive.

Frankly, if you really believe college is for an education, why would credentials from Harvard or Yale be superior to a State college? The volume and quality of the education is not a magnitude superior, nor are graduates imbued with a nimbus of superiority. And a student with a 4.0 GPA from State U can't be deemed inferior to a 2.5 GPA from an Ivy League institution... yet we all know "it" happens.

You are correct. One can become just as educated by going to the library. However, for an employer hiring non-professionals which is the vast majority of hires, the significance of having the credential, i.e. diploma, is not that you have some specific body of knowledge. The significance is that you have the intelligence and ability to get into college and successfully navigate your way to graduation.

Employers would rather hire someone with a high IQ because a IQ is the single most accurate predictor of how well one will do in life and on the job. However back in the 70's it was determined that IQ tests could not be used because they had a disparate impact on certain groups of our citizens. Employers began using other kinds of more job related tests which also ran into intense scrutiny and generated many lawsuits for the same reason.

For the same reason, employers also cannot use SAT scores. However, employers know that you need a certain SAT score to get into college and they know that you need good SAT scores to get into good colleges. Further, they know that if you happened to get into college without an adequate SAT score, the likelihood that you would graduate are slim.

So employers use a college degree to gauge the intelligence of prospective employees. Except for the professions, none of us uses anything that we learned in college on the job. Our degrees are an indication of our ability to learn what the employer has to teach us. In other words, a college degree is an indication of our intelligence.

I have a prediction. Obama is now talking as if he wants everyone to have a college degree. It will be like high school. Everyone goes and it will be free for those who cannot afford it. Many who are not college material will end up in college and, just like high school, many will be pushed through to graduation despite academic shortcomings. Many who graduate from high school today read and compute at an eighth grade level. This will dilute the significance of a college degree and it will no longer be an adequate predictor of intelligence and on the job performance. But employers will come up with some other way to determine who are the more intelligent among us.

- Reel

Old 07-02-2009, 05:27 AM

Location: Upstate NY for now. Hanover, New Hampshire come the fall.
99 posts, read 153,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post

I'm not going to pretend to be without bias here. I'm 18, my Senior year of high school just ended and I will be at Dartmouth College in the fall. Obviously being a future student of an Ivy league institution(and having so many family members having attained an Ivy degree), I suppose I could be slanted a bit, but this background has also helped give me some perspective on things.

There is a big difference in the credentials of an Ivy league(or similarly prestigious) institution and your average state college. I've recently been through the Ivy league recruiting/admissions process, and the sheer difficulty of this alone is enough to convince me that there is a big difference in the quality of an Ivy vs. a state school.

Firstly, the qualifications you need to even think of applying are tremendous. My original SAT score was in the 90th percentile, and it still wasn't enough. That same score, by contrast, would have put me well into the top 10% of applicants at ANY State University of New York School, save for a couple(Binghampton and geneseo come to mind, and even there it'd have been 25%). The standards for extra-curricular activities are similarly stringent.

I am also a recruited athlete(football), and the difference can be seen here as well. At most Division 1 schools, an athlete needs a relatively low score(about 1300 on the new SAT scale) in order to play. These lower admissions standards usually ensure that the average scores for athletes are somewhat lower than the average for the rest of the population.
Not so in the Ivy League. If your score is below 1800, they will not take you. Each year, across the entire league, only a handful(perhaps about 10) recruits with scores below 1900 manage to get in. My 1920 was not enough for them-I needed a near 200 point improvement before admissions would let me by, whereas ANY state schools would have been more than satisfied with my original score.
You do not find those types of exacting standards at state schools. Those guys are there, most of the time, to play football. They are, in essence, semi-pro athletes and, in far too many cases, are treated like athlete-students, not student-athletes.

You might be saying right about now "Ah, that's BS, so what about SAT scores?" and "Who cares about the standards for football players?", etc, etc. So why am I bothering to tell you this? Because it is these same exacting standards for admission that create the differences we're talking about.

The truth is, there is not a perfect correllation between Ivy League educations and greater potential/success. I personally know some students who will attent my local state university in Albany when they could have(if they tried) applied and got into Cornell, among other Ivies. Such examples abound at State schools.

But I do challenge that there is an imperfect, but fairly high correlation. The standards applied guarantee that you cannot gain acceptance to these schools without having put together a very impressive body of work in secondary school, the type that requires an intense amount of dedication, discipline, and mental ability. That simply means that the student body selected by these institutions typically possesses each of those qualities I mentioned to a higher degree on average than do those at less selective institutions.

Employers know this. They understand that a Cornell 4.0 will not best an Albany State(NY) 4.0 EVERY time. But they will bet on the Cornell grad most of the time simply because he/she has been through a more rigorous academic experience(got through selective acceptance, got through 4 years of serious competition with other very qualified applicants, etc, etc). They've essentially already been screened for the qualities that employers like-discipline, intelligence, and dedication. You can't meet their admissions standards, nor can you graduate without these qualities.

Nevermind the quality of the staff at these schools. You don't get the sheer number of Nobel Laureates lecturing to you at Arizona State the way you get at Brown or Princeton.

These same factors I'm talking about guarantee that your scenario(2.5GPA from Ivy vs. 4.0 from State U) is unrealistic. The average GPA at Harvard, for example, is 3.53. All of the sports teams at Dartmouth average 3.0 or higher. Yale is at 3.6, Princeton about the same. You will not find a lot of 2.5s at any Ivy. The Ivy League is basically composed entirely of the students who spent their entire high school career going postal about a single B- on their report card. They fret over EVERY SINGLE grade bcause they know that without a GPA approaching perfection(at least 3.7), they will be unable to gain admittance to an Ivy. The only time you'll catch them slipping is in the last semester of their senior year, and even then they rarely average below a B. Go to college admissions forums like collegeconfidential.com. You'll see kids there going postal about having one B on their report card for Junior year. They hold themselves to a high standard-its the only way to get in.

Please understand that I'm not trying to drum every student at a State U, nor am I trying to portray every studetn at a selective institution as a faultless, god-like scholar. Like I said, I personally know people whom I could consider good, very intelligent friends who are attending such schools for many reasons, and I know that they could(had they so chosen) hold their own at any Ivy. I was puzzled that they didn't apply.
The fact of the matter is, though, that the standards at Ivies(and other similarly selective institutions) are higher. The effort needed to get in is much higher. The effort needed to survive for 4 years is much greater. In general, that usually means that ON AVERAGE the academic quality of the students(and,by extension, the degree they earn) is a significantly higher.

The differences are there, and they just can't be minimized the way that you(and the author of this article) are trying to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies