Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 08:17 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,385,282 times

Advertisements

Each Fourth of July for the past few years has gotten sadder for me as I always reflect on the thousands of supreme sacrifices made by American soldiers on the battlefields of the world and how those sacrifices are so easily forgotten by generations who increasingly have trouble identifying the enemies of their own nation.

However on a lighter note, when each July 4th morning dawns, my nation and I are both one year older.

Happy Birthday America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 08:40 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,651,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I'm not advocating we stop celebrating; I'm simply saying that to continue to celebrate, over 230 years after the fact, our emancipation from the control of the British Monarchy (which is what Independence Day is actually celebrating, not the birthday of the U.S.), is just silly.

The holiday should prevail, no doubt. But it's now just an American holiday by which we have fun, BBQ, have fireworks and enjoy friends and family. I don't think many of us sit around and think to ourselves, "Hmm....sure am glad we defeated those nasty British royals."
But it's not just about the first 4th of July, it is a day to think about the people still fighting while we are having our good time. I am not a fan of our operations in Iraq, but I realize the men and women over there are serving their country and deserve a thought on this day that marks our independence. I am not saying we should stop celebrating. That's a big part of the holiday. I am just saying we should spare a thought for those who served long ago, and those currently serving.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:14 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,740,099 times
Default California Girls post a bit disturbing......

but I suspect, representative of a great portion of our population....

Let's see if I can put it into a different perspective, that perhaps will garner a bit more understanding..............

This is a picture of the American Cemetery at Normandy in France. Each one of those little white monuments you see is a fallen US soldier....

One of them there is my uncle....I never knew him, he never got to marry, so I never had a aunt, or cousins from that branch of my family.......

That same story is repeated for every one of those little white monuments you see there....

But this is just one such cemetery, they are scattered across the globe, and here at home, from every war, from 1776 to the present. And they all have ONE thing in common...they all died so YOU could have the freedom to post your sentiments on the 4th of July holiday, and all the other things you do in the course of any given day. These are the true patriots.

Unless you and your family just arrived in this country in the past few decades, if you cared to look hard enuf, you might find one of your family members sacrificed, and served their country at one time as well.....

Just something to think about, as you take that first bite of that delicious grilled hot dog tomorrow........
Attached Thumbnails
What, if anything, will you be thinking about on the 4th of July?-no1w.jpg  

Last edited by Compression; 07-03-2009 at 09:22 PM..

Old 07-03-2009, 09:34 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,867,203 times
TEA Parties and how Americans are waking up to the fact that another American Revolution is in the making!

http://www.teapartyday.com/

Old 07-03-2009, 09:45 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,562,181 times
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson to William S. Smith,
November 13, 1787

"The price of Liberty is eternal vigilance." Thomas Jefferson

I think about both of these quotes quite often and it seems the older I get, the more I truly understand what they mean.

I am concerned that many of us are no longer vigilant . . . and are allowing our various freedoms to be eroded away w/ the enactment of regulations that allow the federal government to have much too much control over our daily lives.

So I will be thinking about those things, while also enjoying a wonderful day w/ family and friends.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:49 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,523,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
National Quitters Day in Honor of Sarah Palin...
You are something else. No doubt that's as deep as a shallow sheep like you can go.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:08 AM

24,447 posts, read 23,117,922 times
I was just thinking that it doesn't feel like the Fourth of July. We haven't had really warm weather yet, June only had 3 85 degree days. And people seem a little depressed and disheartened. Like they've forgotten what the day is about and what America used to be like. We used to be great , now we're just lost. Its been that way for the last several years, probably the last 10 or 15, just gradually we've been losing our way. But now its really begun to slide downhill. No more conviction, no more will to fight and work, just malaise. We had a brief turnaround after 9/11, where most people got together and put the good of the country ahead of themselves, but it didn't last long.
People don't know when or how the country was founded or who founded it, they don't even care. They don't know about history or the sacrifice of our ancestors to make this country great, they take what they have for granted and expect entitlements. Or they only focus on selfish pursuits. They don't even respect the political governing system anymore when its been the only thing thats kept the country from falling apart centuries ago. And our leaders, in both parties, are the ones doing the most to bring the country down.
And then there's just the feeling that we're really in for it, that the economy is going to really tank soon and we'll be even less like the America we used to be.
But maybe we'll emerge from this poorer and wiser, tougher and less foolish. We survived some pretty bad times, maybe we'll get back on track after things really fall apart and we'll be better for it. One can hope.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:40 AM

1,653 posts, read 4,302,264 times
I'll be thinking about how this might be the last 4th of July that we are free. Who knows if we will even be allowed to celebrate next year.

Obammy might appoint a Czar to over see the cancelling of cookouts and fireworks and tax anyone who has one.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:42 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,176,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
You know, with all the fireworks, cookouts, and beer I often feel most of us don't really pause on this special day to think about the things that really matter on this special day. Over the last 6 years, my thoughts are usually drawn to our brothers and sisters on foreign soil. Are they having a beer and a burger right now, or are they in the desert or walking through the narrow alleys of Baghdad. They aren't here with us to celebrate, and no amount of speeches or special dinners will change that fact. So I think of them, and hope they are having as much fun as they possibly can given the situation.

So now that I have laid out the general idea of this thread, please share with us what you will be thinking about on the 4th. In the end, no matter your politics or your principles, you are all Americans. Be proud and aware of your freedom, and be appreciative of those who serve our country. Remember, even if you don't agree with the current conflict, those men and women are across the sea doing their duty. Keep this thread respectful. Ok, I'll shut up and let someone else talk.
I think of our troops and what they go through just about everyday....a holiday does not change anything, it is not special if you die or have body parts blown off..

Old 07-04-2009, 07:49 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,555,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
I'll be thinking about how this might be the last 4th of July that we are free. Who knows if we will even be allowed to celebrate next year.

Obammy might appoint a Czar to over see the cancelling of cookouts and fireworks and tax anyone who has one.
I'll be thinking of how clueless rightwingers are (but I do that everyday).

And with the "bombs bursting in air" I will be reminded that we are still in the midst of two foreign occupations that have resulted in appalling civilian casualties.

For the last two 4th of July's I flew my flag upside down. This year I wont bother flying it at all. I only hope that when the American empire crumbles that fascism is not willing to step into the resulting void. If that were to happen, then Americans would really know who loves and values freedom, and who is just running their mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies