Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2007, 03:19 PM

366 posts, read 387,002 times

Advertisements

A lot of good the gun did him...he would have been much better off with a book about edible tundra fruits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 03:21 PM

607 posts, read 3,558,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
you guys are all talking like you will always be in a position and have the time to take the criminal out, that wont always be the case, unless you have ESP and eyes in the back of your head. That's why I have take karate and several self defense classes. I can disarm a criminal with a gun or knife in most cases.
If you really believe that you can disarm a criminal with a gun using karate your sensei needs to close down his or her dojo and flip burgers for a living. Every single situation is different and the biggest danger for you is overconfidence. In Asian martial arts humility is just as important as training. BE CAREFUL

Old 04-18-2007, 03:24 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyboy View Post
If you really believe that you can disarm a criminal with a gun using karate your sensei needs to close down his or her dojo and flip burgers for a living. Every single situation is different and the biggest danger for you is overconfidence. In Asian martial arts humility is just as important as training. BE CAREFUL
Did I say I use karate to disarm I just use karate to increase my strength and agility. I have take 6 different self defense classes based on protection and disarming a predator. look them up they are out there and it worked for me, I was not raped due to my knowledge from the classes.. And yes overconfidence is a killer, just like thinking you will always be able to shoot a criminal if one attacks.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:26 PM

366 posts, read 387,002 times
I think the same can be said for gun nuts, that the biggest danger is overconfidence.

In the real Alaska, I of course had a gun...it's a tool. I still have the gun and will perhaps get it back someday, though I have no real plans again for living in the bush.

Interesting that you should bring humility up--that's one thing that humans can learn from living in the true wilderness. I don't know many people there who have big and bad attitudes just because they own a gun.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy View Post
I think the same can be said for gun nuts, that the biggest danger is overconfidence.

In the real Alaska, I of course had a gun...it's a tool. I still have the gun and will perhaps get it back someday, though I have no real plans again for living in the bush.

Interesting that you should bring humility up--that's one thing that humans can learn from living in the true wilderness. I don't know many people there who have big and bad attitudes just because they own a gun.
I bet you did need a gun there huh? Rough Country?
we are moving to the Rockies, and my husband is concered about Bears and mountian lions, we have a rifle and a crossbow. I hope we are covered!!!

Old 04-18-2007, 03:32 PM

959 posts, read 2,361,367 times
Smile My big, bad attitude

LOL!

As a gun owner, I can categorically say my big, bad attitude has nothing to do with owning a gun. I had that attitude a loooong time ago, and it is not an attitude of stupid over-confidence or arrogance; just an attitude of realistic confidence that I can and will take care of myself or others in dangerous situations, with or without a gun. I have the experiences to prove that; I'm not confident in my abilties for no reason.

However, I prefer "with."

Old 04-18-2007, 03:33 PM

607 posts, read 3,558,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Did I say I use karate to disarm I just use karate to increase my strength and agility. I have take 6 different self defense classes based on protection and disarming a predator. look them up they are out there and it worked for me, I was not raped due to my knowledge from the classes.. And yes overconfidence is a killer, just like thinking you will always be able to shoot a criminal if one attacks.
I agree nea. I, as a CWP holder, hate the thought of having to fire or even show the weapon in self defence. Bad carma

Old 04-18-2007, 03:36 PM

Here's one
Just found out the killer was found by a court in 2005 to be of imminent danger and sent to a facitlity!! Why was he allowed to buy a gun? you can goto foxnews or cnn both have it.

Cho Seung-Hui in 2005 was declared mentally ill by a Virginia special justice, who declared he was "an imminent danger" to himself, a court document states.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:39 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,558 times
Well, here's something else for y'all to chew on. When we went through Ivan and Dennis a couple of years ago, we didn't have much looting going on. Know why? 'Cause most folks around here knew that it was a real strong possibility, that they would get shot, by people protecting themselves, and their property. In fact, a number of people had spray-painted signs on their homes, warning people that they were armed, and that looters would be shot. Some of them probably didn't actually have a gun in the house, of course, but it was still a deterrent. As has been pointed out before, criminals don't want to take the chance on being confronted by an armed citizen. Now, that might not mean much to those of you who would like to see all the guns dropped into the first available volcano, but to us, it meant alot. We couldn't rely on the police or the county deputies. There was no way they could be everywhere, (for goodness' sake, they can't under normal circumstances). They had their hands full, trying to help folks, when and where they could. Not to mention the fact, that it is pointless to have to wait. Chances are, you'll be dead or badly hurt, long before they could get to you anyway.

It would be nice if we didn't live in a world where we have to protect ourselves against the two-legged predators. But, as long as we do, kindly keep your hands off of my guns, and my right to self-defense, (which, by the way, we all have). If you don't want to own a gun, that is absolutely your right. But, don't step all over my rights, and those of all other lawful gun owners, in your zeal to make this country a Utopia. There is no such thing, sorry to say, because there will always be those awful ugly people who want to prey on others, particularly if they perceive them as defenseless.

Last edited by CelticLady1; 04-18-2007 at 03:50 PM..

Old 04-18-2007, 03:42 PM

959 posts, read 2,361,367 times
+1 CelticLady....indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies