Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 08:33 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,844,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
And seriously, constantly starting threads like this helps nothing. Threads like this just refresh hatred and get everyone's mind back on the race issue. That's the reason why it will take a thousand years. Because no matter how much progress is actually made, there will always be someone ready to kick us down a peg and yell "Ha, ha, you really haven't accomplished anything." I grew up in an entirely integrated area which was seemingly almost completely devoid of racial prejudice and I am from North Carolina for God's sake. Sure, you have a few misguided country boys who have been raised to hate, but for the most part race doesn't and hasn't played a big part in our lives.

You say it will always be around. Well isn't that an attitude that will certainly help contribute to that very result? Why are these threads always about the negative and never the positive. No one is denying that racism exists. But on a much smaller scale than ever before. And "muslim" is not a race, it is a religion. If you mean "Arabic" people, I would have to say it isn't racism that is the problem, it is fear. They have been demonized in front of the entire world. Of course people are going to be skittish after the World Trade Center and numerous other attacks around the world attributed to radical Muslims. But that isn't due to their race, it is due to their reputation.

And either way, no real progress can ever be made if all we ever hear is "racism is alive and well everywhere and it always will be" Our younger generations are chipping away at the problem, breaking down racial barriers just as fast as the media can rebuild them with hate talk and rehashed history. And eventually, the overwhelming majority will cease worrying about color. Let's help the progress by talking about the barriers being brought down instead of building them back up again.
I don't think that threads like this are the problem. there are only around 100 people in the political forums who post a lot. even if it is 500, that still isn't much. if I could give the world a pill, and make it forget history, I would. but I know from experience, that you can't change people. like I said, it's been around since the dawn of time. if it wasn't "racism" it was "tribism." I just think that it's going to take a very long time to make real progress. I think we have chipped away at the issue, and we continue to do so, but to think that it will go away easy is naive. starting threads like this doesn't help the problem, but perhaps the dialogue will help. that's the reason for the discussion. perhaps you think I am adding to the problem. I might be, but I like to think that I am adding to the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 08:35 PM

486 posts, read 984,253 times
Yes Racism and discrimination exists for all races. No we shouldn't get over it. We should learn from one another. I think there's a direct correlation between racism and ignorance. Ignorance and unwillingness to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Growing up I was big on stereotypes. I grew up in NYC and was scared of black kids because some of my black classmates picked on me in school. I was always the smallest kid in class and they pulled my hair, made me trip, once I was almost pushed down the stairs! Racial tension between blacks and Hispanics was big in my school and I was the easiest target because of my size!!
I thought all black people were mean. Then I had an awesome black teacher in 6th grade and learned to look at people as individuals and not judge the whole race because of the actions of some. Today, some of my best friends are black, they're amazing friends and human beings and I would've never been able to befriend them if I kept my narrow minded, short sighted views.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:45 PM

715 posts, read 2,087,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Did you see any of those whites guarding voting places during the last election like you did with the black panthers carrying nightsticks infront of them this past election?

And Obama shut down the fight to have them jailed of course. But if those were the KKK members standing their with nightsticks you would be whining and complaining all day long.

My hubby already told me if he goes to vote and those panthers are going to be blocking his way to the booth like they did before that he will not only fix the problem but carry a much bigger stick!!!

If you want to see a real racist in action just watch Obama work. He is being a sneaky ****head and finding ways to screw over whites.

When you see Michelle finally go an all white kids fundraiser instead of only minority fundraisers please let me know. The community organizer in her is showing.

She is suppose to be do this for ALL children, not just minorities.

Wonder why there are so many more blacks in jail then whites that have committed crimes? And there are far less blacks to begin with?
White mans fault those people committed all those crimes?

Get real.
Haha, Your whinning about your cage being rattled over how long Obama being president?? And just how long have the KKK or other white supremacy groups been around?? funny you've lived in comfort till NOW.

How long did slavery go on for??

Did bush goto both minorities and whites fundraising events equally??

I say its about time someone gave something back to the minorities, and again it took Blacks to give it back. Like i said in previous posts, if it werent for them (Blacks + Civil rights movement) kicking doors of injustice and oppression, WE the Minorities would still be living in the days of lynching cuz you guys on the other side of the fence would'nt have done it volantarily.

And you have the ordasity to tell me to get real?? lmao, ignorrance is bliss and alive isnt it??

Old 07-11-2009, 09:04 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,095 times
Default Wipe that white skin privalige off your face.

Yes racism is rampant. If you can sense it in a look or a 'vibe'. But it does require that psychic ability. Example. Two members of approved down trodden get identical slow service someplace. The person with the gift knows it was some kind of ism that motivated the slowness and can add that resentment to his pile. While the second aggrieved will leave that establishment a little annoyed but with no group to blame it on. See how easy it would be to get the wrong idea. That second person would leave and not even know they were hate crimed. Its just not fair. Let me say it again. It's NOT FAIR that all the hated on aren't psychic. All That secret hate out there and not everyone can get in on it. But I have a possible solution. Assume that whatever happens to you, even if that something is nothing, that that white person that has done that something or nothing hates you simply because of your skin color. And no other possible reason. You'll be wrong but so what.
And if some peckerwood shouts a blatant racist name at you from a moving cement truck just assume it's Reginald Denny and remember to kill him right next time.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:05 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,163 times
Gosh, thanks for the brilliant analysis OP!

Old 07-11-2009, 09:07 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,844,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
Gosh, thanks for the brilliant analysis OP!
did you have something to add, or just trolling along?

Old 07-11-2009, 09:11 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
did you have something to add, or just trolling along?
Just learning from a master. Thank you for the highly informative thread. It does so much to improve race relations.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:19 PM

486 posts, read 984,253 times
Affirmative action is supposed to level the playing field. The minority candidate has to be as qualified if not more qualified than the white person. To address the line about the minority not working out: I can assume the person didn't work out for any number of reasons but you're making it sound like this person didn't work out because he/she wasn't white.
We can wave our arms up and down and all day long and say that we don't need affirmative action but the truth is: (unless we're exposed to other ethnic groups and know them well) most people feel comfortable with those of their own race. If it wasn't for affirmative action minorities would've never been able to explore their possibilities, get into college, be top executives, etc..
I'm not calling whites racist. Not at all, I'm just saying, as humans we tend to favor those we know. With the level of segregation that existed in the United States do you truly believe that a white executive would've chosen a black worker over an equally qualified white worker? The answer 95% of the time would be: NO.

On to your observation about president Obama, is deeply flawed. I'm sure you know he's half white, right?
He was raised by his grandmother, a white lady from Kansas. I highly doubt that because he's half black and 'looks" black, he'll turn his back on whites. I'm sorry to hear you're not willing to keep an open mind and give him a chance, but then you're the same person who hates affirmative action. It's because of comments like the one you made about our president that we still NEED affirmative action in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Racism is alive and well.

My poor white Dad got screw over by affirmative action and was a victim of racism.

Then when the minority who they gave the job to could not do the job and was a goner in no time.

Guess that worked real well.

I see nothing but whites being the victims of racism anymore and it is growing.

Sad to see this and I believe it all comes down to the election of Obama. The real racist are now out feeling like they can do whatever they want and Obama will sit on his butt and do nothing about it.

Last edited by gf1025; 07-11-2009 at 09:52 PM..

Old 07-11-2009, 09:21 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Haha, Your whinning about your cage being rattled over how long Obama being president?? And just how long have the KKK or other white supremacy groups been around?? funny you've lived in comfort till NOW.

How long did slavery go on for??

Did bush goto both minorities and whites fundraising events equally??

I say its about time someone gave something back to the minorities, and again it took Blacks to give it back. Like i said in previous posts, if it werent for them (Blacks + Civil rights movement) kicking doors of injustice and oppression, WE the Minorities would still be living in the days of lynching cuz you guys on the other side of the fence would'nt have done it volantarily.

And you have the ordasity to tell me to get real?? lmao, ignorrance is bliss and alive isnt it??
Perfect example of racism against whites. I don't think you can get much better. Plus it's audacity, not ordasity...ignorance instead of ignorrance. spelling helps your cause.

I feel kind of sorry for the complete disrespect for those people who were white and forwarded the cause of civil rights, like the freedom riders, and are completely disrespected by those who bash whites. I am glad their pain and suffering is ignored while the other brave souls are given all the credit.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:22 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,945 times
I don't believe racism is a cultural anomoly. I believe it is a human instinct. Racism and "clanning" have been going on since the beginning of humankind...it's instinctive and natural to prefer to clan with people like yourself.

There is nobody on this forum who can convince me that they have NEVER had a racist thought. Anybody who tries to claim this is lying. But racist thoughts are not necessarily "hateful". As a matter of fact, I don't even see where hate enters into the definition of racism. The definition of racism isn't "hate", it's the feeling that one race is superior to another. And while that might be arrogant and pompous, it's not necessarily hateful.

For every Black person out there who is married to another Black person, and for every White person out there who is married to another White person....tell me? Why did you marry within your own race?

The answer for most of you would be that you are more comfortable being married to somebody of your own race...and not because you're afraid of what society would think; rather, because you are more comfortable, period. And that would make you racist. But you don't see this because you think racism equates with hate. And since you don't hate people of other races, you think that renders you a non-racist. Sorry, but you're wrong.

Racism exists and that it always will. Hatred, however, is an entirely different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies