Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:01 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,997,691 times

Advertisements

Let's not forget along with global governance comes wealth redistribution.

Gore: U.S. Climate Bill Will Help Bring About 'Global Governance' | Climate Depot

Quote:
“But it is the awareness itself that will drive the change and one of the ways it will drive the change is through global governance and global agreements.” (Editor's Note: Gore makes the “global governance” comment at the 1min. 10 sec. mark in this UK Times video.)

Gore's call for “global governance” echoes former French President Jacques Chirac's call in 2000.

On November 20, 2000, then French President Chirac said during a speech at The Hague that the UN's Kyoto Protocol represented "the first component of an authentic global governance."

“For the first time, humanity is instituting a genuine instrument of global governance,” Chirac explained. “From the very earliest age, we should make environmental awareness a major theme of education and a major theme of political debate, until respect for the environment comes to be as fundamental as safeguarding our rights and freedoms. By acting together, by building this unprecedented instrument, the first component of an authentic global governance, we are working for dialogue and peace,” Chirac added.
Video of The Goracle admitting it @ 1:10.

Video: Al Gore likens fight against climate change to battle with Nazis - Times Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 09:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,583,836 times
I guess if we get global governance then Gore can force China and India to use his software to implement cap & trade in their countries.

I say why not ? Misery loves company.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:20 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,883,864 times
Why do you think most countries won't go along with it... they aren't that stupid... speaks volumes about the country and the people who just "go along with it"... there is a term for it... sheep

Old 07-11-2009, 09:32 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,288,856 times
Enough with the rampant paranoia. What is meant by "global governance" is global awareness and structural change--the way we do business and craft policy-- that acknowledges the imperative of environmental awareness on all levels and that works to ensure a healthy planet for future generations. There is no secret and nefarious super-plot among all governments to . . . what exactly? Dominate the world by environmental action?

This obsession with Al Gore is beyond ridiculous. The guy makes a movie and those who are ignorant about climate change think he's behind it. Talk about partisan neurosis.

Wealth redistribution? You mean stopping the wealthy and powerful from trashing the planet by putting restraints on their plundering activities?

Get real.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:35 PM

305 posts, read 539,755 times
And you righties say that the lefties are conspiracy theorists...

Old 07-11-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post

Wealth redistribution? You mean stopping the wealthy and powerful from trashing the planet by putting restraints on their plundering activities?

Get real.
Well would a global carbon tax on top of our cap & trade be fair ?
We are no longer the worlds #1 polluter; China took that title a few years ago.

I've got nothing against Gore. In fact I've given up on warming,cooling, whatever. If the government wants to control temperature by taxing me then so be it; there's not much I can do except go along with it.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:47 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,997,691 times
Quote:
If the government wants to control temperature by taxing me then so be it; there's not much I can do except go along with it.
Sounds like you've thrown in the towel.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Sounds like you've thrown in the towel.
Only on these forums. People do not know how to separate the science from the politics and have a decent debate.

Heck..Darwin's theory is still just a theory !

Old 07-11-2009, 10:19 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,288,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well would a global carbon tax on top of our cap & trade be fair ?
We are no longer the worlds #1 polluter; China took that title a few years ago.

I've got nothing against Gore. In fact I've given up on warming,cooling, whatever. If the government wants to control temperature by taxing me then so be it; there's not much I can do except go along with it.
Personally, I think cap & trade is a waste of time--it's far too little, too late.

We still are a major polluter. This isn't a competition. China, India and the U.S. have EACH got to stop this forward march into danger. How to make that happen is the immediate challenge. Acting like children--"I'm not gonna change if you're not gonna change"--would probably not be the best course of action.

The real reason people are so resistant to the realities of climate change--preferring to bury their head in nutty conspiracy theories--is that the reality of the damage we have done, and continue to do, to this planet is difficult to digest. Because the acknowledgment of that would be the acknowledgment of our vulnerability and culpability. And it would require a complete paradigm shift:

1) No, the planet wasn't "given to us" by some otherworldly deity for us to do with it as we wish;

2) No, the "cycle of life" is not a hierarchy: it's an interdependent pyramid of life. What affects one level affects all levels. Every single member of every ecosystem works--in perfect balance--to sustain that ecosystem. Polar bears go extinct=other species overpopulate and die of starvation=ecosystem imbalance=serious degradation of the environment and the climate. People don't "get" this because people have no ecological education. For most people, Nature is "over there"--something else, something separate--just "stuff" to be used, when needed. Which is, of course, absurd. The planet is a living organism, not some inert sphere hanging in space. All of our systems of thought, however, proceed with this idea. For example, some suggested solutions to the CO2 problem--such as injecting excess CO2 underground--reflect this massive epistemological blindness. As David Suzuki said, the whole idea is insane: we have very little knowledge about the intricacies of below-surface ecosystems, and have absolutely no idea what such an activity could do to those ecosystems, and thus the health of the planet and safety of other living organisms, including humans. Yet, our whole thought system is completely oblivious to the very real extent to which our lives are biologically interdependent with other species and how they function in the biosphere. This is why Kurt Vonnegut said that human beings were the most vicious virus to ever infect the planet. And I think he was speaking only partly metaphorically. As part of Nature, human beings have a role to play in its integrity. As with any species, if we go "rogue," threatening the health of the larger organism--in this case, Earth--that organism will work towards viability, and will eventually destroy the threatening element.

This is not news to many so-called "primitive" cultures--in North America as well as elsewhere. The Indian writer Leslie Marmon Silko, in her novel "Ceremony," as well as in her famous essay, "Landscape, History and the Pueblo Imagination," tried to explain this. The Navajo and the Hopi, too, have been warning of the dangers to come from capitalism's diseased relationship with Nature. Our culture's story of what it means to be "human" is a story that is completely separate from Nature--a story based on hierarchy, with a deity in control of all, and humans a type of god above everyone and everything else. And that's a false story. In the final analysis, we can elevate ourselves all we want--but Nature bats last. Always has and always will.

3) Yes, it is perfectly possible for humankind to destroy the planet. The chemical revolution of the 1950s was a turning point. You can't pour trillions of tons of toxins into the land and the oceans for 60 years and not expect for there to be widespread destruction. Nature is fully capable of withstanding plows, but it cannot withstand tons of "round-up" washed-off into the oceans; DDT (see Rachel Carson and "Silent Spring"); repeated and incessant uranium poisoning; drilling; mine run-offs that poison the land and water; mountain-top removal for coal (my god: cutting off the tops of mountains???); etc. It's simple common sense. The list is depressingly long. Nature has reached a tipping point.

4) In response to that tipping point, people hit an epistemological wall. A culture that has existed for 2,000 years, built on the assumption that Nature is somehow untouchable (because it belongs to God or whatever) is simply not equipped, intellectually or emotionally, to know how to deal with the realities of something called "anthropogenic climate change." And this is why there is such insistent, relentless, and even vicious resistance to those crazy "environazis." Because only somebody who's "crazy" can believe that any of this is true, right?

I highly recommend "Ishmael," by Daniel Quinn, which offers a rather entertaining deconstruction of our culture's dangerous thinking.

For a more "professional" view, see James Gustave Speth's "The Bridge at the Edge of the World."

For a "popular" version of the challenges we face, see Thomas Friedman's "Hot, Flat and Crowded." I'm not personally a Friedman fan, but folks seem to like him.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:26 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,160,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Personally, I think cap & trade is a waste of time--it's far too little, too late.

We still are a major polluter. This isn't a competition. China, India and the U.S. have EACH got to stop this forward march into danger. How to make that happen is the immediate challenge. Acting like children--"I'm not gonna change if you're not gonna change"--would probably not be the best course of action.

The real reason people are so resistant to the realities of climate change--preferring to bury their head in nutty conspiracy theories--is that the reality of the damage we have done, and continue to do, to this planet is difficult to digest. Because the acknowledgment of that would be the acknowledgment of our vulnerability and culpability. And it would require a complete paradigm shift:

1) No, the planet wasn't "given to us" by some otherworldly deity for us to do with it as we wish;

2) No, the "cycle of life" is not a hierarchy: it's an interdependent pyramid of life. What affects one level affects all levels. Every single member of every ecosystem works--in perfect balance--to sustain that ecosystem. Polar bears go extinct=other species overpopulate and die of starvation=ecosystem imbalance=serious degradation of the environment and the climate. People don't "get" this because people have no ecological education. For most people, Nature is "over there"--something else, something separate--just "stuff" to be used, when needed. Which is, of course, absurd. The planet is a living organism, not some inert sphere hanging in space. All of our systems of thought, however, proceed with this idea. For example, some suggested solutions to the CO2 problem--such as injecting excess CO2 underground--reflect this massive epistemological blindness. As David Suzuki said, the whole idea is insane: we have very little knowledge about the intricacies of below-surface ecosystems, and have absolutely no idea what such an activity could do to those ecosystems, and thus the health of the planet and safety of other living organisms, including humans. Yet, our whole thought system is completely oblivious to the very real extent to which our lives are biologically interdependent with other species and how they function in the biosphere. This is why Kurt Vonnegut said that human beings were the most vicious virus to ever infect the planet. And I think he was speaking only partly metaphorically. As part of Nature, human beings have a role to play in its integrity. As with any species, if we go "rogue," threatening the health of the larger organism--in this case, Earth--that organism will work towards viability, and will eventually destroy the threatening element.

This is not news to many so-called "primitive" cultures--in North America as well as elsewhere. The Indian writer Leslie Marmon Silko, in her novel "Ceremony," as well as in her famous essay, "Landscape, History and the Pueblo Imagination," tried to explain this. The Navajo and the Hopi, too, have been warning of the dangers to come from capitalism's diseased relationship with Nature. Our culture's story of what it means to be "human" is a story that is completely separate from Nature--a story based on hierarchy, with a deity in control of all, and humans a type of god above everyone and everything else. And that's a false story. In the final analysis, we can elevate ourselves all we want--but Nature bats last. Always has and always will.

3) Yes, it is perfectly possible for humankind to destroy the planet. The chemical revolution of the 1950s was a turning point. You can't pour trillions of tons of toxins into the land and the oceans for 60 years and not expect for there to be widespread destruction. Nature is fully capable of withstanding plows, but it cannot withstand tons of "round-up" washed-off into the oceans; DDT (see Rachel Carson and "Silent Spring"); repeated and incessant uranium poisoning; drilling; mine run-offs that poison the land and water; mountain-top removal for coal (my god: cutting off the tops of mountains???); etc. It's simple common sense. The list is depressingly long. Nature has reached a tipping point.

4) In response to that tipping point, people hit an epistemological wall. A culture that has existed for 2,000 years, built on the assumption that Nature is somehow untouchable (because it belongs to God or whatever) is simply not equipped, intellectually or emotionally, to know how to deal with the realities of something called "anthropogenic climate change." And this is why there is such insistent, relentless, and even vicious resistance to those crazy "environazis." Because only somebody who's "crazy" can believe that any of this is true, right?

I highly recommend "Ishmael," by Daniel Quinn, which offers a rather entertaining deconstruction of our culture's dangerous thinking.
Thank you,MF,well said. I personally can't understand why righties are so obsessed w/ & afraid of Al Gore,to the point of denying that our Earth is in danger. The selfish "ME ME ME" attitude has gotten us to that point. I cannot fathom why ANYONE would NOT want to get involved in preserving the earth for our children. As the mother of 4, that attitude totally ticks me off,to put it mildly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies