Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 04:28 PM

190 posts, read 650,567 times

Advertisements

so today, i bought my first pack of cigarettes in about a month. call me a part time smoker. anyways, i havent bought any since the 1 dollar tax hike. so, i noticed the pack cost 5.79 and with tax 6.20 which is pretty high.

but the point here is i paid 7% sales tax on the 1.00 dollar tax hike. how can this be? maybe they should call it the 1.07 tax hike. tax on tax? wtf? it is crazy how the gov. is taking advantage of people. the never ending taxes on everything is getting a bit ridiculous. does anyone feel the same way????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 04:07 PM

so, i guess everyone likes getting banged by the gov huh? thats nice.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:54 AM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,491,934 times
I guess its because you are "Wealthy" and able to afford luxuries like Ciggs. At least they haven't attached a "low income subsidy" to the cost to subsidize the cost for the "less fortunates"

If you are a smoker, it almost pays to grow your own tobacco.

Nav

Old 07-16-2009, 08:00 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
So now the people who are making less than $ 250K are waking up to this governments hidden agenda!

Wait for the other tax increases on the people who are making less than $ 250K...what about the huge energy bill increases that already have taken place but will go even higher up when cap and trade will be pushed through....
I guess we all have to sit in homes with the A/C on 85 F to safe a little money and guess how much your groceries will increase since the stores can't put the A/C higher otherwise we are all buying food that will be so bad....so the groceries will be much more expensive...

Welcome to the era of this government and them saying we are not going to increase you taxes, you will vote for change and keep more...did he really meant the $ 8.- per person would pay for all this...

Speak up and wake up before it is too late and more and more people will be out of a job, out of their homes since they can't pay the bills....

Old 07-16-2009, 08:12 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Wait until people actually figure out who will pay for the healthcare tax increase by hgiher prices.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:21 AM

so what happened to the boston tea party??? if we high jacked a truck and threw the cigarettes overboard to prove a point, we would get locked up for ever. no more freedom of speech, for the people by the people??? i think it's more for the good of the gov by the gov. the constitution is suppose to limit the powers of the gov. so what is going on here? it is complete madness.

it's getting pretty bad in this country. ridicules amounts of debt, and we still walk around like we are the best nation in the world. trust me, im not anti-american or anything, i just think the government is making this country pretty bad. i mean, it's getting so bad that a lot of illegal mexicans in this country have returned to mexico. i guess we are no longer the best option for them. man if canada wasn't so f-n cold, i'd be there.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:27 AM

but to quickly get back to the tax on cigarettes, when i moved here to florida back sept. 07, less then 2 years ago, ciggs. were around 3.49 a pack. now due to local and federal taxes, 5.79 or more. so that is 2.30 more a pack because of taxes. and guess what? im paying the 7% sales tax on all that.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:47 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
It's your choice to smoke.
No one is forcing it on you, you will not die if you do not smoke.
I assume that they're considering it a luxury item.

Your state tax is in addition to any other taxes, the same as with alcohol.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:52 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,037,201 times
How about the death tax? That's a double tax, too. Lots of things are taxed more than once. How about the sales tax? Didn't you already pay tax on that money you earned?

Old 07-16-2009, 10:52 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
It's your choice to smoke.
No one is forcing it on you, you will not die if you do not smoke.
I assume that they're considering it a luxury item.

Your state tax is in addition to any other taxes, the same as with alcohol.
If you don't smoke you won't die? Hmmm........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies