Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 05:49 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I guess people have forgotten about the women who had no insurance so she went to a hospital that would take her, they left her to die in the waiting room. That would not have happened, had she been covered by insurance.

It must be nice to not have to worry about insurance coverage but most of us don't have that luxury.
But if everyone had coverage, everyone would be treated the same.

We'd ALL be left to die in the waiting room.

That's not fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 05:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Strange the Sen from Texas railing against health care when close to 50% of the state has NO health care at all and that percentage is growing.

I guess he knows, he'll never face that predicament.

It's easy to shout something down that helps others, while your family will never be without health care.
You have a link for that 50% ?
Just last year it was 30% and it included the illegals.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:51 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
I'm a member of the AMA and I applaud its decision to support the bill.
The AMA is not jumping up and down with glee, they know that this bill will harm the market.

From the AMA on May 11, 2009

Quote:
The introduction of a new public plan threatens to restrict patient choice by driving out private insurers, which currently provide coverage for nearly 70 percent of Americans. In an effort to keep public plan costs low, it is likely that a public plan would receive special advantages and government subsidies that would not be available to private insurers. Rather than stimulating competition among insurers and strengthening the health insurance market overall, the competitive advantage of a public plan would be so great that many private insurers would be pushed out of the market entirely. A crowd-out of private insurers and the corresponding surge in public plan participation would likely lead to an explosion of costs that would need to be absorbed by taxpayers.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:52 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
But if everyone had coverage, everyone would be treated the same.

We'd ALL be left to die in the waiting room.

That's not fair.
Considering I've never been asked for insurance until after being seen by a doctor in the hospital, I somehow dont think the individual having, or lack of having insurance had anything to do with it..

Hell, I had to go to the hospital in October, I wasnt even asked about insurance for 24 hours after I was in my room.. And yes, I was awake and able to talk..

Old 07-16-2009, 05:58 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The AMA is not jumping up and down with glee, they know that this bill will harm the market.

Let me tell you a little secret: the AMA really doesn't care if we have a single payer or bazillions. What it cares about is that its members are paid adequately for the work they do.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:59 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Let me tell you a little secret: the AMA really doesn't care if we have a single payer or bazillions. What it cares about is that its members are paid adequately for the work they do.
LOL Then they do not want the federal government to decide what they are worth, nor do they look forward to 0bama "squeezing" them to control costs.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:03 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,345 times
Quote:
LOL Then they do not want the federal government to decide what they are worth, nor do they look forward to 0bama "squeezing" them.
Neither do they want insurance companies to decide what they are worth. The track record of insurance reimbursements under the current system leaves much to be desired.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:03 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times
What is there to fear?

You might think it is called fear but I know many in Canada who have had families who were left without the needed care and did die because of it.

Government has no business in my health care. I do not want to be just a number and flip a coin on who gets a transplant or an operation like socialized healthcare is.

Wait in line and we will see if you are important enough to spend the money.

It was Obama who said that if you are sick and old to just give them a pain pill. What he did not say was the fact that if you are old and ill the hell with you we are not going to spend the money on you.

Left Wing is the fear mongering party on this issue, they are trying to get something past that does not work and will only make things worse. But to hear libs tell it is it a must have when it is not.

France and Canada tried it and both show it is an utter failure. We do not want it and we need to move on to other important issues then this piece of crap idea.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:

The introduction of a new public plan threatens to restrict patient choice by driving out private insurers, which currently provide coverage for nearly 70 percent of Americans. In an effort to keep public plan costs low, it is likely that a public plan would receive special advantages and government subsidies that would not be available to private insurers. Rather than stimulating competition among insurers and strengthening the health insurance market overall, the competitive advantage of a public plan would be so great that many private insurers would be pushed out of the market entirely. A crowd-out of private insurers and the corresponding surge in public plan participation would likely lead to an explosion of costs that would need to be absorbed by taxpayers.
It would seem opinions have changed in the last two months. ndfmnlf is correct; docs want to get paid. They don't want to do "charity" care, and rightly so.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Considering I've never been asked for insurance until after being seen by a doctor in the hospital, I somehow dont think the individual having, or lack of having insurance had anything to do with it..

Hell, I had to go to the hospital in October, I wasnt even asked about insurance for 24 hours after I was in my room.. And yes, I was awake and able to talk..
We ask our patients to present their insurance cards each and every time they come to the office, even if they were just there the day before. We'll sometimes let someone slide if they give a good sob story, but we have started to tighten up on that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies