Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:02 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times

Advertisements

Politico says,
[CBO: the] health care bill would increase the federal deficit by $239 billion over the next 10 years.
goes on to say,
But [the above projection doesnt] don't account for a $245 billion reduction in the deficit this legislation would create, if Democrats can also approve new balanced budget rules that would permanently address an annual shortfall in Medicare payments to physicians. Democrats may also defend the cost of their bill by pointing out that in the long run, under new accounting rules, the bill would generate a $6 billion surplus.
"new balanced budget rules"/"new accounting rules" sounds sinister but it's PAYGO, pay as you go. There's Nancy's $6 billion surplus. Okay.
The legislation introduced in the House makes changes to existing Medicare programs that would save the federal government $219 billion over the next 10 years, according to the CBO estimates.
In the bill, Democrats provide $245 billion to eliminate an annual shortfall in payments to doctors under Medicare. Democrats resolved this annual headache, in large part, to win crucial support for the bill from the American Medical Association. That money currently counts against the overall costs of the bill, but Democrats have introduced legislation that would remove remove this obligation from federal deficit. However, CBO won't recognize that change until those new pay-as-you-go rules become law.
so it depends on PAYGO passing.

so let's hope PAYGO passes, shall we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 08:08 AM

639 posts, read 1,142,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"Delivery reforms"?

Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

In the old days we simply called it rationed and denied care.

Deficit neutral huh? Will it also be tax neutral?

See, the thing is I like Blue Cross. I don't want it to go away so that Democras can make me and other hard-working Americans beholding to the government. If I don't like my insurance, I can change it. If my employer doesn't offer the insurance I like, I can change him. It's really up to me and I like it that way.
Yes my friend....you are correct.....but you have to have a job to switch jobs. There are so many people in America today who have become accustomed t sitting on their arses and letting the ever decreasing majority support them. The "Government is Good" crowd will kill this country. I'm hoping America is beginning to wake up from its' delusional slumber to do what needs to be done in 2010.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:16 AM

Oh God, Blue Cross isnt going anywhere. For a nonprofit, their execs certainly have managed to make out all right.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:18 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Politico says,
[CBO: the] health care bill would increase the federal deficit by $239 billion over the next 10 years.
goes on to say,
But [the above projection doesnt] don't account for a $245 billion reduction in the deficit this legislation would create, if Democrats can also approve new balanced budget rules that would permanently address an annual shortfall in Medicare payments to physicians. Democrats may also defend the cost of their bill by pointing out that in the long run, under new accounting rules, the bill would generate a $6 billion surplus.
"new balanced budget rules"/"new accounting rules" sounds sinister but it's PAYGO, pay as you go. There's Nancy's $6 billion surplus. Okay.
The legislation introduced in the House makes changes to existing Medicare programs that would save the federal government $219 billion over the next 10 years, according to the CBO estimates.
In the bill, Democrats provide $245 billion to eliminate an annual shortfall in payments to doctors under Medicare. Democrats resolved this annual headache, in large part, to win crucial support for the bill from the American Medical Association. That money currently counts against the overall costs of the bill, but Democrats have introduced legislation that would remove remove this obligation from federal deficit. However, CBO won't recognize that change until those new pay-as-you-go rules become law.
so it depends on PAYGO passing.

so let's hope PAYGO passes, shall we?
If they did this if they did that. The reality is the way the world is today it would produce a deficit. Heck if they didn't go down this road there would be zero added to the deficit.

As te old saying goes if frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their asses.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:19 AM

639 posts, read 1,142,954 times
Now that you have promised that, I feel 100% better. I am now a supporter of National Health Care. See how easy that was..........

Old 07-19-2009, 08:24 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,790 times
Here's your status quo revenue nuetral.
Report: Health care costs to rise 9% in 2010 - USATODAY.com

That's the same as a 90 dollar a month tax to the insurance companies if we do nothing.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:28 AM

"Costs will rise in part because workers worried about losing their jobs are using their health care more while they still have it, the firm said in the report released to the Associated Press. The report also said rising unemployment is driving up medical costs.

"Health care reform legislation currently being hashed out in Congress likely will have little impact on next year's costs, said PWC Principal Michael Thompson. But he noted that the intense focus on health care may slow price increases."

Old 07-19-2009, 08:29 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
Here's your status quo revenue nuetral.

That's the same as a 90 dollar a month tax to the insurance companies if we do nothing.
Umm are you saying insurance company fees went up 9% or HEALTHCARE costs went up 9%. Sheesh read your own link.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:36 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Umm are you saying insurance company fees went up 9% or HEALTHCARE costs went up 9%. Sheesh read your own link.
Why don't you read the story they're talking about cost to employers. That would say to me insurance companies.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
If they did this if they did that. The reality is the way the world is today it would produce a deficit. Heck if they didn't go down this road there would be zero added to the deficit.

As te old saying goes if frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their asses.
I remember that, from Raising Arizona.

PAYGO is a good idea though dont you agree? Pay as you go? Stop borrowing? Dont buy it if you cant afford it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies