Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the health care protests getting out of hand?
Yes 42 53.16%
No 34 43.04%
Maybe 3 3.80%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:03 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times

Advertisements

I am opposed to the healthcare reform legislation. That said, I think the protests are getting way out of hand (along with the misleading information and complete lies being circulated, but that's a different subject).

What do you think?

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 08-07-2009 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 11:21 AM

700 posts, read 638,299 times
I voted yes. These protest have become nothing more than disruptions. They merely foster resentment and make reasonable debate on the issue of health care reform impossible. The republican party needs to spend more time outlining a counter proposal to Obama's health care reform bill and less time trumpeting this fairytale about having "the best health care system in the world" that should be left alone.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:25 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5trillion View Post
I voted yes. These protest have become nothing more than disruptions. They merely foster resentment and make reasonable debate on the issue of health care reform impossible. The republican party needs to spend more time outlining a counter proposal to Obama's health care reform bill and less time trumpeting this fairytale about having "the best health care system in the world" that should be left alone.

Yup

Old 08-07-2009, 11:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
The decisions have been made and no town hall will change them. This will go down like Cap&Trade; once the Dems have enough votes they'll just buy or strongarm the rest and put this to bed.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:36 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,997,351 times
Yes.

What really bothers me is how reporters have been covering these town hall meetings.

How come reporters aren't bringing up the fact that lobbying firms like Dick Armey's FreedomWorks that represent pharmaceutical companies and life insurance companies are sending these protesters to the town hall meetings.

Most of these protesters don't even realize they are simply pawns for people like Armey and those that run the pharmaceutical & insurance game.

Those on the right may claim everyone on the left are just a bunch of sheep, but they fail to realize that they are doing to dirty work for millionaires.

Truly a sad day for those of us that want reform from lobbyists and PAC's.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:58 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,854 times
Ordinarily, I like it when people protest something, simply because it (usually) shows that people care, and there's enough apathy in the world.

But from what I've read and from what I've seen about the current wave of protests at town hall meetings, I felt compelled to answer "yes", they are getting out of hand.

There are many aspects of the protests I dislike, but the kicker for me is that I don't see any indication that the people doing the protesting truly know what it is that they are protesting.

There was one video clip with a bunch of seniors yelling that they didn't want the government taking over health care. Disregarding my belief that H.R. 3200 does NOT mean government-run health care, don't these seniors know enough about the current state of health care to understand that Medicare is government-run health care?

I'm all in favor of protest, but informed protest. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of noise.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:03 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,235,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I am opposed to the healthcare reform legislation. That said, I think the protests are getting way out of hand (along with the misleading information and complete lies being circulated, but that's a different subject).

What do you think?
Then I'll assume you'll refuse Medicare when you retire? Do you think we can continue to feed the insurance companies, see more people die without insurance or not go to the doctor because they can't afford to, even with insurance? Do you feel comfortable knowing a few elite people make millions and billions off your healthcare? Are you comfortable with the vicious cycle in this country where the drug companies advertise and get more people hooked on prescription drugs which in turn lines the pockets of the insurance companies, and then ambulance chaser lawyers get rich suing the drug companies for killing people with their drugs? Or are you just ignorant on this issue?

Old 08-07-2009, 12:04 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,235,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
Yes.

What really bothers me is how reporters have been covering these town hall meetings.

How come reporters aren't bringing up the fact that lobbying firms like Dick Armey's FreedomWorks that represent pharmaceutical companies and life insurance companies are sending these protesters to the town hall meetings.

Most of these protesters don't even realize they are simply pawns for people like Armey and those that run the pharmaceutical & insurance game.

Those on the right may claim everyone on the left are just a bunch of sheep, but they fail to realize that they are doing to dirty work for millionaires.

Truly a sad day for those of us that want reform from lobbyists and PAC's.
EXACTLY! When will this be reported? Or are the news networks already bought off by these bastards? God knows they can afford to buy off whoever they need to.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:11 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
Ummm... because it isn't true?

Granted, that hasn't stopped reporters in the past, who keep saying that these bills in Congress will somehow improve health care when there's no indication ina any of the bills that will happen. Reporting falsehoods doesn't seem to bother them in those cases.

Or were you about to become the first leftist in history to actually present some EVIDENCE that these sinister companies are "sending" people who otherwise wouldn't have gone to these Townhall meetings?

Back to the subject: Are the health care protests getting out of hand?

Well, that depends on your point of view.

Several leftist congressmen and organizers have said that the crowd is "out of control". To the extent that these leftists wanted to control them, I guess that's true.

Just think... people who don't like the government taking over Health Care, are actually showing up at their Congressmen's invitation, and SAYING SO!!! And when the Congressmen try to soothe them with lies and talking points, they get interrupted!!!

They are having the hardest time, controlling the ordinary citizens of their districts. You know, the ones these Congressmen supposedly work for.

How out of hand can you get????

I ask you!

Old 08-07-2009, 12:12 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
So let's throw all the insurance companies out and close them down. They are learning most people like the insurance they have and do not want a beaurocrat instead of their doctor treating them for an illness. I don't care if some make money in the health or insurance industry. People only care about their good and timely care. Not a slow acting government program that has always been proven to be worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies