Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 04:38 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times

Advertisements

Our last Dem president took the time to define the word "is" for all of America.

Perhaps this one can take the time to explain how the "ly" at the end of a word, changes that word to not mean what it means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 04:42 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Our last Dem president took the time to define the word "is" for all of America.

Perhaps this one can take the time to explain how the "ly" at the end of a word, changes that word to not mean what it means.
Its really simple if English is your first language. To do something stupidly means that one action was done in an unintelligible way. To be stupid is to to be unintelligible.

Your response will tell us if you just posted stupidLY, or if you are a stupid poster

Old 07-24-2009, 05:04 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
lets try this again...lets see if you can spot the differance

You are stupid

You acted stupidly.
A distinction with very little difference.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
A distinction with very little difference.
So you wouldn't feel that different if someone said you did one thing stupidly, or if you were a stupid person? Cuz that is the exact difference, and it is a big one.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:18 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,154,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
Except the cambridge police DID act stupidly... which is why THEY dropped THEIR case against Gates... I really don't see whats so hard to understand about this.
That's not even remotely accurate.

Professor Gates Goodfellow was asked for his ID. His immediate reaction to the request for ID, was to play the Race Card in a belligerent and obnoxious manner.

Despite Obama's ill-advised assumption and claim in the press conference (see video up above), Professor Gates Goodfellow did NOT immediately provide the officer with his ID. His immediate reaction was to play the Race Card in a belligerent and obnoxious manner. Get it?

And Professor Gates Goodfellow continued to be belligerent and obnoxious through out the whole interaction with the Police.

THAT is why they arrested him.

I have been through this exact scenario, myself.

The fact is this. If you forget your keys and you are left no other choice than to break into your own house; your neighbors......in the dark of night, may not be able to properly identify you from their distance. So in an attempt to protect you and your home, they will call the Police.

If you are breaking into your home because YOU forgot your own keys, you have to expect that YOU may call attention to yourself; with your neighbors and that a Police Officer may be dispatched to your home, if your neighbors have difficulty identifying you from their distance.

The only reasonable, rational and mature thing to do.....is to politely provide the Police with your Identification, while politely explaining what occured and why you had to break into your own home.

That's exactly what I did when I absent-mindedly forgot my keys and had to climb into a side bathroom window, to get in my house.

The police were cautious, but polite. They asked for my ID and I immediately provided them with it. I even walked out to my front yard, with the cops; where my slightly up the street neighbors had gathered to see what was going on. Once I went out there, they realized it was me and told the police "Yeah, he lives there" and apologized to me for calling the police. She said she couldn't tell from the distance who it was that was climbing into my bathroom window. So to play it safe, she called the Police.

Which I thanked her for and told her not to apologize. I told her I was glad she called the Police and that I would want her to do the same exact thing, again. If she ever saw someone breaking into the house.

There was no big whoopie-doo over it. No one was angry. No one was belligerent or obnoxious. And certainly I didn't stand out on my front porch screaming bloody violation of my rights...crap.

I was glad my neighbors called the police. It made me feel safer knowing my neighbors had an eye out.

But you see, I had no agenda in pre-disposition. So my situation was ultimately much more boring and unnews-worthy; than that of Professor Gates Goodfellow.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:19 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
We've come to expect open in-your-face lies from all in the hussein obama administration.
I voted for obama, but I am now very sorry I did. Please accept my apologies.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:23 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default if you listened....

What struck me was his statement that, 'we don't know what role race played......."

Would have expected him to say, 'we don't know if race played a role.....'

The world's greatest orator, a lawyer by training, uses words as his tools. It is not likely he ever inadvertantly mis speaks. The first statement trumps the, 'police acted stupidly' comment.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
That's not even remotely accurate.

Your story was remotely accurate, except you changed one detail in yours that was different from Gate's. He didn't have to break into his house, there was no forced entry. Therefor the only thing the police had to go on, was a phone call. That is not enough to enter a man's house uninvited, which the police did. I even said that Gates acted in a foolish way, but its his right to act foolishly. The officer had no right and no jurisdiction to come into Gates house, whether you think they should have or not is irrelevant, because the law says no.

Not to mention, the police report and Gates stories don't match up, and seeing as how the report was written by the officer in question, theres a huge conflict of interest. It is now just his word against his word.

You're welcome for the enlightenment.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
What struck me was his statement that, 'we don't know what role race played......."

Would have expected him to say, 'we don't know if race played a role.....'

The world's greatest orator, a lawyer by training, uses words as his tools. It is not likely he ever inadvertantly mis speaks. The first statement trumps the, 'police acted stupidly' comment.
Well seeing as how race definitely played a roll, seeing as how thats why Gates got upset, it makes sense he said "what". It either played the roll of a racist white cop harassing a black man, or a racist black man freaking out over being questioned by a white cop. Or both.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:29 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Now Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs says that Obama didn't say what he said.

"Let me be clear, he was not calling the officer stupid," Gibbs told reporters.....

What Obama actually said was: "Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody....".

Ummm... Yes, he DID call the police officer stupid. Only one officer arrested the man. Or was Obama referring to the meter reader outside?

And people wonder why fewer and fewer people believe what Obama (or his minions) say?

White House qualifies Obama remark about arrest
The White House doesn't kepp them self to trnasparency as they had promissed....constantly is defending either Biden or Obama for things they have said but meant in a different way....

I wonder how long before Obama is not giving any or way less press conferences anymore...he will chicken out and he is losing his "cool and koolaid"....I was already waiting till this was going to happen, the man is capable to speak without a teleprompter in front of him and too much of anything .....

According to Obama the economy is doing so much better...well I haven't studied economy but even I can understand that if companies lay off pople andcut costs that they will make more money than before and that is what is happening right now...with the minimum salary gone up, the small businesses won't start to hire until they really need to, with the threat of Obama's health scare they will even wait longer....with cap and trade taxes around the corner, they will wait longer.....so how well is the economy doing?

Maybe we should ask the people who lost their job in the last few months and btw the people who run out of unemployment benefits, they are not even counted towards the unemployment number!

I wonder how many people will vote for him again...but maybe they are emberassed to admit they made a mistake....don't worry many people even the smartest, well almost the smartest can make mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies