Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 02:00 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
LOL. Rep for that one.
Wow, you really are easily amused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 02:10 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I'll give you the bold one (it's entirely conceivable that the DA knew the cop was wrong to arrest Gates, and didn't want to file charges).

Please support any of the other scenarios with some evidence.
And it was equally as possible the DA knew they were right and chose not to escalate it. Happens all the time. Gates got his cooling off period and was sent home. End of story.

My "evidence" is my first-hand, professional knowledge of how law enforcement, the law itself and the courts work which I dare say trumps any "evidence" you may have to the contrary.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:13 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Now Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs says that Obama didn't say what he said.

"Let me be clear, he was not calling the officer stupid," Gibbs told reporters.....

What Obama actually said was: "Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody....".

Ummm... Yes, he DID call the police officer stupid. Only one officer arrested the man. Or was Obama referring to the meter reader outside?

And people wonder why fewer and fewer people believe what Obama (or his minions) say?

White House qualifies Obama remark about arrest
In the very quotes you use, it's clear Obama didn't call the officer stupid.

Saying the police acted stupidly is not calling someone stupid.

One can act stupidly by touching a hot stove, but that person is not implicitly stupid. Just a single stupid act.

Next fake controversy.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:14 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
You're still ignoring the undisputable fact that Obama prefaced his comments by saying that he did not know all the particulars of the incident.
One of the particulars he should have known to use the word stupid, in any form, would be at just what point did Gates get loud, and I am sure he did just that. When did Dr. Gates play the race card, and I am sure he did that too. Obama crapped and stepped back in it and then Gibbs tried to cover the incident up.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:19 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
One of the particulars he should have known to use the word stupid, in any form, would be at just what point did Gates get loud, and I am sure he did just that. When did Dr. Gates play the race card, and I am sure he did that too. Obama crapped and stepped back in it and then Gibbs tried to cover the incident up.
Your post makes not one little bit of sense on any level.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I'll give you the bold one (it's entirely conceivable that the DA knew the cop was wrong to arrest Gates, and didn't want to file charges).

Please support any of the other scenarios with some evidence.
I see that you don't live in the same world I do. Who you know is very important quite often and in this case the arrested man is a friend of the President of the US. I don't think that saved him but he knows many people because of his place in society, especially in Cambridge.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Maybe the teleprompter said the police acted stupidly....no wait, Obama wasn't using one this time.

See what happens?!!!
Him looking straight ahead and never to either side was so out of character that I decided he had something there to keep him on the straight and narrow.

The funniest thing about this is that he has been telling largely the same story for nearly two weeks, at least once each day, except for the stupidly words and this morning I got to hear him make the same speech to a group of people in Cleveland, Oh. on Fox. Does this man know that nearly 90% of Americans are more concerned about "fixing" the economy than about health care reform. Why can't he just back down on this, his primary target from the campaign days? I think he doesn't know the campaign ended nearly 9 months ago.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:28 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Maybe the teleprompter said the police acted stupidly....no wait, Obama wasn't using one this time.

See what happens?!!!
OMG a Righty who actually admits that Obama said "acted stupidly" instead of calling the officer stupid! Thank you for proving our point and going against your brethren's smearing!

Old 07-23-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Wasn't there another president recently that invaded another country because he irrefutably said they had weapons of mass destruction...then when asked about it some time later told the interviewer that they misunderstood him and that was not what he said? Even after they showed the clip where he said it.

It's a bit hypocritical to go nuts over something like this when ignoring that.

Both people were belligerent idiots in the situation, a mismatch of personalities. Move along.
I really thought that your story happened about 2 or 3 years ago and the present deal happened last night. I guess some people will never stop this kind of comparison. Hell, I even do it.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:32 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,153,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Now Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs says that Obama didn't say what he said.

"Let me be clear, he was not calling the officer stupid," Gibbs told reporters.....

What Obama actually said was: "Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody....".

Ummm... Yes, he DID call the police officer stupid. Only one officer arrested the man. Or was Obama referring to the meter reader outside?

And people wonder why fewer and fewer people believe what Obama (or his minions) say?

White House qualifies Obama remark about arrest
I think Obama was extremely premature, shortsighted and foolish to comment on that situation. He didn't have all the facts and he felt the need to make stern comments and criticisms of the Police Officer and drop the race card. Very foolish and rather biased of him.

Having said that, I don't believe saying someone did something stupid....or acted stupidly in a certain, specific situation; is the same as calling someone all together stupid.

Sometimes people who are not stupid, do stupid things in certain situations(like Obama speaking out publically about this incident and playing the race card, before gathering all the facts).

In all honesty I don't know what exactly happened there. I wasn't there. And there are conflicting accounts of the incident from Professor Goodfellow and the Police Officer.

But allegedly there were witnesses who saw the whole thing unravel and from what I hear, the witnesses testimonies support the Police Officer report and account. Not Professor Goodfellow's account of the incident.

Should be intersting to see how this case developes and who's telling the truth.

Obama should really learn to keep his trap shut more often. He talks way too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies