Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 10:06 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times

Advertisements

"POLITICO has learned that Rep. Parker Griffith, a freshman Democrat from Alabama, will announce today that he’s switching parties to become a Republican. According to two senior GOP aides familiar with the decision, the announcement will take place this afternoon in Griffith's district in northern Alabama. "

Exclusive: Rep. Parker Griffith switches to GOP - - POLITICO.com

Who's next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 10:09 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Obama ? His career is limited if he stays with his current party.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:26 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,048,783 times
Yep... a true politician.

Coming to us from the medical profession, he is a perfect example of the reason why most enter politics - to pad their own pockets...

And, his record of not voting for the stimulus bill simply proves his lack of education regarding the economics that caused the Great Depression.

I'm sure he won't be missed.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:53 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Obama ? His career is limited if he stays with his current party.
I heard 0bama is frustrated with all the attacks from the left, that he is too far right. So he tried to switch parties too. However, just like meeting he had in Copenhagen, the RNC was not expecting him, did not have a chair for 0bama to sit in, so Steel handed 0bama his hat and showed him the door.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:00 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,193,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post

Coming to us from the medical profession, he is a perfect example of the reason why most enter politics - to pad their own pockets...

And, his record of not voting for the stimulus bill simply proves his lack of education regarding the economics that caused the Great Depression.

I'm thinking you don't know too much about him...he has expressed dislike of the current dem leadership since before he was elected. I wondered why he didn't just give it up and run as a Republican in the first place...he positions were more in line with theirs than the dems in the first place.

...his vote reflected what the people of his district wanted, so I guess if you desire you can criticize his district for not having the economic understanding you do.

...and in his district, the R after his name will probably help. But who knows? Many people don't like folks that often swaps side.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:10 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,048,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
I'm thinking you don't know too much about him...he has expressed dislike of the current dem leadership since before he was elected. I wondered why he didn't just give it up and run as a Republican in the first place...he positions were more in line with theirs than the dems in the first place.

...his vote reflected what the people of his district wanted, so I guess if you desire you can criticize his district for not having the economic understanding you do.

...and in his district, the R after his name will probably help. But who knows? Many people don't like folks that often swaps side.
You're right. I'm not from Alabama. I just read the article attached to this thread and formed an opinion based upon his record.

So, he ran democratic to get elected even though he really didn't agree with the Democratic party. The article states that "Griffith, who captured the seat in a close 2008 open seat contest, will become the first Republican to hold the historically Democratic, Huntsville-based district."

From what I read, the things he stands for are not what the democratic party believes. Do you think that he didn't already knew how he felt about health care reform, and financial regulatory issues before he chose to run on the Democratic ticket ?

Are you saying that the article is not a fair assessment of him???

Old 12-22-2009, 11:15 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,570,586 times
gee is this a surprise! A DINO (Democrat In Name Only) from Alabamy! What is the difference between a Democrat & a Republican from Alabama? The letter "D" !

Old 12-22-2009, 11:22 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,055,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
gee is this a surprise! A DINO (Democrat In Name Only) from Alabamy! What is the difference between a Democrat & a Republican from Alabama? The letter "D" !
Thats pretty much the case everywhere.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:23 AM

519 posts, read 688,981 times
I don't generally agree with switching parties mid-stream. Afterall, the electorate that put person in office should be able to rely on their elected official.

With that being said, I can see why someone would want to leave the Democratic Party. Who wants to stand for a caucus with no principle? It's not like Democrats listened to the majority of people on healthcare. Who needs enemies when you have Democrats by your side?

Old 12-22-2009, 11:40 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,823,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post

Right, it couldn't be because Obama has failed to be the bi-partisan messiah that he claimed to be, he can't even unite his own party. Meanwhile, the MSM conducts the biggest smear campaign in history so their masters can get a healthcare bill passed that more than 60% of America DOES NOT WANT. Look at what the propaganda machine has done to Joe Lieberman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mHhTFmRiaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9e_8jjF6dM

It couldn't be the fact that the super duper Copenhagen climate summit has fallen to shambles. India and China have both literally WALKED OUT of the meetings, and even the UK is criticizing Obama now. Meanwhile, it seems every week there is a new scandal concerning the facts on climate change, which more than 30% of America thinks is total bs.

Breaking news: India, China walk out of climate summit: Report - dnaindia.com

Barack Obama's speech disappoints and fuels frustration at Copenhagen | Environment | guardian.co.uk

It couldn't be that approval ratings for the President, Congress, and the Senate are some of the lowest percentages ever.
FOXNews.com - Obama's 47 Percent Approval Lowest of Any President at This Point

Approval of U.S. Congress Essentially Flat, at 25%

It couldn't be that the man that was supposed to end partisanship and hypocrisy in Washington has simultaneously sent 30,000 more troops to the Middle East AND THEN accepted the Nobel Peace Prize.

War sometimes justified, Obama says in Nobel Peace Prize speech - CNN.com

It couldn't be that over 10% of this country don't have jobs, and are getting their homes foreclosed on. Unemployment is low on the agenda list for Obama though, we need to get that climate bill passed before carbon makes the world explode.

It couldn't be that in under a year, Obama's broken promises, lies, and total deception of the American public has led to the biggest third party movement in this nation's history.

Tea Party movement threatened by internal rifts - CNN.com

It couldn't be any of that, right?

The Democratic Party is doing just fine, Rep. Griffith is obviously out of his mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies