Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 05:32 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"born with disorders/illnesses such as epilepsy, diabetes, lupus,"

Everyone of them can apply and get free medical care right now as long as they cannot work. Medicaid...
So people with these diseases have the "choice" of:
1) being a bum and not working in order to qualify for Medicaid
or
2) working and having a life -and not qualify for Medicaid with the added bonus of being denied heath insurance because they have a pre-existing condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 05:32 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:

Everyone of them can apply and get free medical care right now as long as they cannot work. Medicaid...
Medicaid is by far the most misserable coverage anyone can get, absolutely abysmal. After all you don't want to encourage the bums, do you? However, HMOs are not far behind, not very far behind at all.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:36 PM

134 posts, read 231,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
1. Freedom to choose what's in your plan

2. Freedom to be rewarded for healthy living, or pay your real costs

3. Freedom to choose high-deductible coverage

4. Freedom to keep your existing plan

5. Freedom to choose your doctors

And that's just the beginning to this gubmint takeover scheme.

The things you find on CNN these days.
You'll lose 5 key freedoms under Obama's health care plan - Jul. 24, 2009

I do not want to be part of any HMO type of system. I CHOOSE PPO and the higher rates because I want the freedom of choice. If Obama's plan is going to take that away, I am now against his healthcare reform bill.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:42 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,703,371 times
Quote:

Exactly my point. Thank you for reiterating it.

As long as they live in poverty, they can get medical care. Otherwise, if they want to have a job and provide a life for themselves and their families, they must pay the oftentimes thousands of dollars a month for their out-of-pocket costs since they cannot obtain medical insurance, due to pre-existing conditions. So, as I said before, their choices are to have a job and live in poverty due to their exhorbitant medical expenses, to not have a job and live in poverty but get Medicaid coverage, or to forego medical care altogether because they need to work but they are unable to obtain medical insurance due to pre-existing conditions and they are unable to afford to pay for their medical care. Through no fault of their own, the current system sentences them to lives of poverty and/or illness, even though a public option would solve their plight and quite literally save their lives and livelihoods.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:43 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Side Houston View Post
I do not want to be part of any HMO type of system. I CHOOSE PPO and the higher rates because I want the freedom of choice.
What if you choose wrong? You or a member of your family suffers or dies because it's not covered? "Sorry honey, I chose wrong, it's not covered."

Old 07-27-2009, 05:50 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Try to imagine how you would feel about losing these "freedoms" if you don't have them in the first place. I don't have any insurance right now and am not likely to get any. I'd love to "lose" these freedoms if it meant I could have some health care coverage.
I'm currently uninsured and I am FLATLY AGAINST any form of government run/managed/whatever health care.

Don't you guys get it? Everything the government touches, with the exception of our military which is the best in the world, gets completely destroyed! You're pushing for the same entity that gave us Amtrack to be in charge of your health care!

Wise up! Sucker!

Old 07-27-2009, 05:53 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,703,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
What if you choose wrong? You or a member of your family suffers or dies because it's not covered? "Sorry honey, I chose wrong, it's not covered."
You see, Gary, they've never been in situations where that's happened to them, so they don't believe it's possible, or they're willing to take the risk. Unfortunately for many of us and our families, it has happened, and we realize the risk is not worthwhile. The current system is unbelievably flawed. Some people just choose not to acknowledge it, because everything looks green on their side of the fence, and they don't want to be inconvenienced for the sake of their fellow citizens' health and well-being.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:23 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchcock View Post
So you are ok with paying tax for overseas aid or the illegal immigrants, just as long as it doesn't help other Americans, Gotchya!

Don't know where you invented that from but if it makes you sleep better, be my guest Tonto.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:38 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Excuse me? My piece of their property? I paid for the unemployment compensation people are getting. I paid my taxes and did all the right things. Bought a house, saved for retirement, did not live above my means. Lost much of my investments and my house is worth 75% of what it once was. I bought it 15 years ago. I worked for 35 years full time. I had insurance all that time. Then, through no fault of my own, I had to retire. Got Cobra for 18 months and then nothing. I cannot afford the private health insurance out there. I'm 59 years old and have pre-existing conditions. How dare you tell me I'm wanting to take their property. At least they have insurance.

You said:
"I'd love to "lose" these freedoms if it meant I could have some health care coverage."

In other words you are OK with everyone losing freedoms if it meant that you would have more.

If that's what you mean, I stand by what I said, if not, maybe you should choose a better way to say it.

I'm sorry for your situation and I've said in many other threads that our insurance system needs fixing just not a gubmint takeover scheme.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:49 PM

46 posts, read 60,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
You said:
I'm sorry for your situation and I've said in many other threads that our insurance system needs fixing just not a gubmint takeover scheme.
Where do you think this "fixing" will come from? The obscenely profitable insurance companies? I really don't think the "gubmint" as you call it, could be any less fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies