Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,198,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Ditto. I actually come from a Republican family that has several members who were in politics. I could vote for a Repub. with brains. I'd have voted for McCain if it hadn't been for Sarah.
My husband is an Independent who used to really like McCain. After he picked Palin he just couldn't bring himself to vote for them. He was very disappointed in McCain.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I personally thought that the 2008 election would have been closer had Mitt Romney won the Republican nomination.

The day that McCain selected Palin as is running mate was the day he lost his campaign (and the respect of most undecideds)
Apparently his Mormonism turned off some people. Most of us westerners don't care, but a lot of easterners and midwesterners think "they" are the anti-Christ.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:15 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,221,036 times
Quote:
I stated that you were wrong for assuming that I am not able to see both sides.

ETA: The current strategy of the Republican party completely alienates someone like me who would listen openly to the message of an intelligent Republican candidate
I feel the same way about both the Democrats and Republicans, but I don't feel alienated from neither.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Ditto. I actually come from a Republican family that has several members who were in politics. I could vote for a Repub. with brains. I'd have voted for McCain if it hadn't been for Sarah.
But the elections have been over for awhile now. Wasn't Obama's inauguration a few months ago? Stop living in the past, and look at the future.

Back when Reagan ran for president, and then won, he was constantly called all sorts of names by his political enemies. In those years, up to Bill Clinton's second term, I voted Democrat along the rest of the sheep, so don't believe for a minute that I am making things up about Reagan. But he was just a dumb actor, and a lot of worst things, at least according to those who didn't like him.

It took me years to realize I had been wrong about a lot of presidents, including Reagan, but only because I later understood how the news media works, and how dirty politics are. It's worst nowadays when people can spread all kinds of rumors and pass it as news on the Internet.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:33 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,037,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
But the elections have been over for awhile now. Wasn't Obama's inauguration a few months ago? Stop living in the past, and look at the future.

Back when Reagan ran for president, and then won, he was constantly called all sorts of names by his political enemies. In those years, up to Bill Clinton's second term, I voted Democrat along the rest of the sheep, so don't believe for a minute that I am making things up about Reagan. But he was just a dumb actor, and a lot of worst things, at least according to those who didn't like him.

It took me years to realize I had been wrong about a lot of presidents, including Reagan, but only because I later understood how the news media works, and how dirty politics are. It's worst nowadays when people can spread all kinds of rumors and pass it as news on the Internet.
good post and so true

Old 07-28-2009, 11:37 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,293,378 times
there is normal dumb than beyond normal dumb followed by really dumb and than there is the GOP and Palin...no comment dumb, just shake your head and walk away dumb.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
there is normal dumb than beyond normal dumb followed by really dumb and than there is the GOP and Palin...no comment dumb, just shake your head and walk away dumb.
Well, I am not a Republican, but I can only assume that Republicans feel the opposite of you. See...as a Democrat, or whatever your political views are, you believe that it's you who is smart, not another. This is a human emotion that's quite normal, and every one of us experiences every now and then throughout our lives.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:09 AM

609 posts, read 2,119,262 times
After reading every post in this thread a couple of things have become very obvious.
People are either left or right or center, trying to convince others to believe their point of view.
I think a lot of people need to step back and decide what is best for our country, regardless of race, gender, party or religion.
I also feel that according to the candidate options or lack of options is because a lot of good people have opted not to get into politics for various reasons, ie, corruption, political elitism among others, and therefore have limited our choices.
I only want what is good for America and all of its citizens.
Enough for the soap box.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:11 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,408,814 times
Quote:
I have been trying, for the life of me, to figure out exactly how the Republican powers that be can actually look at Sarah Palin as a serious candidate for 2012.

Is this some sort of old Republican frat boy prank? Or are they simply planning on using her as a sort of puppet regime should she be elected....heaven forbid!

The last thing that America needs is a President who couldn't locate Afghanistan on a map(or spell it) if her life depended on it. Or worse yet, one who would simply quit in the middle of her term because "those nasty reporters just won't stop writtin' stuff 'bout the family".

I have yet to hear her utter an intelligent sentence...about anything.

I have heard numerous Republican talking heads speak about her as if she was the Virgin Mary/Margaret Thatcher/a female Ronald Reagan And the followers of these talking heads are dumb enough to agree.

For the sake of the country, please just let her go away.

Who are you kiddling? The young, first-time voters who put BO in the White House have the most accute case of buyers remorse I've ever seem. And who can blame them? Quadrupled Bush's deficits as far as the eye can see. They know they'll be the ones footing the bill so BO can buy votes.

Sarah Palin is definitely not going away. Romney is unelectable because he's a Mormon. Huckabee looks good by just doesn't have the star power that Palin has. Keep in mind the real issue with the last election was that McCain was too old. Palin on her part was drawing bigger crowds than he was.

The left would love to have her fend off one meritless ethics charge after another because they are terrified of her and with good reason. When I hear Sarah Palin talk, I hear a little Ronald Reagan, and remember the liberal press tried to paint him as an idiological moron too. She did the right thing by resigning and the issue for Democrats going forward is that if they bring up the countless meritless ethics violations accusations, they will have to also explain why they need to play dirty pool.

She wins when she leads and loses when she plays second fiddle. Rasmussen has her trailing BO by six points. As the wheels continue to come off the Hope and Change (Tax and Spend) Express, look for her to gain both interest and outright support.

Whether it is her at the helm or some other Republican, the nation will likely take a hard right in the next contest due to the unpressidented failure of all the Obama intiatives to date. But don't worry, she'll be a wonderful president.

I look forward to seeing BO trying to defend his failed, retarded rehashed New Deal programs that didn't work any better this time that they did in the 1930s.

Young Voters in the 2008 Election - Pew Research Center

Obama Stimulus, Tax Increases Are Losing Democrats Key Support - CBS News

Last edited by momonkey; 07-29-2009 at 12:24 AM..

Old 07-29-2009, 12:20 AM

7,788 posts, read 8,037,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
thankyou for trying to enlighten us commoners. you are a really deep thinker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies