Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 12:28 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
We haven't been in a war for over 60 years.
So you've protested all the ensuing conflicts du jour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 12:29 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,053,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Care to say that, face to face, with someone just back from Afghanistan or Iraq?

I know more than a few who would clean your clock for that.
Pipe down. It is not a knock on the troops. It is a knock on the leadership who decided these wars were necessary.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:36 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
How moronic can one get?:
"Actually the President campaigned on getting out of Iraq as quickly as possible. That seems to be happening. "

Neither have happened or are happening. I guess total ignorance is a core value of a liberal loon.
You must be Rip Van Winkle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama Campaign
"Barack Obama will work with military commanders on the ground in Iraq and in consultation with the Iraqi government to end the war safely and responsibly within 16 months."
Organizing for America | BarackObama.com | Iraq (http://www.barackobama.com/issues/iraq/side_by_side_comparison/index.php - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Current Situation
A combat brigade of 5,000 American troops may be brought home early from Iraq if the trend of reduced violence holds, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Wednesday.

It was the first suggestion that the Obama administration might rethink its decision to keep as many forces in Iraq as possible this year. Obama has settled on a gradual withdrawal plan despite his opposition to the war as a candidate.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:14 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
The anti-war left and right (yes, PLENTY of them exist) was hoodwinked and will be staying home in '12, guaranteed.
You didn't listen to anything Obama said.

He was adament about ramping up combat operations in Afghanistan and ending combat operations in Iraq in a sensible timeframe. Remember his line, "We will be as careful getting out of Iraq as we were careless getting in." ?

Yeah. That doesn't mean tomorrow. Campaign promise being fulfilled.

You have such a hatred for his presidency that you are simply blinded by your rage and purposely spreading lies about what he actually said just to turn people against him.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:49 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Is this what the Obama supporters we talking about when he said "Hope and Change"?

Why are we there? Can you really tell me it is worth it to chase a madman around the world?

UN: Civilian deaths up 24 percent in Afghanistan

GENEVA – The United Nations said Friday the number of civilians killed in conflict in Afghanistan has jumped 24 percent so far this year, with bombings by insurgent and airstrikes by international forces the biggest single killers.

In a grim assessment of the first half of 2009, the U.N. assistance mission in Afghanistan said the Taliban and other anti-government militants have become more deadly by shifting from ambush attacks to suicide bombings, roadside explosives and targeted assassinations.

UN: Civilian deaths up 24 percent in Afghanistan - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090731/ap_on_re_as/un_un_afghanistan - broken link)
I guess I should have expected everyone to be partisan and play the blame game. It matters little who took us in to Afghanistan. It matter nothing that Al Quaeda is supposedly there or Bin Laden. We will never drive terrorist out of business or for that matter out of the region. I am far more satisfied that we got rid of the Iraqi tyrant that wasting lives chasing around terrorist in mountain caves back and forth across the border. This is one that can not be won, ever. The Iraqi war was won and the reason why we went in is irrelevant now. The Afghanistan war is not winnable and the reason we went in is irrelevant too.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:54 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Is this what the Obama supporters we talking about when he said "Hope and Change"?

Why are we there? Can you really tell me it is worth it to chase a madman around the world?

UN: Civilian deaths up 24 percent in Afghanistan

GENEVA – The United Nations said Friday the number of civilians killed in conflict in Afghanistan has jumped 24 percent so far this year, with bombings by insurgent and airstrikes by international forces the biggest single killers.

In a grim assessment of the first half of 2009, the U.N. assistance mission in Afghanistan said the Taliban and other anti-government militants have become more deadly by shifting from ambush attacks to suicide bombings, roadside explosives and targeted assassinations.

UN: Civilian deaths up 24 percent in Afghanistan - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090731/ap_on_re_as/un_un_afghanistan - broken link)
I'm sure you weren't paying attention but Obama has always said he would draw troops down in Iraq, and increase their presence in Afghanistan where the Taliban actual is. I wouldn't be surprised if we get Osama Bin Laden before his term is up, something loser Bush could never do.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:59 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I'm sure you weren't paying attention but Obama has always said he would draw troops down in Iraq, and increase their presence in Afghanistan where the Taliban actual is. I wouldn't be surprised if we get Osama Bin Laden before his term is up, something loser Bush could never do.
It is another Vietnam in the making and I don't care who is was President, it is a total waste of time and lives. Sorry if I can't talk like a partisan but wasted lives are wasted lives not matter who the bonehead in the White House is. Obama happens to be the bonehead of choice once again ordering people to their deaths for no real purpose.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:14 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post

YouTube - Leave Osama Alone

Old 07-31-2009, 08:27 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times
Quote:
My party? Which party do you believe I'm in?

Oh well, you can't fix stupid.
Yeah and you can't change your stripes Mr neo-con.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies