Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:24 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,469,250 times

Advertisements

Have you seen any? I mean real ones, not gubmint ones.

Obama claimed that his stimulus scheme would produce (or save hahaha) 3.5 million jobs with about half being gubmint jobs.

Has anyone seen any jobs being created in the private sector with our stimulus money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 10:37 AM

571 posts, read 1,318,933 times
Lets see now, our high school bought 10 new lunch tables ($10,000.00),the local airports both bought a new fire truck each and there has been a lot of road repaving of what looked like OK pavement. No local factory jobs but I guess the guys who made the lunch tables and firetrucks and of course the paving crews got work. Of course the truck and tables were not made locally.
All that money is being spent by the municipalities on their own pet projects. In my State they created an office to oversee the Stimulus spending, they they created an office to try and count the jobs created. ( no figures released so far) The stimulus program has been kind to politicians and their pals.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:44 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
I remember lots of talk of infrastructure improvements - roads, bridges, etc.

My business is in trucking, and the vast majority of what our customers haul is construction equipment. If any substantial number of these "shovel ready" projects had begun, I'd have seen it. I haven't.

The cheerleaders love to defend their team by saying that "only 10% of the money has been distributed." I have to ask, then, what was the rush in getting it passed? Why the urgency, if it was going to take years to spend? Something smells here, and it's not something stuck to my shoe...

Old 08-04-2009, 10:48 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
A county in Tennessee put people back to work with stimulus funds, dropping the unemployment rate from 27% to the high teens.

Toledo took a bunch of police off layoffs and put them back to work.

A close friend was offered a job through stimulus funding and is responsible for creating more jobs.

Construction projects are underway in our area through stimulus funds, though I don't think there are as many shovel ready projects as they'd initially hoped. Perhaps as time goes on they'll come on line.

I know a lot of useless pork got thrown in, which bothers me, but what wasn't useless seems to be starting to work ... slowly but surely.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:53 AM

989 posts, read 2,499,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
Have you seen any? I mean real ones, not gubmint ones
23 stimulus jobs in Texas:
Texas officials worry that deluge of stimulus funds might not go to quality projects

"The latest report from the U.S. House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee said Texas' highway stimulus funds were responsible for 23 new jobs through the end of May."

Old 08-04-2009, 11:10 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
A county in Tennessee put people back to work with stimulus funds, dropping the unemployment rate from 27% to the high teens.
"A county in Tennessee"? Which one? What's your source?

That means very little if it's a county with 5,000 people. It's a little more significant if that county is Davidson or Shelby...

If that statistic is true, and we were talking about a lot of people, another prime-time news conference would no doubt be scheduled by The Campaigner to trumpet the fact. Since this is the first I've heard of it, I'll have to assume that it's either false, or in such a sparsely populated county as to be relatively meaningless.

Post your source so we can see some more details.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:12 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
No, it's a small county - I believe the workforce is 7,500. But tell those people with 27% unemployment they don't matter.

It's an example of the stimulus helping. But, should I deduce from your comment that rural people don't matter?

You can look it up. It was an NPR story.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Lots of stimulus projects (mostly road building) around here in southern New Hampshire. Please remember one person's pork is another persons job or contract and a government employee has health insurance and money to spend. That is what economic stimulus is all about. Money to spend.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:26 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,469,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
No, it's a small county - I believe the workforce is 7,500. But tell those people with 27% unemployment they don't matter.

It's an example of the stimulus helping. But, should I deduce from your comment that rural people don't matter?

You can look it up. It was an NPR story.

Yikes, that's not what I got from what he said. Why invent a wedge to try to put between people, is that tactic of last resort?

It's simple math, 10% of 100 or 10% of 100,000? It makes a big difference when someone is claiming success.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:35 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
Have you seen any? I mean real ones, not gubmint ones.

Obama claimed that his stimulus scheme would produce (or save hahaha) 3.5 million jobs with about half being gubmint jobs.

Has anyone seen any jobs being created in the private sector with our stimulus money?
Obviously the right wing shills that you listen to have not told you that the Stimulus Plan is a two year plan. As for jobs, the Cash For Clunkers is incredibly successful, to the disdain of the Republicans. It is creating jobs while stimulating the economy. If the Limbaugh gang would get out of the way, Obama can get us out of the very deep ditch that Bush drove us into. They are obstructionists and are nothing but a hindrance. They want Obama to fail even if it means crippling this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies