Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:20 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,213,561 times

Advertisements

“The role of the federal government is not to run the used-car business,” Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) said on “Fox News Sunday.” “I just think this is a great example of the stupidity coming out of Washington right now.”

Still, with just a week to go before the Senate wraps up its work for the summer, DeMint would not commit to filibustering a House-passed bill that would shift $2 billion in economic stimulus funds to the popular rebate program that was created to boost auto sales and help car owners trade their older gas guzzlers for newer, more fuel-efficient vehicles.

Read more: GOP could block clunkers cash - Patrick O'Connor - POLITICO.com

Yea, that's it... Go ahead and filibuster the bill and see how many votes that'll get ya...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 11:24 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,595,113 times
I don't think that's a good idea. I understand that people are opposed, but the time to stop it would have been prior to the program. To cut the funding right now would not be fair to the dealers that operated in good faith. They could stop the program and then reimburse the deals already made, but not following through would be poor.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:25 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,979,887 times
It will teach people to not trust the government. Probably a good thing in the long run.

Last edited by ViewFromThePeak; 08-03-2009 at 11:34 AM..

Old 08-03-2009, 11:27 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,472,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
“The role of the federal government is not to run the used-car business,” Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) said on “Fox News Sunday.” “I just think this is a great example of the stupidity coming out of Washington right now.”

Still, with just a week to go before the Senate wraps up its work for the summer, DeMint would not commit to filibustering a House-passed bill that would shift $2 billion in economic stimulus funds to the popular rebate program that was created to boost auto sales and help car owners trade their older gas guzzlers for newer, more fuel-efficient vehicles.

Read more: GOP could block clunkers cash - Patrick O'Connor - POLITICO.com

Yea, that's it... Go ahead and filibuster the bill and see how many votes that'll get ya...
The Senator is absolutely correct. The program violates the US Constitution and should never have been enacted into law in the first place. Since Democrats don't even read legislation before they vote on it, why should they bother to read something like the US Constitution?

Another fine example of how the liberal freaks spit on every American by regularly violating the Supreme Law of the Land whenever they feel like it.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:28 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,854,200 times
lol Americans are sick of the spending so yeah keep spending and see where that gets ya democrats

Old 08-03-2009, 11:46 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,213,561 times
Actually a brilliant comment from a member of the party of "No", although DeMint is intent on seeing Obama meet his "Waterloo"...
Further proof Republicans, DeMint especially, will block anything, even if it works, in an attempt to stop Barak Obama and his
plans for the American people from succeeding. In the process of course, he hurts his own constituency . I wonder what a poll
of car dealers in S.C. would look like relative to Cash for Clunkers and DeMint's position. Ya think?

Old 08-03-2009, 11:53 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,741,604 times
IMHO there should have been more to this.

1st: for some vehicles, the mpg rating only had to be 2 or more better than the clunker's mpg. I tune up my Jeep, properly inflate the tires and I see an increase in mpg exceeding that.

2nd: Instead of bailing out GM, the CARS rebate should have applied SOLELY to vehicles from the Big 3. Everyday there are news reporters interviewing car salesmen who claim that the public is beating a path to their door and buying up everything which qualifies.

Granted, some foreign cars are made here, and some American cars made elsewhere, but the bottomline for me is that we should have kept the $2 billion in American money in the hands of American corporations.

This should be done again in a certain number of years (2? 3?) and the Big 3 warned that the only vehicles which will quality have to be manufactured here as well as get good mpgs.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:00 PM

45,460 posts, read 60,680,465 times
It's working? Yeah I guess so. The only people I know who are talking about doing this, admittedly only 2, can't afford the POS they have now let alone a $20K car note.
I was looking at the NBP fleet to see what would qualify and don't have one: everything I own, including the F150 gets above 20MPG.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:03 PM

9,525 posts, read 9,841,632 times
I made a comment of this on another thread:

Edmunds.com said through a survey that around half of the sales through the program would have been conducted anyway, with or without the government subsidy.

The program should be funded enough to catch up on all of the applications, then ended.

This sales boost will help in the short term, plus some gas guzzlers are off the road. What's going to happen next month when there is no more program, and the months after that?

Old 08-03-2009, 12:05 PM

9,525 posts, read 9,841,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's working? Yeah I guess so. The only people I know who are talking about doing this, admittedly only 2, can't afford the POS they have now let alone a $20K car note.
I was looking at the NBP fleet to see what would qualify and don't have one: everything I own, including the F150 gets above 20MPG.
That reminds me, I heard this morning, a caller on a talk show said that he wanted in on the deal even though he knows he won't be able to afford the payments for very long. He said he won't care if they reposses the car, he'll enjoy it while he can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies