Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2009, 05:01 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,085 times

Advertisements

I think we should follow Japan's lead but take it a step farther. I think the Obama administration should attach a tax for overweight people into the healthcare bill. This would definitely make the bill a deficit neutral bill with all the fat cat liberals in the US. Me being the same wasteline I had in HS 32, see know problem with a tax for the inflated wasteline.

Summoned by the city of Amagasaki one recent morning, Minoru Nogiri, 45, a flower shop owner, found himself lining up to have his waistline measured. With no visible paunch, he seemed to run little risk of being classified as overweight, or metabo, the preferred word in Japan these days.

But because the new state-prescribed limit for male waistlines is a strict 33.5 inches, he had anxiously measured himself at home a couple of days earlier. “I’m on the border,” he said.

Under a national law that came into effect two months ago, companies and local governments must now measure the waistlines of Japanese people between the ages of 40 and 74 as part of their annual checkups. That represents more than 56 million waistlines, or about 44 percent of the entire population.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/world/asia/13fat.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 05:21 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
This only starts the arguments about what unhealthy habits are those that should require a surcharge.
One can be a skinny smoking alcohol abuser type A personality with high blood pressure.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
This only starts the arguments about what unhealthy habits are those that should require a surcharge.
One can be a skinny smoking alcohol abuser type A personality with high blood pressure.
That would be fine too, I don't drink or smoke, eat healthy, and drive the speed limit.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:39 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
I thnik if they want healthcare they need to put a broad txa on evreyone in payroll taxes to pay for it and raise it has the cost go up. That is the only way that people are goiing to have some skin in the game to deacide what they really want to spend on healthcare. Otherwsie its too easy to say let the other guy poay as is being proposed now.Every group that they propose being taxed from lower miidle to rich now have opposed pay9ng anyhting in the current funding loked at.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I thnik if they want healthcare they need to put a broad txa on evreyone in payroll taxes to pay for it and raise it has the cost go up. That is the only way that people are goiing to have some skin in the game to deacide what they really want to spend on healthcare. Otherwsie its too easy to say let the other guy poay as is being proposed now.Every group that they propose being taxed from lower miidle to rich now have opposed pay9ng anyhting in the current funding loked at.
The way people have skin in it is to eliminate health insurance altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies