Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 01:31 PM

563 posts, read 519,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Why should they not? Maybe you need a little something to get you in gear

Interesting how people who want all these 'druggies' to shape up and make something of their life now have a problem when they are given an equal opportunity to do so.
Convited drug offenders made a choice to break the law. Let them finance their own education being they had the money to purchase these illegal items or let them go to a bank and take out a personal loan. If they qualify for a personal loan, then I have no problem with them getting that money. I do have a problem with them getting stafford loans and any aid/grants on any level. Did they make a mistake? Yes. You also suffer long term consequences for those mistakes. There are a lot of people getting slighted by aid that do desearve it, has a clean record and does not get it for one reason or another. So don't tell me how a convicted drug addict/user should get the same shot as me and others who decided to listen to our parents and teachers and be upstanding law abiding citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 01:34 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,477,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
College students convicted of drug possession may soon get access to federal student loans due to a little-noticed provision in the 181-page Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 2009.

The provision would reverse a 1998 amendment that made students convicted of drug-possession ineligible to receive federal funding unless they completed a rehabilitation program and passed two unannounced drug tests. Students convicted of dealing drugs would continue to be prohibited from receiving financial aid.

Drug Offenders To Get Federal Student Aid Under New Bill - Political News - FOXNews.com

Under Obama more money is wasted....wow, great...if you have a son or daughter who doesn't qualify...maybe get them on drugs and they will qualify... Is this what American wants?
Give me a break. So if somebody makes a mistake they should be forever excluded from furthering their education with student loans?

The new proposal sounds fine to me. Get an education and better yourself and society.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:49 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,322,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Storm View Post
Convited drug offenders made a choice to break the law. Let them finance their own education being they had the money to purchase these illegal items or let them go to a bank and take out a personal loan. If they qualify for a personal loan, then I have no problem with them getting that money. I do have a problem with them getting stafford loans and any aid/grants on any level. Did they make a mistake? Yes. You also suffer long term consequences for those mistakes. There are a lot of people getting slighted by aid that do desearve it, has a clean record and does not get it for one reason or another. So don't tell me how a convicted drug addict/user should get the same shot as me and others who decided to listen to our parents and teachers and be upstanding law abiding citizens.

This guys wasn't answering in response to you, but he may as well have been

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Give me a break. So if somebody makes a mistake they should be forever excluded from furthering their education with student loans?

The new proposal sounds fine to me. Get an education and better yourself and society.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:17 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,388,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Storm View Post
What's the issue with the getting a Stafford loan (which is not the same as a grant) since it has to be repaid? As far as I know, anybody can get a Stafford loan; if you don't qualify for subsidized due to your parents making too much money then you can qualify for unsubsidized - you just have to pay interest while you're in school. It’s not like they’re taking money away from someone else….can you explain?

Old 12-07-2009, 02:19 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times
thank goodness no more stupid drug dealers.
(please mr congress please mr obama stop the spending enough)

Old 12-07-2009, 02:27 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,388,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
thank goodness no more stupid drug dealers.
(please mr congress please mr obama stop the spending enough)
Drug dealers are not included.
Quote:
Students convicted of dealing drugs would continue to be prohibited from receiving financial aid.
(please Mr.Huckleberry read before posting)

Old 12-07-2009, 02:27 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,695,683 times
Good. Financial aid is there to help people better their lives. If someone has been arrested and charged with drug possession, they could probably use the help.

We don't make society better by imposing lifetime punishments on people for first-time drug charges.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
What's the issue with the getting a Stafford loan (which is not the same as a grant) since it has to be repaid? As far as I know, anybody can get a Stafford loan; if you don't qualify for subsidized due to your parents making too much money then you can qualify for unsubsidized - you just have to pay interest while you're in school. It’s not like they’re taking money away from someone else….can you explain?
This is my issue. They are a burden on society. Yes some have paid their dues either by fines, probation or jail. Because of their lack of care for themselves, their families and others around them, getting educated should not be handed to them. The guarenteed student loans should be for people who are law abiding people.

If you are a convicted anything, go to the bank and get a loan. If you do not qualify for a loan, then instead of spending money on the drugs, they could have putten it towards their education. Those are the people who acted stupidly I think is a word that the president has used in the past.

Bottom line, let them go to the Bank and get their Own loan for school.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:24 PM

[quote=SLCPUNK;11927159]Give me a break. So if somebody makes a mistake they should be forever excluded from furthering their education with student loans?quote]

YES

Old 12-07-2009, 05:25 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,260,441 times
Quote:
The guarenteed student loans should be for people who are law abiding people.
Sooooo..you want to exclude anyone who has had ever broken the law? Run a red light? Failed to register their car in time? Didn't pay their cable bill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies