Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 03:51 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Storm View Post
I understand what you are saying. They should not get one thin nickle in aid for school. Let them get a job, put money away and pay for school. Go to an instate school such as the local community college which is not too too expensive.

They made a choice to go down that road, not me. There are more deserving people that can use that money.
Any idea how difficult it is for people to land a job WITH a prison record? Add a lack of education to that and it spells disaster...and all the more reason to reoffend out of frustration alone.

I've heard the exact same arguments against helping offenders as I have against helping those on food stamps/TANF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 04:04 PM

563 posts, read 518,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Spent money to clean up the Republican mess, spending which started with the Republican as the economy began to collapse while Bush was still in office.

But I'm through with you (in the words of Barbara Bush) because if posting on this board has taught me anything it's that you can't have a reasonable discussion with righties who go on and on about czars or those of you who for some reason think Obama is a god or a czar or king or something..... That's all just too weird.
The funny thing is you keep referring to me as a righty which I am not. You can't have a discussion on this because you can not answer the question, so that is the quick and easy way out. So, we are spending money to clean up what Bush did. I am no Bush fan. But you are right, you can not have a discussion on here with someone Blind. I still ask you, name ONE, UNO, UN, A, I, just one thing he has done in his 1 year as president? The fact of the matter is, you can not.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:22 PM

Now, I am not a George Bush fan in any way, but here is something that was sent to me by a fellow registered Democrat....Just for you to ponder:

IF GEORGE BUSH WAS AN IDIOT
>

> If George W. Bush had been the first President to need a teleprompter
> installed to be able to get through a press conference, would you have
> laughed and said this is more proof of how he inept he is on his own
> and is really controlled by smarter men behind the scenes?
>
> If George W. Bush had spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to take
> Laura Bush to a play in NYC, would you have approved?
>
> If George W. Bush had reduced your retirement plan's holdings and
> given the unions a majority stake in GM, would you have approved?
>
> If George W. Bush had made a joke at the expense of the Special
> Olympics, would you have approved?
>
> If George W. Bush had given Gordon Brown a set of inexpensive and
> incorrectly formatted DVDs, when Gordon Brown had given him a
> thoughtful and historically significant gift, would you have
> approved?
>
> If George W. Bush had given the Queen of England an iPod containing
> videos of his speeches, would you have thought this embarrassingly
> narcissistic an d tacky?
>
> If George W. Bush had bowed to the King of Saudi Arabia , would you
> have approved?
>
> If George W. Bush had visited Austria and made reference to the
> non-existent "Austrian language," would you have brushed it off as a
> minor slip?
>
> If George W. Bush had filled his cabinet and circle of advisers with
> people who cannot seem to keep current in their income taxes, would you
> have approved?
>
> If George W. Bush had been so Spanish illiterate as to refer to "Cinco
> de Cuatro" in front of the Mexican ambassador when it was the 5th of May
> (Cinco de Mayo), and continued to flub it when he tried again, would you
> have winced in embarrassment?
>
> If George W. Bush had mis-spelled the word "advice" would you have
> hammered him for it for years like Dan Quayle and potatoe as proof of
> what a dunce he is?
>
> If George W. Bush had burned 9,000 gallons of jet fuel to go plant a
> single tree on Earth Day, would you have concluded he's a hypocrite?
>
> If George W. Bush's administration had okayed Air Force One flying low
> over millions of people followed by a jet fighter in downtown
> Manhattan causing widespread panic, would you have wondered whether
> they actually get what happened on 9-11?
>
> If George W. Bush had failed to send relief aid to flood victims
> throughout the Midwest which had more people killed or made homeless
> than in New Orleans , would you want it made into a major on-going
> political issue with claims of racism and incompetence?
>
> If George W. Bush had ordered the firing of the CEO of a major
> corporation, even though he had no constitutional authority to do so,
> would you have approved?
>
> If George W Bush had proposed to double the national debt, which had
> taken more than two centuries to accumulate, in one year, would you
> have approved?
>
> If George W. Bush had then proposed to double the debt again within 10
> years, would you have approved?
>
> So, tell me again, what is it about Obama that makes him so brilliant
> and impressive? Can't think of anything? Don't worry. He's done all
> this in 5 months -- so you'll have three years and seven months to
> come up with an answer.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:57 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Quote:
I understand what you are saying. They should not get one thin nickle in aid for school. Let them get a job, put money away and pay for school. Go to an instate school such as the local community college which is not too too expensive.

They made a choice to go down that road, not me. There are more deserving people that can use that money.
They are not getting free money, they are getting a loan. And that's fine with me as it takes nothing away from me, you or anyone else. And most probably do go to instate schools and community colleges. But you know, if they have the stats for Harvard we probably shouldn't waste that intelligence. Don't you agree?
But step up to the plate...will YOU give them a job? It would be a start.
I don't really understand the thought process of those who say stuff like you. "they chose to make a mistake now they must suffer FOREVER!!". Sound like you are projecting, deflecting, or something. Especially when targeting teenagers who, by nature, are not at their intellictual peak.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
They are not getting free money, they are getting a loan. And that's fine with me as it takes nothing away from me, you or anyone else. And most probably do go to instate schools and community colleges. But you know, if they have the stats for Harvard we probably shouldn't waste that intelligence. Don't you agree?
I don't really understand the thought process of those who say stuff like you. "they chose to make a mistake now they must suffer FOREVER!!". Sound like you are projecting, deflecting, or something. Especially when targeting teenagers who, by nature, are not at their intellictual peak.
Any child whose parents teach them right from wrong early on in life should not have a problem. I have no problem with someone going to Harvard, but not on a scholarship if they have a conviction.

To answer your question about hiring someone with a record; I already do. I do a lot of our interviewing and hiring at the company I work for. Is it a prestigeous job? No. Can they make a lot of money? Yes. If they bring drugs on the job, they can kiss their position good bye. I do give them a shot if I feel they can do the job.

Unfortunatley when someone breaks the law of "makes a mistake", yes, that should follow them forever. My parents made sure I understood that from a very very young age and it had always stuck with me. Have I been around temptation to try things? Yes. BUT, I knew right from wrong and always made the correct decision.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
Quote:
Why should someone who wasted their own money on drugs be given any kind of loan for anything? Let them clean up, get a job and pay their own way. Funny they never needed loans to buy costly illegal drugs.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why should someone who wasted their own money on drugs be given any kind of loan for anything? Let them clean up, get a job and pay their own way. Funny they never needed loans to buy costly illegal drugs.
AMEN!!!

Old 12-05-2009, 12:35 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,372,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
College students convicted of drug possession may soon get access to federal student loans due to a little-noticed provision in the 181-page Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 2009.

The provision would reverse a 1998 amendment that made students convicted of drug-possession ineligible to receive federal funding unless they completed a rehabilitation program and passed two unannounced drug tests. Students convicted of dealing drugs would continue to be prohibited from receiving financial aid.

Drug Offenders To Get Federal Student Aid Under New Bill - Political News - FOXNews.com

Under Obama more money is wasted....wow, great...if you have a son or daughter who doesn't qualify...maybe get them on drugs and they will qualify... Is this what American wants?
It would be so appreciated if you were to actually read the links and try to understand them before you create threads to complain about Obama...this is a loan. A loan that will have to be repaid.

It is not a scholarship; it is not a grant; it's a loan. They are still paying for their own education.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:42 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Quote:
AMEN!!!
Amen? You clearly don't understand anything about the OP do you? Ignorance is so rampant on the internet.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Amen? You clearly don't understand anything about the OP do you? Ignorance is so rampant on the internet.
Yes, Amen!!! So, if you are so smart, explain it? Show me the way? They should not get one nickle, one dime!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies